RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Programming a Couple (Player and NPC) Dancing on Dancefloor

Rep:
Level 67
TheNeonHeart.com
I have a scene in a bar where the player goes up to a npc who is alone on a dancefloor... and presumably she is dancing there by herself, and they talk and then dance.

There are things I don't know how to do to achieve this, including
1) assigning 'variables'? to the dancefloor area
2) the specific moves for each character so they don't collide, etc
3) the proper way to program it so it flows smoothly

also, I will need a tuxedo and tickets to the prom
j/k

any help will be appreciated
And if you stare for long enough into the abyss... you just might stare it down.

My Games: ExXception Draft
My Awesome Homepage The Neon Heart.com Host to My Writing / Music / Reviews / and More

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
1. I'm confused on what you're asking here.

2.You can set the move routes for events with the "Set move route" command.

3. I don't think there's really a "proper" way to event something. There are ways that are more efficient than others, but if you get it to do what you want it to, I don't see a problem.

Rep:
Level 67
TheNeonHeart.com
Aren't there something like 'variables' for defining an area in which a character can move, and outside of which the character will not go?

And I guess that will help with the second thing I asked,   ... I have them spinning around a lot, doing full turns left and right... and then doing a few steps in each direction... they were running into each other and it wasn't quite working... just wondering if anyone had programmed dancing before and how it turned out for them

as for the 3rd part, I am still confused on when to use autorun and when to use parallel processing?  If I want the girl to move around dancing by herself automatically when you enter the level, is that autorun or parallel processing? And once you do the event where the player dances with her, would I make a new event page of that same movement as autorun or parallel processing?
And if you stare for long enough into the abyss... you just might stare it down.

My Games: ExXception Draft
My Awesome Homepage The Neon Heart.com Host to My Writing / Music / Reviews / and More

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
You mean defining where an NPC can move, or the player?
If you mean NPC, you can set their move route so they won't go outside of the area.

Variables are a little like switches, but instead of turning them on and off, you can set them to a number. If you wanted to define an area where a character couldn't walk using variables, you would need two variables: one for the player's X coordinate, and one for the player's Y coordinate. You would then create an event with a conditional branch that checks if the player's X and Y coordinates are within the range you want them to stay in. If they aren't, set a player move route to move back a step. (Sorry if this is confusing. I'm not the best at explaining things. I could make a sample event and take a screenshot or something, if that would help.)

Autorun will stop everything else until the event is done running. Parallel process will run parallel to everything else and doesn't stop anything. You would have to make the girl a parallel process in order to keep controlling the player character.

For the second page, it would still be a parallel process.