RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
GTA V

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkkoHAzjnUs</a>

I peed.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I pad.

Sent from my iPeed

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Looks like more of the same...

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Same as HWAT

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
i didn't pee cos there was nothing worth looking at!!!!!!!!!!!!
:taco: :taco: :taco:

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 102
Did none of you play GTA IV or something? Unseen in the last game but seen in the trailer; flyable airplanes, fun vehicles like fucking golf carts, possibly bicycles and natural areas like mountains and forests. Additionally, it introduces for the first time, jetskis, controllable convertible roofs, a blimp, improved AI, more polished graphics, a new city and a new storyline. And this is only from a minute and a half long trailer. What did you want them to do? Take the series into outer space and make the game not about vehicles, cities and people?

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Dude why you gotta stick in up yo butt. From this teaser "more of the same" is a perfectly apt response. Controllable convertible roofs and blimps add negligible amounts of new gameplay to the series. Weren't jetskis (did you happen to catch the name of this one: Speedophile lol) in previous games though? It's also San Andreas (or a lot of it is).

But it's the first teaser of a game that's probably not going to be out for at least another year; I wasn't expecting them to blow their load with it...I am actually pretty excited for this; I'm really hoping this will be more like the GTA III games though. Those were rock-solid fun.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
Did none of you play GTA IV or something? Unseen in the last game but seen in the trailer; flyable airplanes, fun vehicles like fucking golf carts, possibly bicycles and natural areas like mountains and forests. Additionally, it introduces for the first time, jetskis, controllable convertible roofs, a blimp, improved AI, more polished graphics, a new city and a new storyline. And this is only from a minute and a half long trailer. What did you want them to do? Take the series into outer space and make the game not about vehicles, cities and people?

Wow, more vehicles in a game where you drive vehicles! That's a completely different game than the previous ones! It's like if there was another Super Mario Bros. game and they introduced a new mushroom type! It's a totally different game and not at all just a rehash of what they've already done over and over again like Halo and The Legend of Zelda!

But I actually don't care if you like the game, even if it's just more of the same. I'm not a fan of GTA, but if it's a genuinely fun game it doesn't really matter if there's not that much innovation over its predecessors. Just like Zelda: after Ocarina of Time, every Zelda game was pretty much just a copy/paste of Ocarina of Time. They're all just repeats, uncreative, and stale. But that doesn't mean they're not fun.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 102
You're both missing my point. The gameplay is already established. It's a game where you drive vehicles and shoot people in a realistic world. What more can they do other than add new vehicles and improve on what they have? My point is, "looks like more of the same" is a stupid thing to say, because it's not like they can dramatically change the gameplay.

Also, I just looked up jetski on the GTA wiki and it's appeared in GTA: Vice City stories on the PSP. I don't think a lot of people have really played that though.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Saints row will be better. GTA should just give up, but there is too much black and white trash that will buy the same bullshit game over and over. GTA 3 was cool because it had an open world, but now everything has an open world.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:05:28 PM by Holk »

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
You know, if you don't like something, you don't have to post. Nobody gives a shit if you think Saints Row will be better. Personally I enjoy both series and I'm looking forward to both SR3 and GTAV.

Anyways GTA V looks like it isn't going to make the same mistakes IV and it has motherfucking dogs. Everyone loves dogs.

Rep:
Level 94
Are you seriously saying that only people that agree with you should post in threads? And are you also saying that nobody gives a shit about my opinion, but then immediately aftrrward assuming that people must care about yours, and telling us what it is? That's cool, I guess.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
No, you can post whatever you want. But we all got the point after your first post. Also it'd be a different story if you brought more to the table than "It looks like more of the same" and "Saints row is going to be better."

Rep:
Level 94
Ok, I will. I don't like games that have one good idea, and then repeatedly cash in on that idea for iteration after iteration. Call of Duty does it, GTA does it, and assassins creed is doing it too. I love assassins creed as a game, but we've been sold the same game over and over again for three years now. I love video games, and I like to see the advancement of the medium, not just through something as simple as graphics, but through gameplay innovations. These companies are completely justified, though, when the masses give them millions of dollars to just maintain the status quo.

I should express that this is all based off of 2 minutes of video and impressions on currently released GTA games. Ill reserve my final judgement until the game comes out, though, of course.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 09:47:06 PM by Holk »

Rep:
Level 102
I don't know what kind of "gameplay innovations" you want out these games that are based in the realm of reality. This isn't Mario where they can just decide that they want the next game to have you jumping from tiny planet to tiny planet in space. The only things Rockstar can do from iteration to iteration is make a new world, make a new storyline, make new missions, add new things like vehicles and make improvements to gameplay to make it more realistic or add more features like climbing over fences (San Andreas) and taking cover (GTA IV).

Rep:
Level 94
Which is exactly my point, and why I don't feel any need to play them anymore. I've already done this stuff. Aside from making more money, there's no need for another GTA.

Rep:
Level 102
There's no need for another GTA in your eyes, but in the eyes of most normal people, there is. It's a new game in a new world that has new vehicles with a new storyline that involves new character that send you on new missions that involve doing new things in new ways.

