RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Audio Recording?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
So I finally decided I would actually record stuff with this microphone I bought, but I was wondering what software/programs/effects are good to use. The Blue Yeti records well, but it records EVERYTHING so it kinda picks up all the unnecessary noise, too, so I was wondering if there were any good and reliable sources of information for recording well and stuff.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
zzz should have mentioned I have Audacity, but I don't know how to use it beyond pressing the Record button, and the main thing is that I don't know which effects should be used to get the best sound out of a recording.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Audacity has a rather good wiki with explanations and tutorials.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/

Also look into getting GuitarRig if you want cheap access to good effects. It's not going to blow away a Mesa Boogie but it will knockout everything in its price range provided your computer can run it with insignificant latency. Guarantee you it'll sound better than your guitar through your amp through the mic, though.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
zzz should have mentioned I have Audacity, but I don't know how to use it beyond pressing the Record button, and the main thing is that I don't know which effects should be used to get the best sound out of a recording.

that's your fault at this point
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Which is the entire point of making this thread.

@SJR: Thanks, it was dumb of me to not consult the documentation initially, but I'll go read through it now.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Record a little "silence" before or after your actual recording, then you can use the noise removal filter, telling it to consider that background noise silence as what to remove.

I run the noise filter over my voice recordings, cleans them right up. You may have to tweak the sliders a little bit. Trial and error.

In Audacity's settings, increase the preview length from the low default to like 30 seconds or something. Lets you preview effects much better.
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
kk thanks Roph.

Out of curiousity (if these even make a difference): Would it be better to record soft and amplify it or record loud and tone it down? And my microphone has a built-in turning knob thing for gain so would you think it would be best to bring up the gain and decrease the recording volume settings on the computer or vice versa? Or would that just be an issue of preference of sound?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I always try to make it as loud as possible without clipping.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
if it's voice you're going to be recording, do some coughing and check your levels so that the coughs just reach peak.
bringing sexy back

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Turn your head while you cough.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
And move away from the mic to breathe in :V
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
No, always leave headroom when you record. Not too soft, not too loud. You can always compress/limit after recording, (or simply turn it up if you don't have those tools at your disposal) but if your track is already too loud it's going to sound horrible.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero

that's your fault at this point

Rude >:C

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
And move away from the mic to breathe in :V

Chocolate Raaain!
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.