RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XP] After Man (completed)

pokeball OwlOffline
Rep:
Level 73
RMRK Junior
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Normal)

What is going to happen when, and if, humanity can no longer live on earth?
The answer to that question would be one of the themes in this game.

So what is this game?
The year is sometime not so far into the future.
Humanity is on the brink of destruction due to the enviroment being damaged by humanity. So what humanity does, is start building a huge spaceship, which will travel to a planet found far away which is likely to be able to harbor humanity.
But there is already life on this planet and it may not be as peaceful as one would have hoped, as you will soon discover...
And that is where the story starts.

The gameplay in After Man is mainly focused on exploration.
Initially you are in control of a unnamed human after the spaceship carrying the hope of humanity landed on the new planet.
Note that this is NOT a RPG, more likely it would be described as a sci-fi adventure game.
As such there are no battles. If there is any, it will most likely consist of you running like hell.

All the art in the game is custom made by yours truly, not a rpgmaker xp resource as far as the eyes can see.
The music and sounds, however are taken from various artists, but again, no rpgmaker resources.
Read the credits in the intro if you're interested in where the music come from.

The idea for this game is something i got when i read two books by the Scottish geologist and author, Dougal Dixon. The books in question is: "After Man: A Zoology of the Future" and "Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future". I highly recommend them if you're into sci-fi or are interested in how humanity could end up in the future.

And here, the game.
Mediafire download: http://www.mediafire.com/?2mc13g5l5s97dd4

And finally, the stuff that most people will probably look at and decide if this is worth their time, the screenshots:

The voyage to the new planet begins.

Onboard the ship, in a machine room.

Again, the ship. This area is filled with gas so you need to wear a gasmask here.

You do get outside of the ship eventually, but showing a screenshot from that would be spoiling the story a bit so i won't show any of those.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 12:48:28 AM by Owl »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
This looks very interesting. I'll probably download the game in the morning and give it a swing.

Rep:
Level 82
Another surrealistic game from Owl. Very. Cool.

Downloading now!

EDIT: Wait, I keep getting my head chewed off during the worm scene. I pressed all the buttons (They all turned light blue) and I have the fire extinguisher. What should I do?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:41:23 AM by Zacpower4 »

pokeball OwlOffline
Rep:
Level 73
RMRK Junior
Hey there fellas, glad you decided to give the game a swing.

Oh and about the worm thingie, if they are all light blue you are home free, run for it.

Rep:
Level 82
Ah, I see. Playing now.

Oh, and I spotted a spelling error: when the fish started 'dieing'. (Dying)

Rep:
Level 83
Love SOSA
Whoa. The screenshots are so...cool. I can't find a proper word for it but I love it! I'll have to play this once I come from GameStop.

pokeball OwlOffline
Rep:
Level 73
RMRK Junior
Thanks for pointing out the error, i'll change that if i ever make another release, which i won't unless i got a bunch of stuff to change or improve.

And thanks to rgangsta for thinking it looks... cool?