RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The Dog Days of August

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

Alright fellas, it's time, it's here, it's now.

The Dog Days of August, A.K.A. The Guilds 3.0, A.K.A. Horrible Failure Act 3, is upon us at last.</fadark>

By popular request, and with community support, I bring you our third attempt at making cool shit in groups over 3 members with a timeframe of more than a single week.  This time, with a rather reality-TV esque spin, suggested by our very own Modern Algebra (who we love very much, and is sooo not the most unsung staff member).

IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THIS IS AN RPG MAKER COMPETITION

The Current Phase

We are currently HEATING UP!
This phase will end on Saturday, August 11th, at 11:59am EST

The Rules, A.K.A. How this shit goes down.

Team Signup Rules
Spoiler for:
  • Every team must have a captain.
  • There can be more than two guilds.
  • The guild must decide upon a name by the end of the concept phase.
  • Teams do not have to be of equal size
  • You may not sign up to be on a particular team

The Picking Process
Spoiler for:
  • Sunday, July 22nd, all of the team captains will meet in a top-secret IRC channel that isn't #crankeye.
  • First, there will be round-robin picking, in which each team captain picks from the pool of available team members, until there are no team members left.
  • If a team captain takes longer than 5 minutes to select their next team member, they forego that round of picks (disconnections nonwithstanding).
  • Once all team members have been picked, the trading phase will begin.
  • For one hour, team captains will be allowed to offer each other trades for team members.  These trades must then be sanctioned by the competition moderator (NAMKCOR)

The Competition Proper
Spoiler for:
The Dog Days of August will take place in week long slices.

Week 0: July 22nd through July 28th, The Concept Phase 
  • For this week, the guild is required to plan out their project.
  • Concept Art and Writing can be done, but no "official" work can begin on the game.  What is "official" is up to the discretion of the competition moderator (NAMKCOR).  This includes but is not limited to face sets, sprites, sprite sheets, battlers, music, scripts, or libraries that are intended to be in the project proper.  Stylistic examples are fine.
  • On Saturday the 28th, each guild MUST submit a concept post to be judged by the panel.  Full disclosure is not necessary, however feature teasers, art teasers, and story teasers are perfect.  These teasers must be made in the public Concept Showcase thread (to be made).

Week 1: July 29th through August 4th, ROUND 1
  • Work on the game proper can begin!
  • Halfway through week 1 (Wednesday the 1st), a challenge will be announced.  Each team is required to fulfill the challenge conditions, or recieve a failing mark for the week.  The challenge is due on Saturday the 4th.  These submissions will be judged in secret by the panel.

Week 2: August 5th through August 11th, HEATING UP
  • Work on the game proper continues
  • Halfway through week 2 (Wednesday the 8th), a challenge will be announced.  Each team is required to fulfill the challenge conditions, or recieve a failing mark for the week.  The challenge is due on Saturday the 11th.  These submissions will be judged in secret by the panel.

Week 3: August 12th through August 18th, SWELTERING FURY
  • Work on the game proper continues
  • Halfway through week 3 (Wednesday the 15th), a challenge will be announced.  Each team is required to fulfill the challenge conditions, or recieve a failing mark for the week.  The challenge is due on Saturday the 18th.  These submissions will be judged in secret by the panel.

Week 4: July 19th through August 25th, SHOWDOWN
  • Work on the game proper must be completed!
  • There will be no challenge in the showdown week
  • On Saturday the 25th, at 12:00 EST, all games must be submitted to the contest moderator (NAMKCOR).  They will be distributed to the panel to be judged, then released to the public the day of results.

!!! PLEASE NOTE !!!
Community resource usage is 100% fine, HOWEVER, nothing can be custom made for the game by anyone who is not a guild member.

Judgement Rules
Spoiler for:
  • Each of the judges is required to give a score between 0 and 5 points, based on how well a team completes the week's challenge.  This includes how complete the challenge was, how well they adhered to the challenge requirements, and if they went off course, or broke any of the challenge rules.
  • For final game judgement, each judge will give a score of 0 to 5 based on the overall quality, execution, style, and entertainment of the game.  This can be a personal score, but it is recommended that one takes into account how well put together a game is, and not penalize it solely on not being fun to you.
  • Scores for each challenge must be in the day after the challenge is due.
  • Scores for the final game must be turned in the week after they are due.
  • Scores do NOT have to be whole numbers.

How the Winners are Decided
Spoiler for:
  • Every week, each guild receives up to 5 points from each judge.  The average of the judges' scores is taken (rounded to the nearest tenth), and added to the guild's cumulative score.  Following the final judgement, the team with the most points wins.
  • Failing to complete a challenge results in a score of zero for that week.  You will not be disqualified for failing to turn in a challenge.
  • Failing to submit a final game will result in disqualification.

