RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A Breakthrough in Battlebacks

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
    Battle Maps
    Description:

I've just had a brilliant idea! What if there were a script that removed the crappy swirl effect from the background and teleported your player to a pre-specified map whenever a battle occurs? What I mean is, what if there were battle maps, apposed to battlebacks? As soon as the battle ends your location should be returned to and the event (if an event was in process) would continue. (If no event was in process it would return you as if a regular battle occured.) It would save a lot of time for game developers and it would save the space required for the Map Saver script + the Battlebacks script. There would be no need for a Map Saver script so you could just use the brand new battlebacks script!

Wouldn't it just be wonderful?  ;8

Features:

• Either per map basis or script call to determine battle map
    • NO SWIRLY EFFECT D:<
    • Must be compatable with Tankentai SBS ATB
    • Recommended Parallax Mapping compatability (Just In Case)

More feature may be added.[/list]

Rep:
    Level 97
    2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
    I would suggest just using one of the battleback scripts that allow you to use pictures (which already exist) and just use pictures of the maps to which you'd want to teleport in your idea. It would load a lot faster than composing an entirely new tilemap graphic every time you go to battle.

Rep:
    Level 74
    I'm baaack!
    No tile maps would be required (at least I think so :S)

It would just be normal maps that you take the pictures of. I have a battlebacks script but I was hoping for this script to save time.

my name is Timothy what's yours
    Rep:
    Level 79
    Hello
    2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
    You'd need to create a tilemap to take a picture of the map. I think it would be best if you used a pre-existing battleback script and used screenshots of your map as the background. It would be much faster. I think said script would also be able to remove the 'crappy' blur effect as well.
    it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
    Level 67
    Eternal Newbie
    I'm not sure if this would achieve what you want, but couldn't you also use the snapshot_for_background (defined in Scene_Map I think) to create a picture of the map you're on and use it as a battleback? Please correct me if I'm wrong or if this is infeasible.

Rep:
    Level 79
    Hello
    2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
    snapshot_for_background is defined in Scene_Base.
    Code: [Select]
      def snapshot_for_background
        $game_temp.background_bitmap.dispose
        $game_temp.background_bitmap = Graphics.snap_to_bitmap
        $game_temp.background_bitmap.blur
      end
    It would work to do it that way, but it would actually probably be quicker to load pictures preset in a module than to go to the new map, take a snapshot and use that as the battleback then transport back to the original map.

Rep:
    Level 74
    I'm baaack!
    snapshot_for_background is defined in Scene_Base.
      def snapshot_for_background
        $game_temp.background_bitmap = Graphics.snap_to_bitmap
        $game_temp.background_bitmap.blur
      end
    It would work to do it that way, but it would actually probably be quicker to load pictures preset in a module than to go to the new map, take a snapshot and use that as the battleback then transport back to the original map.

The reason I don't want to do this is because of the number of maps I have for battlebacks... Well I only have three but I will eventually have lots.

Rep:
    Level 79
    Hello
    The reason I don't want to do this is because of the number of maps I have for battlebacks... Well I only have three but I will eventually have lots.
    I don't think you quite understand what I was getting at. Doing it by your proposed way would take the same amount of wasted time and space every time you went into a battle. My way only takes up the data to store the graphics (which can be compressed anyway) and the time it takes to take the screenshots and store them. It's marginally easier to do, takes far less time and the only con is the used data.

Rep:
    Level 84
    This text is way too personal.
    Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
    I think he means linking to a map as if it were an ABS, and then teleporting back to the original map with the same co-ordinates and everything.

