RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Lighting effects or scripts

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
Watching You
i am looking for a good lighting effect/script.

is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Rep:
Level 58
Attraction of goodwill
This should point you in the right direction.
Sometimes I wonder if I need psychiatric help :'(

Watching You
thanks but i am google-ing it and youtubeing it so thanks for the sarcasm, but i thought this website was to help point people to a script.

I found this
http://www.hbgames.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21314

but i am not sure how to implement it.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Best Newbie2012 Most Unsung MemberFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
What maker are you using first of all?
(XP, VX, Ace)
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Watching You
Oh sorry I am using Xp

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
Oh sorry I am using Xp
Why don't you try searching for Ccoa's Weather Script?
It's in both XP and VX.
なんでやねん

Watching You
weather script?
i need something for street lighting,fire etc

Rep:
Level 63
オ・マイ・ゴッド ・㉨・
weather script?
i need something for street lighting,fire etc
Oops, Sorry. Misread it  :o
Anyways.. Try Fantastica's Light Script.
http://rpgcrisis.net/archive/index.php?/tutorials/article/72-near-fantasticas-light-effects/
なんでやねん

Watching You
that is not bad, but i dont want to seem ungrateful but is there another script or method of making a lighting effect that looks more like a real light.
something like this but with a bigger effect area?

http://media.photobucket.com/image/rpg%20maker%20xp%20candle%20effect/BabyPinkFireFly/brighterlights.png

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
This can actually be done rather simply without a script. I'm sure there are tutorials for it somewhere around in the tutorials board.

The effect can be done with custom fogs and picture effects. For simpler lights or shadows that follow around you, you can do this very easily with a simple gradient picture. Just find or make a glowing gradient ball like this, and use the show picture command in a parallel process event for where you want the light to be. Or, if you want it so that the light follows you around, you can set up a parallel process  common event to check the player's location via two variables (check the control variables command, look at player's screen x/y) and move the picture to those coordinates.

For more detailed shading, pretty much what you do is you take a screenshot of the entire map that you want to play with, and copy that over to your favorite image editing program (anything that uses multiple layers, like GIMP or Photoshop). Create a transparent layer over top of it, and use the gradient tool to make the effects you want in specific locations. Rays that come from windows, glows from some flares on the ground, the light of a lamp on a desk, use your imagination. When you've got all the effects that you want, you then simply remove the first layer (the screenshot layer) so that the image is transparent, and you save it to your game's fog folder. After that, all you have to do is put the fog onto the map you want, and you've got instant shading effects.

If you'll pardon me using examples from my own game here:

Spoiler for Picture Only:

This is an example of the picture effect from the first paragraph. It's an inverse gradient, where the rest of the picture is black EXCEPT for the transparent gradient effect on the player. This picture will follow the player wherever he goes thanks to a common event that is always checking the player's X,Y coordinates.

Spoiler for Custom Fog:

Maybe not the best of examples, but you see those glows around the flares? That's from a custom fog map inserted above the whole map. The best part is that you can mess with the zoom of the fog to give them a bit of a flicker effect. It's not easy to make sometimes, but it can be worth it for the end effect.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:35:51 PM by Zylos »

Watching You
zylos! did you get me message? good to hear from you again  :zwink: