RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VX][REQUEST]In-game Map editor

Rep:
Level 55
RMRK Junior
In-game Map Editor
04/09/2012

Summary
I've discovered that is possible to change a single tile of a specific map during the game and even make the change permanent. So I fought about making an in-game Map editor, similar to the one of RPG Maker.
I've got a really big problem, and its name is Autotiling.
Everyone's got in mind the map editor of RPG?
So each time you put a tile in a part of the map the autotiling is done by modifing the eight tiles around the new one the make them fit togheter.
An example is that if you put a Water Tile in the middle of the grass, the surrounding eight tile will be still of grass but with a dirt border. The water tile looks like a puddle.
If we put a Water Tile next to Water Tile we put before, we will not have two neighbourg puddles but a sigle one, with a two tiles surface.
This is thanks to autotiling.
The great problem is that autotiling is done by an Autotile Algorithm (like the one described here:http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/106884/Implementing-Auto-tiling-Functionality-in-a-Tile-M)
And the second big problem is that RPG VX works with 48 tiles and not 16 (i'm saying this because the link describes a 16-tile autotile algorithm).
So anyone knows more about the autotile algorithm of RPG Maker?
Anyone figured out something following my same thoughts?
Anyone wants to challenge himself trying to do this in-game Map editor?
I'll accept also just advices or explanations if someone knows something!
Many many many thanks in advance!!!!

Features Desired

Did you search?
yes

Where did you search?
  • google
  • Rpg Maker VX Community
  • Rpg Maker Web Official forums

What did you search for?
  • In-game Map Editor