RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Things that make you :mad:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP :mad:
:tinysmile:

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
Jeans don't look good when I'm playing the bagpipes :mad:
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Anime avatars :mad:

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Anime avatars that aren't fucking Death Note :mad:
Also jean haters :mad:
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Hipsters trying to be hipster :mad:
Sony :mad:
Extreme weaboos :mad:
Dr Dre Beats  :mad: :mad: :mad:
Compile Heart  :mad:
My accent  :mad:
JRPGs of the last decade  :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
People who leave a spoon or butterknife in the peanut butter/mayo/nutella or whatever  :mad:

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
oh my god YES! :rgirlfuu:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
My oldest daughter does it all the time AND IT MAKES ME :bigmad:

I <3 Green Day
Rep:
Level 58
"I'm the finger fucker" -Tre Cool
2013 Best Newbie2012 Best Writer2012 Most Missed Member
When all the stuff falls out of tacos :mad:
When my Ipod runs out just before I leave the house  :mad:
Not being able to drive  :mad: :mad:
Hearing my parents complain about kids these days  :mad:
Being treating like I'm still a child at the age of 20  :mad:
Writer's block!  :mad:
People that refuse to see that the world does not in fact revolve around them  :mad:
Wanting to say something so badly but everyone ignores you!!!!  :mad:
It's a good year when you win an award and give a name to a beer. But you have to make up a sex position to complete it. That would be the Bullwinkle.
     -Tre Cool

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Best Counsel2012 Kindest Memberluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Kids these days  ::)
Spoiler for:
:P

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Kids these days  ::)
Spoiler for:
;)

Rep:
Level 57
Noun. The act of illuminating.
Contestant - GIAW 9
The genuinely most provoking thing that I ever encounter is people arguing for some ideology and as the debate plays out, it becomes more and more obvious how the motivation behind their debating is to protect his/her own view, not to find the truth. Whenever a Christian who originally argued through evidence and logic, changes his/her argumentation to revolve around how religion is good for society (which is completely irrelevant) after facing enough opposition, then this has happened.

The conclusions are suddenly: "I have wasted my time discussing.", "No matter what I say they will not change their mind." and "I can not tell this to the person's face, well I could but it would be of no use."

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Atheists are worse, in my opinion.

Rep:
Level 57
Contestant - GIAW 9
Atheists are worse, in my opinion.

That is probably true. I haven't had the pleasure of arguing with one however, for obvious reasons.

You are probably right though, but it mainly comes down to the person and not the ideology. My example was just that, an example and my post was about that stubborn attitude in general. :)

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
  • Atheists who are all uppity about it. :mad:
  • Christians who are all uppity about it. :mad:
  • Tibetan Monks who are all uppity about it. :mad:

Arrogance knows no specific belief.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 57
Contestant - GIAW 9
  • Atheists who are all uppity about it. :mad:
  • Christians who are all uppity about it. :mad:
  • Tibetan Monks who are all uppity about it. :mad:

Arrogance knows no specific belief.

It's not the arrogance, but the lies and cheats. To pretend to have a debate, but actually waste the other's time as one has no intentions of finding a new point of view, that is my opinion.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Entering a debate does not necessarily mean one is open to the other point of view. In fact most arguments are in defense of a person's own beliefs. There would be no debates if people were so easily susceptible to change.

Also the whole trademark thing you've got going on along with your general vernacular makes you come off as a gigantic douche.

Rep:
Level 57
Contestant - GIAW 9
Entering a debate does not necessarily mean one is open to the other point of view. In fact most arguments are in defense of a person's own beliefs. There would be no debates if people were so easily susceptible to change.

Also the whole trademark thing you've got going on along with your general vernacular makes you come off as a gigantic douche.

Sorry bro, I catch your drift about the trademarks.

About your statement though: One should always be open to the other point of view, as not being so implies that one thinks of oneself as omniscient in some sense. Either that or one is simply trying to get through something for some kind of benefit, which I wouldn't really call a debate in the first place. I said nothing about being easily susceptible to change, I said being able to change at all, and yes I think people need to be able to change. Otherwise we get nowhere

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I am skeptical that you could legitimately determine whether someone has an open mind based on the result of a debate. If at the end of the debate your opponent has not changed his or her mind or has moved on to some other topic, the most you could conclude is that your arguments have failed to persuade him or her and/or that he or she got tired of the debate; you could not logically conclude that no arguments could ever persuade him or her.1

More importantly, I don't think it's illegitimate to enter a debate with the purpose of convincing another person of the correctness of your position even if you can imagine no way of conceding to his or hers. As an example, I believe that sexually abusing a child is morally reprehensible and I do not believe that anything could convince me otherwise. If some woman were arguing the opposite, I believe that I would have a moral obligation to enter a debate with her and try to convince her that she is wrong. If she were to present an argument that is facially compelling and to which I have no immediate answer, I would not concede to her conclusion that sexually abusing a child is OK; I would simply assume that with a little more thought I could come up with a counter-argument. I do not think that debating is limited to those who are uncertain of their position; on the contrary, I believe that some2 of the most edifying debates to watch are between two people who are both utterly convinced of their own position and completely familiar with all of the arguments for and against it.

