RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RMVXA] Book reading script [RESOLVED]

Rep:
Level 67
"I am the Lord, thy Super Cow..."
I've looked around and been unable to find anything useful for Ace other than a translation of a Soja Bird script from VX that I can't get to work right and requires too much additional stuff to set up anyway.
What I'd really like is something like ForeverZero's XP script here:
http://forum.chaos-project.com/index.php?topic=7404.0
I PM'd asking if he had any plans to convert it, but no response - I figure he has his hands full with ARC and life and such.
Anyhow, his system is functional and simplistic, just what I need. If anyone is able to convert it or come up with a very similar system, I would be willing to have your babies if such a thing were biologically possible. I hope you'll settle for my eternal gratitude. If you need screenies or whatever of what that script looks like in action, let me know and I will provide.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 09:39:46 PM by Sacrifyx »

Rep: +0/-0Level 89
I second this, I really need this too.
@Sacrifyx isn't there a program or something online that can convert VX scripts to VXA scripts? I'm probably mad.

Rep:
Level 67
I second this, I really need this too.
@Sacrifyx isn't there a program or something online that can convert VX scripts to VXA scripts? I'm probably mad.
That I don't know, but it wouldn't matter anyway is this is an XP script.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
There is no program that could automatically convert VX scripts to VXA.

That is an interesting system. I would write something for you, but I have my hands full at the moment unfortunately. Sorry.

Rep:
Level 77
RMRK Junior
Animations, possibly, as I don't think there's really any difference between VX and VXA (and I don't remember what the differences are with XP)

Rep:
Level 67
Can anyone think of a way I could event this instead? In concept, I should be able to make an event - maybe a common event? - that's just the text of the book. But I'd need a menu to call the list of books that have been found and select a book from that list...is that even possible?

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
You could do it by picture eventing, but I must confess that can be a daunting task unless you are already quite familiar with using variables and conditional branches in an effective and efficient way to create the list.

Rep:
Level 67
Is there a quick way to describe what you're talking about or should I mosey over to the eventing help board to continue with this?

Rep:
Level 97
I am not actually positive there are any useful tutorials on picture eventing in the eventing boards, unfortunately.

Basically, it is about using the Show Picture command to create the graphics of a new scene. So, for instance, if you wanted a couple windows, you would save pictures of the windows in the size you desire and then just show them with the Show Picture command. The difficulty is that you then need to show a number of pictures for each list command, so that involves recording which books are unlocked with a variable or switches and using conditional branches to determine which, if any, are available, and showing pictures of the names of each unlocked book.

You also need to be able to create a cursor, again with pictures, but you would need to track its index and position in order to move it around. Etc etc.

Scripts are generally much, much more efficient than events for this kind of functionality; it is a bit of a pain to picture event a menu and can generate significant lag if you do it wrong.

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
You could always use items that call a common event and turn on a switch.
This way, if you use an item, the common event will show the pictures of the book you need.

But then again, you'll need a lot of common events or one really huge common event. Like Modern said, this will lag a huge lot and it will make not only your game turn out slow, it will also mean that older computers might even crash because of the power it needs.

My advice: wait for someone to script this for you or modify a VX/XP script to RGSS3!

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 67
You could always use items that call a common event and turn on a switch.
This way, if you use an item, the common event will show the pictures of the book you need.

But then again, you'll need a lot of common events or one really huge common event. Like Modern said, this will lag a huge lot and it will make not only your game turn out slow, it will also mean that older computers might even crash because of the power it needs.

My advice: wait for someone to script this for you or modify a VX/XP script to RGSS3!
Yeah, I guess I'll have to wait.

Rep:
Level 67
I stumbled across another system that seems to be doing the trick for me (Advanced Text Reader by Estriole, if anyone is interested).

Rep:
Level 84
Send link to said script please. I'd like to take a look at it and see if it's worth putting into my game.

Rep:
Level 67
Find it here, there's also a demo available:
http://www.rpgmakervxace.net/topic/5776-est-advanced-text-reader/

I've posted in that thread to see if Estriole might be willing or able to add functionality like in the script in my OP, namely that of making the texts 'unlockable' and adding a scene to call from the menu that would allow you to view the books you've already picked up. No reply yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. In any case, this is definitely better than nothing and will allow me to move my project forward.