Edit: Cooked this up in a few minutes -
    # NOTE: This script REQUIRES my Tilemap to Bitmap script, which can be found
    # here:
    #
    # http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Jmqcn5rq
    #
    #===============================================================================
    # Map to Battleback
    #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # Version: 1.0
    # Author: cozziekuns (rmrk)
    # Last Date Updated: 10/6/2011
    #===============================================================================
    # Description:
    #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # A tool which allows you to directly use tilemaps as battlebacks. Does not
    # support parallax mapping as of yet, and requires Cozziekuns' Tilemap to Bitmap
    # script.
    # Updates
    # ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    # o 10/6/2011 - Started Script.
    # To-do List
    # o Nothing. Post some ideas.
    # Instructions
    # Copy and paste this script above Main Process but below Materials. The modules
    # should be changed following these instructions:
    #
    # o MANUAL_TRIGGER: The switch id to set to true if you want to manually change
    #                    the map id of the battle taking place.
    #
    # o MANUAL_VARIABLE_ID: The variable id of the map_id you want the battle to
    #                        take place. Will only be used when the Manual Trigger
    #                        switch is set to on.
    #
    # o DEFAULT_MAP_IDS: The map id you want to use as a battleback when on a
    #                    certain map id. For example, if I wanted to use the
    #                    map with id of 4 as my battleback, and I wanted it to be my
    #                    battleback whenever I was on the map with the id of 2, then
    #                    I would add into the hash: 2 => 4.
    #                    Syntax: DEFAULT_MAP_IDS ={
    #                      map_id => battleback_map_id,
    #                      map_id => battleback_map_id,
    #                      ...
    #                    }
    #
    # o USE_REGULAR_BLUR: Do you want your map to be blurred? Set to true if so,
    #                     otherwise set to false.
    #
    # o USE_RADIAL_BLUR: Do you want your map to have the default radial blur? Set 
    #                    to true if so, otherwise set to false.
    #
    # o STRETCH_BACKGROUND: Do you want to stretch the background? Set to true if
    #                       so, otherwise set to false.
    #
    # o STRETCH_BACKGROUND_WIDTH: How wide do you want the background to be. The
    #                             value is only used if STRETCH_BACKGROUND is set to
    #                             true.
    #
    # o STRETCH_BACKGROUND_HEIGHT: How tall do you want the background to be. The
    #                              value is only used if STRETCH_BACKGROUND is set
    #                              to true.

module COZZIEKUNS

module REVBB

MANUAL_TRIGGER = 5
        MANUAL_VARIABLE_ID = 6
        DEFAULT_MAP_IDS ={
          1 => 2,
        }

USE_REGULAR_BLUR = false
        USE_RADIAL_BLUR = false

STRETCH_BACKGROUND = false
        STRETCH_BACKGROUND_WIDTH = 640
        STRETCH_BACKGROUND_HEIGHT = 480

end

end

if Game_System.instance_methods.include?("tilemap_to_bitmap")

#==============================================================================
    # ** Scene_Map

class Scene_Map < Scene_Base

alias coz_infinate_revbb_scm_terminate terminate
      def terminate
        coz_infinate_revbb_scm_terminate
        if $scene.is_a?(Scene_Battle)     
          id = COZZIEKUNS::REVBB::MANUAL_TRIGGER
          manual_id = COZZIEKUNS::REVBB::MANUAL_VARIABLE_ID
          default_map = COZZIEKUNS::REVBB::DEFAULT_MAP_IDS[$game_map.map_id]
          map_id = $game_switches[id] ? $game_variables[manual_id] : default_map
          $game_temp.background_bitmap = $game_system.tilemap_to_bitmap(map_id)
          $game_temp.background_bitmap.blur if COZZIEKUNS::REVBB::USE_REGULAR_BLUR
        end
      end

end

# ** Spriteset_Battle

class Spriteset_Battle

if not COZZIEKUNS::REVBB::USE_RADIAL_BLUR
        def create_battleback
          if COZZIEKUNS::REVBB::STRETCH_BACKGROUND
            width = COZZIEKUNS::REVBB::BACKGROUND_WIDTH
            height = COZZIEKUNS::REVBB::BACKGROUND_HEIGHT
            source = $game_temp.background_bitmap
            bitmap = Bitmap.new(width, height)
            bitmap.stretch_blt(bitmap.rect, source, source.rect)
          else
            bitmap = $game_temp.background_bitmap
          end
          @battleback_sprite = Sprite.new(@viewport1)
          @battleback_sprite.bitmap = bitmap
          @battleback_sprite.ox = bitmap.width / 2
          @battleback_sprite.oy = bitmap.height / 2
          @battleback_sprite.x = 272
          @battleback_sprite.y = 208
        end
      end

end

else

p "This script requires Cozziekuns Tilemap to Bitmap Converter."
      exit

end

It requires my Tilemap to Bitmap converter. Tell me if that wasn't what you wanted.
    « Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:43:06 AM by cozziekuns »

Rep:
    Level 74
    I'm baaack!
    I just skimmed through the comments and it seems perfect. I'll try it out and if it works, I'll use it.

EDIT: PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    « Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:13:42 PM by Infinate X »