RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Importing NES chipsets help

Rep: +0/-0Level 61
RMRK Junior
Hey guys, I realize this sort of question can be a groan to deal with but I would appreciate any help or tutorials you could share.

I'm using RPG Maker 2003 to to make a small NES style game to learn the engine and for fun, I realize Gamemaker is probably better but I would be limited to the free version and I don't know how restrictive that is, RM2K3 seems fine though.

I want to use The Legend of Zelda as a base then go from there, but I am stuck already at importing chipsets, now I got a GBA chipset to work fine but the NES one does not display correctly within RM2K3 when I paint it.

This is what it should look like.

It looks fine within RM2k3 Toolbar\Database, but as soon as I paint the tiles the colours are all wrong, the brown\white sand for eg. is dark pink and the water turns purple.

I'm guessing there is something wrong with the colour palette? I have Paint NET and I'll play around with it but maybe you guys know exactly what is wrong.

I am also looking for any decent tutorials on how to rip art from NES games into RM2K3, I found two very different methods so far.

http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2227

http://randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/ai/spriterip/

Maybe you guys know a more common or accepted method so I thought it worth asking, thanks for any help.

RMRK Junior
Oh sorry, I tried posting this in a different forum section but posted in here again.

RMRK Junior
Well I found I can cut out pieces from the Zelda chipset and paste them over a standard chipset and it seems to work, just gotta fill it up.