RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
2K3~VXA...worth the time/money?

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
(tl;dr at bottom for quick-answer-ers)
Before you jump in and go "definitely better" I'm well aware that it's better.  I've got the VXA trial version and am mind-blown by the prettiness and sheer betterness of it, and I do want it.

However, the game I'm making now is going to be my summer project and I intend to put a fair amount of time into it, but is also going to be fairly one-man considering the tumbleweed in my recruitment (altough, that may just be becasue it's 2K3 and...apparently 2K3 is dead these days?). 

I've had 2K3 for years and know it fairly well, but VXA has me pretty lost on a lot of things, so not only would I need to start the game from scratch (it's in its infancy atm, so I'm okay with that, to a degree) but I'll also need to re-learn the entire programme, get entirely new tilesets all over again and make appropriate edits again, as well as relearn how they work to edit them and by getting all new sprites etc from scratch; I'd basically lose eveyrthing.  I don't have much of a game, but I have spent some amount of time collecting resources towards it to make it fuller.
Saying that, I'm also using a lot of placeholders as I'm without help, and thinking that VXA might attract more people to team up with me and work towards making it faster, so I might also get caught up quickly.

Also, I did consider VX, but I've looked into that and...a lot of stuff is missing that I like, VXA seems to be more up my alley, and I understand it a fair amount better.  An it looks kick-ass.

TL;DR?
Project has started, but in it's infancy
I have a fair amount of resources, but no help
I have no help, but am using 2K3 which nobody uses anymore, apparently
I'd have to entirely relearn the program, but maybe help will speed that up
It's a summer project that I want to put a lot of time into, but VXA costs a heap

So it's not just about the money, but on whole, in my situation...is it worth it to start again from scratch or just keep going with 2K3?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:37:08 AM by Brady »

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
I'd say you should make the jump, they're not... radically different, the basics are the same. You'd need to relearn the workings of tilesets, which might be the toughest part. They're not as easy and accessible as they are in 2k3 sadly. The resources you have would also need to be repurposed, VXA uses wildly different resolutions which you would need to take into account. IMO it's worth it for the versatile and interesting new options VXA gives you.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Bitch
Rep:
Level 87
Bits'n'Pixels
Caved; after bein' telt to get it from enough people there's just no way to say no anymore D:!