RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Resolved] I need help with events

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
1- I'm trying to do this thing where if the character steps into a certain area, rather than just one certain square, they will say something, then the message won't come back after stepping in any of the places that would cause them to say what they're going to say.

2- I'm trying to also make a thing where there are multiple walls/solid tiles where you can press an action button to make the character say something. Now the more complicated part of this is-
If they use the action button on another solid, it'll say the same thing if they've only done so once.
If they use the action button on another solid after doing so already for a different solid, it'll have a different text.
If they use the action button on the same solid and/or group of solids, nothing will happen.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 07:40:00 PM by KageTori »

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
1st Problem: I would normally recommend variables for this, but you seem to be quite new to this so I'll suggest something simpler.
Spoiler for:
Event Page 1

Event Page 2

You do not have to copy me exactly, but make sure you understand what you are doing first :)

2nd Problem: Well I think you could figure out how to solve those problems with common sense after learning how to use variables, so I will show you how to do that
Spoiler for:
Event Page

You create the random variable in the 'control variables' event command, it looks like this

and you set up the conditional branch like so

All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 66
RMRK Junior
If I understood the first one right, you want an event to be triggered within an large area without having to make an excessive amount of events, right? I know a way this could be done through scripting, but it's simple to do with events aswell.

First, you'll have to make 4 events, 3 of them should be empty, the forth will run through parallel-process. You place them so that each of them have a parallel with another, I'll show an example;

1-----3    The number of tiles you leave between them will become the area where the event will be triggered.
           4 # parallel process

When you've set them up, you'll just have to make a couple of variables(with the parallel process event ofcourse). Do it like this;

Code: [Select]
Variable1 = Player Map X
Variable2 = Player Map Y
Variable3 = Event1 Map X
Variable4 = Event2 Map Y
Variable5 = Event3 Map X
Variable6 = Event4 Map Y (you see I set them up so it'd be accurate to how i placed them earlier.)

Next, make an Conditional Branch, the event id's will be the same as shown before.

Code: [Select]
Conditional Branch: [Variable] Player Map X] > [Variable] Event1 Map X (larger than)
Conditional Branch: [Variable] Player Map X] < [Variable] Event3 Map X (lesser than)
Conditional Branch: [Variable] Player Map Y] > [Variable] Event2 Map Y (larger than)
Conditional Branch: [Variable] Player Map Y] < [Variable] Event4 Map X (lesser than)
Show Text Message: (whatever you want to write)
Control Self Switch: A = ON

And there you go, hope it was simple enough :)

Rep: +0/-0Level 55
RMRK Junior
Wow, quick replies here, thanks!

D&P3's suggestion was more helpful because the main thing I needed help with was getting one event to end the rest in the group of events since what I had in mind was something that was three blocks wide, although Mangomight's information will probably be useful later on.