The Guild Leaders

• Acolyte
  • Gracie
  • D&P3

The Guild Hopefuls

• IAMFORTE - Mapper
  • Bayard - Jack-of-all-Trades/Mascot
  • Madurai - Writer/Eventer/Mapper
  • blackjackal211 - Writer/Musician
  • Omri Lahav - Musician
  • Lethrface - Spriter
  • Qwerty - Writer
  • cozziekuns - Eventer/Scripter
  • fci525 - Writer/Dialogue
  • ComputerZombies - Writer
  • Pacman - Scripting/Eventing
  • Cloudfall - Music/Mapping
  • Brady - Eventing/Mapping/Spriter
  • Mustidie - Writer/Artist
  • Epicrolo - Musician
  • 7RacerBoy77 - Eventer/Writer
  • Statesman88 - Mapper/Eventer
  • BadWolf - Writer
  • Gallade - Storyboarder/Eventer
  • Jomarcenter - Grammar? Iunno.
  • MelynnRose - Artist/Spriter
  • Anski - Writer/Concept Artist/Queen
  • misterdelta99 - Writer/Music
  • TDS - Scripting Guru

The Judges

• Holk
  • Firerain
  • Nightwolf
  • Irock
  • Amycha19
  • Joy[/li[
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:51:15 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'll judge.

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I'm busy at certain points in august, but I should be able to participate as primarily a mapper

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I shall lead my team to victory.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
can i be a judge

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Saturday, July 11th
???
Take me to this universe of yours where the 11th of July 2012 is a Saturday.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
I've a feeling I'm going to regret it with my lack of time and muse lately, but I'll sign up for a guild hopeful to help get things rolling. Maybe it'll help me find my focus again. Put me down as Eventer/Scripter/Jack-Of-All-Trades/Mascot, the kind of person who'll do whatever is needed to advance the progress. I'd suggest extending the time for letting people join in though, you never know who's on vacation at the moment.

Also, I'll commit hara kiri if I somehow get stuck in a certain someone's LO guild. :|
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:06:47 PM by Bayard »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I could, but it would either cut into the planning or actual work time.  The idea was to have all the work done in august, hence the name.

Rep:
Level 73
Original Soul
Well, I'd love to be a writer for a team for this. Sounds really fun.

Rep:
Level 67
RMRK Junior
I've actually got a lot of free time to do this.  I fancy myself a writer and musician, but I'm flexible.

Rep:
Level 85
Omri Lahav - Professional composer for media.
I'd like to sign up as a musician.
Professional composer for video games, have worked with some major companies (details on request), own a state-of-the-art studio and offer mixed and mastered, pro quality music.
Previous works:
http://soundclick.com/OmriLahav
http://OmriLahav.com

Omri@OmriLahav.com
Omri Lahav,
Quality composer / arranger for media.
Music team lead and principal composer for Wildfire Games' "0.A.D."

Omri@OmriLahav.com
http://OmriLahav.com

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I'd join in as a spriter but I'm not 100% sure how my job schedule will be.  For the next two or three weeks at least, I'll be working 8 to 5 at my new job during training.  (I may regret this though and keep in mind I may have to drop out at the last second depending on how the job goes)
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep: +0/-0Level 57
RMRK Junior
I would like to be a writer.  :lol:

Rep: +0/-0Level 69
Developer
Due to work and personal project constraints, I can not commit to a team. However, I could judge if it is needed!

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I guess I can join in as an eventer/scripter.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
I'm adding Aedales name to the judge list for the moment unless Namkcor says otherwise. I think she'd prefer it if the judges for a forum competition had more than one post on the forum, so Iunno. Everyone else is added to the roster, both known members and new ones. QwertyholyshitI'vegotalongname needs a name change though.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I would prefer the judges are active community members that I can rely on to actually submit scores.

Rep: +0/-0Level 61
RMRK Junior
I could be a writer, be it story, dialog, or whatever. There's a link to an excerpt from a short story I'm working on. I realize it's not the same kind of writing, but I thought a sample might be nice.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgvbdfv512dmx9u/1.txt

Rep:
Level 68
Let's kick some ass
I'm in. If anybody wants me that is ;) I'm a writer with five years of experience in making games and 2 years of computer journalism. My current job is at dorktech.com and my articles are at http://dorktech.com/author/chris-mccrory/

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
    Judgement Rules
    Spoiler for:
    • Each of the judges is required to give a score between 0 and 5 points, based on how well a team completes the week's challenge.  This includes how complete the challenge was, how well they adhered to the challenge requirements, and if they went off course, or broke any of the challenge rules.
    • For final game judgement, each judge will give a score of 0 to 5 based on the overall quality, execution, style, and entertainment of the game.  This can be a personal score, but it is recommended that one takes into account how well put together a game is, and not penalize it solely on not being fun to you.
    [li]Scores for each challenge must be in the
    [/li][/list]
    What?

I love Firerain
    Rep:
    Level 97
    =D
    I don't really know how busy I will be in August, or if I'll be completely free - it depends on a lot of factors so,
    I can sign up as a Judge, if it's okay that I withdraw from my position if I feel I can't really get the job done~
    Arlen is hot.

Rep:
    Level 96
    2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
    This looks as if it will be deliciously entertaining.

I'll spectate.

Hungry
    Rep:
    Level 96
    Mawbeast
      Judgement Rules
      Spoiler for:
      [li]Scores for each challenge must be in the
      [/li][/list]
      What?

It should have said that the scores need to be in the day after the challenge is due.  Fixed.

I don't really know how busy I will be in August, or if I'll be completely free - it depends on a lot of factors so,
      I can sign up as a Judge, if it's okay that I withdraw from my position if I feel I can't really get the job done~

If you were to withdraw, understand that all of your scores would be stricken out.

It should be fun to see how these teams full of writers will MAKE A GAME.

Rep:
      Level 102
      2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
      I'll be a judge then. :)