Further, I do not necessarily see the objective of a debate as to persuade the other party to your point of view. A debate could, for instance, benefit an audience. Even without an audience, however, I would consider a debate to be with merit if you are presented with arguments against your perspective that you did not consider. Those arguments need not alter your end-position, but if it helps you understand your position in a different way, re-evaluate a weak inference, or reach your conclusion through a different chain of logic, then it has added nuance and strength to your opinion. That is true even if your opponent is completely implacable, and in my opinion, that result alone marks a successful debate.

Also, you think you are omniscent if you think you know everything; you do not think of yourself as omniscent in any but a misleading sense simply because you believe that you know something.

1 Unless, of course, you are of the opinion that your arguments are so convincing that no person with an open mind could ever reject them, in which case I would question whether you had an open mind.
2 Evidently, not all. See, for example, the debate between Irockman1 and NAMKCOR on water tiles in the GIAW thread. On the other hand, it is at least slightly amusing that their contrariness is mirrored by the spelling of their usernames.

To not stray too far from the topic:

Emotionally charged debates about water tiles  :mad:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 12:13:23 AM by modern algebra »

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
That is so well said Modern, I wish I had said it myself.  I concur.

little sleep and too much time with doctors :mad:

Rep:
Level 57
Contestant - GIAW 9
I am skeptical that you could legitimately determine whether someone has an open mind based on the result of a debate. If at the end of the debate your opponent has not changed his or her mind or has moved on to some other topic, the most you could conclude is that your arguments have failed to persuade him or her and/or that he or she got tired of the debate; you could not logically conclude that no arguments could ever persuade him or her.1

More importantly, I don't think it's illegitimate to enter a debate with the purpose of convincing another person of the correctness of your position even if you can imagine no way of conceding to his or hers. As an example, I believe that sexually abusing a child is morally reprehensible and I do not believe that anything could convince me otherwise. If some woman were arguing the opposite, I believe that I would have a moral obligation to enter a debate with her and try to convince her that she is wrong. If she were to present an argument that is facially compelling and to which I have no immediate answer, I would not concede to her conclusion that sexually abusing a child is OK; I would simply assume that with a little more thought I could come up with a counter-argument. I do not think that debating is limited to those who are uncertain of their position; on the contrary, I believe that some2 of the most edifying debates to watch are between two people who are both utterly convinced of their own position and completely familiar with all of the arguments for and against it.

Further, I do not necessarily see the objective of a debate as to persuade the other party to your point of view. A debate could, for instance, benefit an audience. Even without an audience, however, I would consider a debate to be with merit if you are presented with arguments against your perspective that you did not consider. Those arguments need not alter your end-position, but if it helps you understand your position in a different way, re-evaluate a weak inference, or reach your conclusion through a different chain of logic, then it has added nuance and strength to your opinion. That is true even if your opponent is completely implacable, and in my opinion, that result alone marks a successful debate.

Also, you think you are omniscent if you think you know everything; you do not think of yourself as omniscent in any but a misleading sense simply because you believe that you know something.

1 Unless, of course, you are of the opinion that your arguments are so convincing that no person with an open mind could ever reject them, in which case I would question whether you had an open mind.
2 Evidently, not all. See, for example, the debate between Irockman1 and NAMKCOR on water tiles in the GIAW thread. On the other hand, it is at least slightly amusing that their contrariness is mirrored by the spelling of their usernames.

I agree with most of what you said, and for misusing the word omniscient I apologize.

I did not mean to imply that anyone who will not change their minds after a debate are doing this. I was merely talking about those occasions when this actually becomes evident like you said.

I should have been more precise, but yeah. And using Christianity in my post was just an example drawn from recent experience. My post was not about any ideology in particular.

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
For a moment there I thought this was ED
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
:mad: People who are abusive to their partners.
:mad: When I can't find a hairband
:mad: When places sell Pepsi instead of Coke.
:mad: People who can't cook that think they can cook better than me.
:mad: When I realise this is all I can think of.

I guess I'm pretty chilled.

Rep:
Level 57
Contestant - GIAW 9

I agree with most of what you said, and for misusing the word omniscient I apologize.

I did not mean to imply that anyone who will not change their minds after a debate are doing this. I was merely talking about those occasions when this actually becomes evident like you said.

I should have been more precise, but yeah. And using Christianity in my post was just an example drawn from recent experience. My post was not about any ideology in particular.

Oh, and sorry for keeping this off-topic stuff on, but I realized to demonstrate what I was talking about, I could now instead of saying that you were right and redefine my allegation, I could have said "but when they don't change their mind the discussion has to go on and we waste more time." Thus changing my argumentation completely while ignoring the fact that you just logically proved me wrong and I am now discussing something else.