RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Utilizing the Class tab for different effects? [2k3]

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
So recently, after reading a tutorial on how to do a Mystic Knight ala FFV style, I starting thinking if it'd be possible to do something akin to statuses and/or elemental weakness (i.e. a character has a status Oil which makes you weak to Fire, or i.e. the character equips a Flame Shield that increases resistance to Fire, but decreases resistance to Ice). I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to make the Class fit in with this? I'm aware that I'd have to copy/paste each different class multiple, multiple times to make sure that there's one for each instance (which could end up as a lot. My game uses roughly 20 attributes right now and 50 conditions, though not all would be used obviously). Would it be possible to set it so that if a character were under say, Oil status or say, equipped with the Flame Shield, that a Common Event could be ran to change that character's Class into an exact duplicate of their normal, but with different elemental/status resistances? Or would this be too much work to do?

Likewise, I'm assuming that this would be a good way to utilize making party members that can't be controlled playable later without having duplicate character slots and other things, right?

And to top this off, would this force players to restart a current file that does not have changes done in the Class tab

Just trying to brainstorm some ideas with this and whether or not it'd be worth the effort @_@

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
I'm not sure if I under stand you 100% but after a quick skim id like to make it known that you'd have a huge amount of classes, something to the 20th power methinks, if i interpreted it right >.<

EDIT, does 2k3 have the ability to inflict status that make a character stronger or weaker to an element? because you could have some sort of event update whenever the player equips something new to reapply a hidden status(with your equipments elemental bonuses), the bonuses might be cumulative with other status effects as well, so you could have some status magnified by others.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:57:07 PM by IAMFORTE »

Rep:
Level 85
As far as I know, there is no way to do it outside of equipping equipment/using abilities to do so. I wanted to do that originally with the Oil status (taken from FFT, makes target weak to Fire regardless of they absorb Fire naturally or not), but it wasn't possible because of no way to reduce/increases elemental resistance with status (and looking at it recently, the only real way I see of this being done with this is through the method I'm thinking of). So unless the Class tab can be used for this purpose, there isn't many other ways to do it.

20th power? Nah, it'd only be for specific things I think (granted, when one has about 50 characters it might take a while...luckily half of the cast's equipment is locked anyways for me so that's half the work...). Then again, might be a bit confusing considering if I make various pieces of equipment interact with one another...like a Flame Shield (absorb Fire, weak to Ice) and a Ice Armor (absorb Ice, weak to Fire). I don't think I need to worry too much about statuses with this method at least...

Hopefully that clears it up some for you? ^^;;

EDIT - To simplify this:

1) Hero A has normal resistance to all elements. Hero A equips Ice Shield, giving him absorption to Ice and weakness to Fire. Since you cannot really go from 100% to -100% unless you set the element to that from one letter to another (which isn't a good idea), and since you cannot set elemental weaknesses anywhere else, perhaps the Class tab can be used here. So Class #1 would be the exact same stats as without the class, except with Ice absorption and Fire weakness.

2) Hero A also equips a Water Ring, which increases Water resistance by one level. Easy to do in accessories, so no changes needed here.

3) Hero A instead decides to equip an Aqua Ring to absorb Water. Hero A would then change class to something that absorbs Water and Ice, while being weak to Fire.

4) Hero A unequips all but Aqua Ring. Change class to match the Water absorption.

5) Hero A unequips everything and has nothing to change elements. Remove class to None.

Basically, that's what I'm seeing this being able to be used for. Can even extend to statuses that make a character weak to elements and such. This of course is based on the character having no elemental affinities (which may or may not be the case depending on the game. Considering my game has everyone with an element sans a couple characters, this is not the case here). Hopefully that cuts it down more ^^;
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:41:14 PM by Xenomic »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Why do you need classes to do that though?  Can't you just add weaknesses onto the accessories as well?  Am I missing something?

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 85
You cannot. You can only add resistances on equipment, not weaknesses, which I find very annoying.