RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RmVX - Teleport System Eventing

Rep: +0/-0Level 64
RMRK Junior
Hey everyone. I'm putting together a game and I'm trying to figure out a simple way to handle this eventing process.

I have a location. Let's call it Point A.

Players can teleport from any teleport points in the game to Point A, once the player has initially stepped on them and activates them. That's simple to manage.

The trouble is that I want players to be able to teleport from Point A to any teleport point in the game once those points are activated. But figuring out the conditional variables is so complex that it makes my head spin. The only thing I can think of is making a menu with four branching solutions (ABC, more) and conditional variables that show the location if the player has activated a specific event related to stepping on a teleport point. Because there's going to be so many teleport points, that's just too complex. WAY too complex.

I tried searching, but I wasn't able to find an example of this here before, or a script that could do roughly the same thing. Is there a simpler way to handle it, or an alternate system that might be able to do much the same thing?

Rep: +0/-0Level 64
RMRK Junior
Ah. I figured out a solution. It's inelegant, but it'll do the trick, I think.

I'm setting up a room. Players teleport to point A.

Point A has multiple teleport points in it.

The player steps on one of the teleport points on the world map. This activates an event for that specific teleport point.

There is a matching teleport point at the tower. Stepping on this brings up a single yes/no choice asking if they wish to teleport to the teleport point in the field. It isn't active until they step on the event and activate a switch.

So the event looks like this:

Page 1:
Show Text: This needs to be activated.
Show Graphic: Inactive Magic Circle.

Page 2:
Condition: Switch "Teleport Points Can Be Activated" is on.
Show Graphic: Active Magic Circle
Show Text: This spot is now activated!
Show Choice: Would you like to teleport to Point A? Y/N?
If yes, teleport to point A.
Control Switch: Teleport Point One is activated.

Page 3:
Condition: Teleport Point One is activated.
Show Choice: Would you like to teleport to Point A? Y/N?
If yes, teleport to point A.
Control Switch: Teleport Point One is activated.

The sympathetic event at Point A's room is almost the same, but asks if you want to teleport to the teleport point in the field. It's active when the "Teleport Point One" event is activated.

This solution is still complex and a bit ungainly, but I suppose it works. If anyone can think of a better way to do it, please let me know.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 09:04:23 PM by Cypress_z »