RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[VXA Help] Interrupt Event Text w/ Button Input?

Rep: +0/-0Level 56
My situation is that I have an NPC that spews a long pretentious monologue through several text boxes.  I'd like for the X button ("A" key) to, if pressed at any time during the whole process, to interrupt the current displaying text (or at least prevent the next text box) and display a separate set of text containing optional protagonist smack talk.

Think Renegade options from Mass Effect.

The closest I've gotten to this is having an event separate from the NPC where if button X is pressed, a variable is changed to stop the NPC (which is running on the condition of a variable) and new text is displayed.  However, I have to hold down the A key while pressing Z to advance the NPC's monologue, so that while holding A, it's recognized as the button X being pressed in between the processing of the NPC's text boxes, allowing that separate event to activate.  I'd prefer a simple, single button press.  If I knew how to do this properly, then besides Renegade options, I'd have a way to skip text more effectively.

tl;dr: I've tried several things and am thus assuming that no key input other than button A (enter, space, Z key) is recognized while text is actually being drawn.  Am I wrong, overlooking something, or just not creative enough?  Is there a script that will fulfill my wishes?