RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Among the Sleep: Horror game from the point of a 2 year old.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Among The Sleep invites you into the mind and body of a two year old child. After being put to bed one evening, mysterious things start to happen.
Being played in first person, the game let its players immerse themselves in a child's limitless imagination. This is a perspective we all have a distant familiarity with, but few can clearly remember what it felt    like.
In the borderland between dream and reality, surreal creatures and diverse environments will present you with both physical and mental obstacles that challenge your creativity.
Among The Sleep is set for release on PC & MAC next year.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDQN_X5b-M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWDQN_X5b-M</a>

http://www.krillbite.com/ats/

This looks great, might be something to do a playthrough of after amnesia. Trailer for this gave me the spooks, watch it closely ;w;

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Interesting. Very interesting, this is something I'd like to examine first hand just because it's unique.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
It sounds cool, but in a first-person game, and even games in general, it doesn't matter how old they say the character is, because I'm the character. Therefore, it is still a horror game from the perspective of a 29 year old jaded gamer.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
It sounds cool, but in a first-person game, and even games in general, it doesn't matter how old they say the character is, because I'm the character. Therefore, it is still a horror game from the perspective of a 29 year old jaded gamer.

I think I can work with this.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
This looks pretty cool

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Sure, to an extent, but the way you move, your point of view, this is all of a two year old. If you had the proper environment to get immersed that would be enough I think, because even though you are a 29 year old, you are taking on the attributes, the weakness and the vulnerabilities of a two year old. I don't care if I know I'm 21, if I can't even reach the cookie jar and I have a freaky ass zombie coming after me, I'd piss my pants.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I'm still just a 29 year old who can't reach the cookie jar.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Sure, to an extent, but the way you move, your point of view, this is all of a two year old. If you had the proper environment to get immersed that would be enough I think, because even though you are a 29 year old, you are taking on the attributes, the weakness and the vulnerabilities of a two year old. I don't care if I know I'm 21, if I can't even reach the cookie jar and I have a freaky ass zombie coming after me, I'd piss my pants.
that's only if you're actually enable to immerse yourself

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I'm still just a 29 year old who can't reach the cookie jar.
if you're so jaded that you can't even become immersed in a game anymore maybe it's time to hang up the gaming hat.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
if you're so jaded that you can't even become immersed in a game anymore maybe it's time to hang up the gaming hat.

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I have to agree.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
GIAW 14: ParticipantParticipant - GIAW 11
Holy crap... Damn trailer already scared the shit out of me!!

Certainly going to play this with my boyfriend, otherwise I may not be able to sleep  :-[
Though, it does look like it has some really awesome graphics and sounds to go on, hope the gameplay is just as good  :lol:

As blonde as can be!!!
Doesn't mean I'm the dumb one...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 94
I can be immersed in a game just fine. I don't need gimmicks, or people telling me who I'm supposed to be. As not to appear too contrary, though, I will say that the game still looks like it could be fun.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:57:41 PM by Holkeye »

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
not all games are supposed to be press start insert self anyway, what's wrong with a game telling you the role you're going to play? unless you're saying you think it feels forced in this.

Rep:
Level 94
It does feel forced in this, but I don't want a big thing telling me who I am at the beginning of any game, really. Its ok to be someone different as long as it isn't the games driving conceit. When I read the description of a game, if it starts with "You play as a..." and that "a" is just a human, then what follows usually doesn't matter to me. Of course there are also two types of games, one being the immersion/storytelling type, which tries to put me in the action and relay some sort of storyline experience, and then there is the "chess piece" type game, where the characters and world are just abstractions of pieces on a game board. This would be like Binding of Isaac, for example, where it doesn't matter what the actual stuff in the game is, its just about a little thing who can fire in 4 directions, moving from room to room hitting other things and looking for upgrades.

This is a huge simplification, yeah, but its still there just below the surface. Anyway, like I said, the actual character in the game that I'm playing as doesn't make a big difference to me, because I'm still looking at the whole game through the lens of my personal experience. Its not even a conscious thing. It happens automatically, and for everyone, too. Not just me.

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
Anyway, like I said, the actual character in the game that I'm playing as doesn't make a big difference to me, because I'm still looking at the whole game through the lens of my personal experience. Its not even a conscious thing. It happens automatically, and for everyone, too. Not just me.
Strange, that doesn't happen for me and I'm a part of everyone...
Though, maybe it's because I read many book that I can place myself into a role or character to play a game?

