RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[FULL] Burstem

Lemme smang it gurl
Rep:
Level 71
RMRK Junior

Burstem is a quick and simple arcade game in which the player must pop as many circles as they can within a span of sixty seconds. The challenge comes when they're popped: each large circle spawns three smaller circles upon death. When these smaller circles collide with the larger ones, the smaller circle bursts into three even smaller circles. These tiny spheres slowly fade out and disappear on their own, but if they collide with the medium circles, they'll combine to form a large circle.

The fewer large orbs you're left with at the end, the better you've played. It's like golf.

---

right, so anyone that knows me knows that i'm constantly working on some miscellaneous project, be it a game or utility or something. i've been slacking off as of late due to a family emergency involving my sister being diagnosed with ovarian cancer. being preoccupied with that does not a lot of motivation to work on anything make.

BUT, the fine surgeons have successfully removed the tumor, so everything is peaches. burstem here is simply a way to get myself back into the thick of things.

that being said, you should totally download it. it's only a few megabytes, mainly due to sounds and such.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
Sorry to hear about your sister, but I'm glad that she has gotten better.

The game sounds like a lot of fun. I will definitely try it.

Rep:
Level 85
Winter is here.
Sucks about your sister. Glad to hear she's okay.

That said, I gave it a whirl. It's frustratingly addicting. I can't keep the amount of orbs below 20 or so.
Eddard Stark art by Teiiku

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I liked it, but I think it needs a visible scoring system which also gives points for dissipating orbs entirely.

As it is, the best strategy I found was simply popping every large orb that appeared on screen - it wasn't too hard to do it fast enough so that it was very rare that any medium orbs would run into it and so very seldom did I make new large orbs (since I very seldom had any of the small orbs).

I think it would be better if (a) you received a more nuanced score; and (b) you gained more points for destroying orbs utterly. That would allow for more complex strategies where you keep large orbs around in order to explode the medium orbs, and thus run the risk of creating large orbs.

That said, I think it's a really good concept and you did a very nice job!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 03:07:15 AM by modern algebra »