Play GTA III and then play GTA IV. The differences are night and day because of all the improvements and new shit.

Rep:
Level 94
I disagree. Those things are just veneer changes, and don't really have any bearing.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I disagree. Those things are just veneer changes, and don't really have any bearing.

That's all I can really think either.  A new setting and character don't mean jack, and a few new vehicles are hardly massive improvements to a game.

It's still going to be the same story, the same missions, and the same character archetypes.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
You're both missing my point. The gameplay is already established. It's a game where you drive vehicles and shoot people in a realistic world. What more can they do other than add new vehicles and improve on what they have? My point is, "looks like more of the same" is a stupid thing to say, because it's not like they can dramatically change the gameplay.
And this is the kind of thinking that allows the game making companies to get away with selling us the same thing over and over. :| There's definitely something you could do to drastically change the gameplay while still keeping a semblance of what the GTA series are about. You could add something innovative. I don't know. I'm not a game designer, and it's not my job to think of ideas that they could use, but there's definitely something out there. The probability of there being something out there is greater than your supposed impossibility of that thing.

Second, selling the same game over and over is fine, but GTA lacks any real, substantial plot to compensate for that so... yeah.

I mean, like others have said, power to you if you like it. It's your choice, but YOU CAN'T DENY THE TRUTH :mad:

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
There's no need for another GTA in your eyes, but in the eyes of most normal people, there is. It's a new game in a new world that has new vehicles with a new storyline that involves new character that send you on new missions that involve doing new things in new ways.

Play GTA III and then play GTA IV. The differences are night and day because of all the improvements and new shit.

By your logic, every Call of Duty game is each unique from one another, and not just a carbon copy of the one that was released the year before it. But we all know that isn't true, and CoD is the prime example of a generic FPS.

At the same time, I don't think you're an idiot or anything like that for liking your game. I hope it lives up to your expectations and that you enjoy it. But don't try to pass the series off as anything more than the same old game repackaged with minor additional features all for the sake of making a quick profit.

And this is the kind of thinking that allows the game making companies to get away with selling us the same thing over and over. :| There's definitely something you could do to drastically change the gameplay while still keeping a semblance of what the GTA series are about. You could add something innovative. I don't know. I'm not a game designer, and it's not my job to think of ideas that they could use, but there's definitely something out there. The probability of there being something out there is greater than your supposed impossibility of that thing.

Second, selling the same game over and over is fine, but GTA lacks any real, substantial plot to compensate for that so... yeah.

I mean, like others have said, power to you if you like it. It's your choice, but YOU CAN'T DENY THE TRUTH :mad:

I didn't see your post when I posted, but I agree 100%. I think Resident Evil is a good example of what you're talking about. 1-3 were all basically the same game released 3 times. But there was an overarching plot (albeit a horrible one) that at least gave a small amount of credibility for releasing those games with only few changes to the gameplay. When Resident Evil 4 came about, it was drastically different from the previous entries, but it was still ultimately a RE game. Although they arguably strayed too far survival horror, they still took a chance and it's often cited as one of the best games of all time.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:08:41 PM by HaloOfTheSun »
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Halo is a very smart man and his words are incredibly wise.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 102
Major gameplay innovations in games like this that are based on reality are next to impossible. You can't think of anything because there isn't anything. GTA is supposed to imitate reality, but allow you to do things you can't do in real life because, well, you'd die or go to jail.

GTA does have a "real" "substantial" plot. I become very vested in the storyline of GTA games, especially in GTA IV, which I think took it to another level.

By your logic, every Call of Duty game is each unique from one another, and not just a carbon copy of the one that was released the year before it. But we all know that isn't true, and CoD is the prime example of a generic FPS.
I've never owned a Call of Duty game in my life, so I don't know if it is a carbon copy of the last game.

At the same time, I don't think you're an idiot or anything like that for liking your game. I hope it lives up to your expectations and that you enjoy it. But don't try to pass the series off as anything more than the same old game repackaged with minor additional features all for the sake of making a quick profit.
Quick profit? It took them 4 years to develop GTA IV and they spent $100,000,000 on it, making it the largest video game budget in history. They aren't repackaging the game every year for an easy buck, they're spending years and assloads of money developing new ones. GTA IV came out in 2008 and GTA V will probably come out in 2012. This isn't Madden. There are real, substantial changes and an assload of new content.

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Changing Gamplay semantics is not always the best option.
Like the saying goes, don't fix what ain't broke.

For example I am a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series.
1 through 9 were exceptional but as you say, they were a re-hash of the same system
with minor modifications, albeit moving to 3d models for 7 was a huge change which is why it is a stand out representation of the franchise, but still the same gameplay system.

From 10 onwards where the games battle systems and gameplay were modified things
just didnt hit it off like they used to.
Not saying that the games are bad, I still enjoy them, but it just doesn't have the same alluring factor any more.

