RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A question about VXA saving... [Resolved, I think]

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Yet another scripting question, ugh. This time I only have a vague idea of where to start...

To begin with, I've noticed something very strange about the way that RPG Maker saves game files. It saves the player's map coordinates just fine, but NOT the coordinates or settings of any of the events around it. As an example of a harmless bug, let's say we have an event that is just turned invisible with the transparent command in the move route. Save the game, quit, restart, and suddenly the event is visible again due to the game rebuilding the map from scratch. This is annoying yet harmless, but there are much more serious situations. Say you're in an action game and have the start location of an enemy on a map. The enemy moves away from the starting location to try to touch you, you move TO the starting location or a square around it, then save, quit, restart. All of a sudden, the game has relocated that enemy to be back to the starting square again, meaning that you've potentially got the enemy and player trying to take up the same tile and probably triggering the event touch already (if not the second after you try to move away).

The long and short of it is that we need a more precise way of saving what's happening on the game map at the time of saving to avoid these simple types of bugs, probably saving move routes and map coordinates. Now obviously, the best place to start looking for a fix is in the data manager, adding something to the "def self.make_save_contents" section. What I'm at a loss for is WHAT to add, aside from everything.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 05:58:44 PM by Chris »

Sperm Donor Extraordinaire
Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
I think the best option is to figure out how RPG Maker determines event location and the current graphic in use and make sre it is accessible through the save and load functions and then have it save all of that data for that current map within the save file and then when you load it, make sure it essentially dynamically creates those events and ONLY those events on the map, deleting their starting event location to prevent duplicates if that is necessary.

Is that the kind of suggestions you were looking for?  The vague-ness kind of left me re-writing this at least 3 times lol
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I always love the things you pick up on, Zylos. I don't mind answering your questions at all, they're very interesting and I learn something myself looking for the answers.

They way I would do this is creating a new attribute in Game_Map, and call it something like event_details. What we could do is save the details of all events on the current map (i.e., coordinates, graphic, etc.) by aliasing the make_save_contents of DataManager. Then, upon loading, you would apply the details from the save to each event. This is not simple. It would take a bit of thinking to figure that bit out. It may also take a bit of time to apply, so lag would be an issue. I wish I could help more at the moment. Nice idea though.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Ugh, I'm a dumbass who didn't look closely at the coding. -.-;

So apparently it DOES already save what's going on to an extent, and will only reload the map if you've made changes on it since the save file you're using. IE, if the current version ID doesn't equal the version ID of the save file, it'll refresh the map. As this will only ever happen in playtesting rather than the actual game being released, it won't ever be a real problem for people playing.

Thanks for your chipping in, you two. <3

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
Ugh, I'm a dumbass who didn't look closely at the coding. -.-;

So apparently it DOES already save what's going on to an extent, and will only reload the map if you've made changes on it since the save file you're using. IE, if the current version ID doesn't equal the version ID of the save file, it'll refresh the map. As this will only ever happen in playtesting rather than the actual game being released, it won't ever be a real problem for people playing.

Thanks for your chipping in, you two. <3

You know, I saw that last night but I didn't really pick up on it while looking at the datamanager stuff and the save window script.  I just assumed it was going to be something for something else like the modification of that specific event, which I assumed it would just be a safeguard to make sure that event loaded properly with it's new settings lol

Nice find.
I am out of fucks to give.  In fact, I think you owe ME some fucks.  I have insufficient fucks in the fucking account.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
It still remains a tiny problem in the testing process though D:

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
It still remains a tiny problem in the testing process though D:

I think (im not positive) that if you just replace

Code: [Select]
def self.reload_map_if_updated
    if $game_system.version_id != $data_system.version_id
      $game_map.setup($game_map.map_id)
      $game_player.center($game_player.x, $game_player.y)
      $game_player.make_encounter_count
    end
  end

with

Code: [Select]
def self.reload_map_if_updated
    return
  end

that will fix that...maybe.  I'm not willing to try it XD

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
No, that would ignore any changes made between the saving of the game and the loading of the game. I think that minor problem is worth the game working properly.

Rep:
Level 77
Bronze - GIAW 9
this actually has me extremely curious now >.<

now i'm looking further up and thinking about what would happen if you did update the map then load the rest of the data AFTER the update or if it would even be worth messing with it...of course I'm also half asleep and my mind is easily wandering off on other things so I should probably get sleep and avoid messing with the datamanager...