Just stop speaking for everyone as not everyone thinks and acts the same as you. Some people might actually love playing games in which they have to play a character :lol:

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
poster above me doesn't experience personal experience

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
poster above me doesn't experience personal experience
Yeah I do, just depends on the game...
If it tells me "I invite you into the mind of a two year old" I'll imagine being that old! If it says "hey, you live in a post-apocalyptic world and you need to find whoever you need to find how you want to find them" (see fallout series) I'll be myself in the game and play it like I want...
Though, it's not about how you play it, it's about what you experience. And if I'm having fun pretending I'm 2 then others should not complain if I do. Nor should they say people can't pretend being someone else playing a game ;)

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 94
You still look at things through the filter of your own experience. It doesn't matter if you can pretend or not. It also doesn't matter if you believe it or not, because its true.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:29:44 PM by Holkeye »

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I have an idea.  Instead of continuing to argue about this, we agree to disagree even if either of you think the other is an idiot or not?  No since continuing and running the risk of ruining something for somebody.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Though, maybe it's because I read many book that I can place myself into a role or character to play a game?
Just to note: as a counterargument, this is pretty terrible because Holk is also a "part of everyone" as well so implying that you speak for everyone else and your experiences can be generalized is doing the same as Holk is, lol.

Rep:
Level 94
I don't think anyone is an idiot. Just lacking knowledge in one particular area. I lack all sorts of knowledge in certain subjects.

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
Just to note: as a counterargument, this is pretty terrible because Holk is also a "part of everyone" as well so implying that you speak for everyone else and your experiences can be generalized is doing the same as Holk is, lol.
I never tried to generalize anything, I'm just saying that not everyone is the same and that some people may experience and play differently from one another...

And @Lethrface: I don't think Holkeye or anyone else is an idiot. What I do think is that Holkeye made a good statement about sometimes games trying to force things, but I disagree with the thing he said about everybody looking at a game through a lens of personal experience, just because some people don't do that. Nothing more and nothing less is going on.

And @Holkeye: What I understand about "lens of personal experience" is probably something else than what you had in mind. What I think it means is that you always play your games being yourself and not someone else while I do play games being someone else rather than being myself. That is why I reacted. It's however very possible that you may have meant something else, but then please correct me by telling me what exactly you had in mind.
I'm from Belgium, my English may be spelling-wise correct and lacking the most obvious grammatical errors but it still isn't my native language. That being said, I'm very sorry if I misinterpreted what you said.

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

Rep:
Level 94
You're fine, its alright. What I meant was that everything a person does in their life is influenced by their past experiences, which includes playing games. You'll take something different from a game than I would, because you'll find different meanings in the subtleties, and relate differently to things. Same as we do to music, movies, and really everything that we do.

Rep:
Level 57
Miiiiaf =^+^=
You're fine, its alright. What I meant was that everything a person does in their life is influenced by their past experiences, which includes playing games. You'll take something different from a game than I would, because you'll find different meanings in the subtleties, and relate differently to things. Same as we do to music, movies, and really everything that we do.
That's true, take for instance your "lens of experience". What you had in mind is pretty much the exact opposite of what I thought you meant.

Though, now that you explained it and I know what you meant, I can say, what you said is true.

As blonde as can be!!!

Spoiler for supporting!:

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
The point of the two year old is to just set up the story, I am guessing.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
The point of the two year old is to just set up the story, I am guessing.

Oui. Its a representation of childhood fears and the helplessness of being that age. Makes it scarier knowing you are so small and helpless.

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
i don't really understand how it would make it scarier, unless you're easily frightened

>o>
Rep:
Level 88
me
The only way it would be scarier is because I imagine there are limitations with being a 2 year old. Probably not all the limitations of a 2 year old will be in the game, though. I doubt your character will be forced to run away scared every time you see a monster, for example.

What Gracie said isn't what I was trying to say, just to be clear.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I thought the video was kind of scary just thinking about a two year old being in that position. It might be some maternal instinct, but I don't want to see a toddler wandering around pyramid head.

Rep:
Level 94
This is just an assumption based on the video, so take it lightly. Looking at the way the player moves, I'm assuming that the 2 year old thing is a contrivance for the gameplay mechanics: A lot of hiding, being tiny, and something that I'm the most curious about, which is the crawling/walking thing. You can see parts where you're on all fours, and then get up on two legs for a bit, only to get back down on all fours again. This could go either way. If it is player controlled, then it could make for a little more varied gameplay. If, however, it is set up the way it seems, it could be really annoying. The way the video makes it look is that your natural state is crawling, but can briefly get up on your two legs to move a bit faster, and then after a set time passes, you fall back down to crawling. I don't know many two year olds that still crawl everywhere, so hopefully this isn't the way it will work. But if it is, it would be really annoying! Again, assumptions. Please don't take this as me writing the game off based on something that I inferred from a video clip.