In saying that, even if this game is the exact same as GTAIV but in a different scenario, Im still going to get it and enjoy is, as I couldnt get enough of GTAIV and was saddend when it was over.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
I agree with the fact that GTA hasn't done much to advance the series, but I disagree with the notion that they're recycling tired gameplay because they know people will buy it anyway. I just think they've found a winning formula and don't want to tarnish it by trying to modify it. I think it'd be cool for Rockstar to explore other avenues with the series, but I think that would be best left for spinoffs and side-games.

That being said, I would never pay 60 dollars for GTA V. And in that sense, I do agree with the dissenters, because I already know what to expect from the game before it's even released. But I don't think that's a bad thing, for the people that are loyal fans of the series. And really, the same could be said of any major series. For instance, I'm gladly going to drop 60 on Skyrim in a week's time. But there aren't many people I know that are going to do the same, because they already have preconceived notions about the Elder Scrolls series and its style of gameplay, and if they only moderately enjoyed Oblivion, the cost won't be worth it to them.

For established genres like this, it mostly boils down to fan service. People who dislike GTA may not enjoy the static game mechanics, but that doesn't mean it's not the best course of action for the series. Rockstar would likely rather appeal to the handful of people who WILL spend top dollar on the title, than risk trying to pull in a new demographic who might do the same.

I didn't mean for this post to be this long but I suppose it happened anyway. Regardless, the game looks pretty cool.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
>implying the controls and gameplay weren't significantly different in the move from San Andreas to 4

Rep:
Level 94
There's no implication about it, that's pretty much exactly.what I'm saying.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
holk, you've obviously never fucking played 4 then because the game plays nothing like the others because of the physics engine. if you want to knock something knock the boring repetitive uncreative missions.

Rep:
Level 94
The physics engine doesn't even add anything substantial, though. The only things I noticed about it were that people stick to your car when you hit them, and you bump into them when you run through a crowd. I guess that's different, but its not really that significant. A physics engine doesn't automatically.make a game "different". Im not saying that if you like GTA you're dumb or anything though. I'm just saying that as someone who has played all of them since the very first, there hasn't been a major change since 3. Generalizing, its just random year, random race, and prettier graphics.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
I want to play GTA V. .-.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Saints Row 3 will be better LOAL

Rep:
Level 91
Personal Text
Personally, I would love to see Rockstar use the phsyics engine in a Medieval era game.
I feel I would love to see somebody knocked off their horse from the impact of my lance.

I realise the elder scrolls series could be classed as a fanasty GTA, but I feel there needs to be a game with the simplicity of GTA, Stats and things become too much of a factor and turn me away from some games, But also in saying that Im deffo going to fork out $120 for Skyrim and GTA V alike, yes $120, cause thats how much its going for in NZ, which is bull shit and not part of the topic.

I like the fact that rockstar went back a few eras with Red Dead, I would like to see them do it again but further back aswell.

Rep:
Level 102

Rep:
Level 102
So the 2nd trailer came out yesterday.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzue74y7A84" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzue74y7A84</a>

But more interesting than that, a lot of information has come out.

The biggest news is that instead of playing as one character like in every game thus far, you play as three. You can freely switch between them at any time when not in a mission. It zooms out into the sky revealing the whole map, it shows where each character is, you pick one and it zooms down to where they are. When the characters aren't being played by you, they go about their daily lives and can wind up in different situations. There are also missions where you can play as two or three of the characters, all possibly doing completely different things. Like, one guy could be flying a helicopter, another on a roof sniping and another on the ground, and you could choose which you want to do or switch between them throughout the mission. Though apparently sometimes you have to switch, which is understandable.

Rockstar said that the map is larger than GTA IV, San Andreas and Red Dead Redemption combined. There's also wilderness and desert, which I thought was really cool in San Andreas. But it's made more lively by the addition of wild animals, like in Red Dead Redemption. So I guess you can go around destroying deers with your car.

There's a lot of neat other information too:
http://www.gtav.net/news/4477/first-gtav-online-previews-amp-new-screenshots
http://www.gtav.net/news/4473/game-informer-gtav-preview-now-available

As shown in this thread, I didn't think Rockstar could actually come up with a major new gameplay change for a GTA game. This whole three-character system is a HUGE deal, and I'm way more excited because of it.

Rep:
Level 102
THEY HAVE TUNAS AND SUBMARINES AND SHIT

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Not on PC :'(

Rep:
Level 102
Every non-mobile Grand Theft Auto game ever made has come out on PC. Just not at launch.

*crack*
Rep:
Level 64
2012 Most Unsung Member2012 Best NewbieFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots
All of my scripts are totally free to use for commercial use. You don't need to ask me for permission. I'm too lazy to update every single script post I ever made with this addendum. So ignore whatever "rule" I posted there. :)

All scripts can be found at: https://pastebin.com/u/diamondandplatinum3

Meet me in the middle
Rep:
Level 89
or left of the dial.
For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam botsSecret Santa 2012 Participant
Every non-mobile Grand Theft Auto game ever made has come out on PC. Just not at launch.
and they've all been unoptimized as a horses ass for it. they didn't make GTA IV on PC decently playable until BOGT. hopefully they don't make that mistake again.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
But for console owners, now
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep