RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Bullying Must Become Illegal.

Rep:
Level 69
It's somewhat of a fallacy to use percents because it's on a scale of 1-100 and were talking about millions. If 50million kids were bullied and 500,000 committed suicide, that's a large amount of kids.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I was typing a big exposition on my thoughts on this whole thing, and my beliefs in general, but I decided that you would all probably think I'm a monster. So I deleted it, and I'll write this instead:

I feel sorry for the boy's family, because their son is dead.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Oh Holk, we already know that you are a monster. In bed.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
It's somewhat of a fallacy to use percents because it's on a scale of 1-100 and were talking about millions. If 50million kids were bullied and 500,000 committed suicide, that's a large amount of kids.

Wow, that was actually well said scalinger. :o

Rep:
Level 82
@Acolyte:
You need to re-read my post that got you started off on a tangent. I never said 99.999% of DEATHS were not suicides. I said 99.999 DO NOT COMMIT SUICIDE. That is a pretty accurate figure. There is an astronomical difference in the two. You are getting all in troll-mode because YOU didn't actually read what I said properly. You took it the wrong way, and now just instead of saying "Oh, my bad, I misread that.", you are hell-bent on "being right", no matter if has anything to do with the original reason or not.

@Zylos:
I am not "for" bullying. I am saying what can anybody realistically do to stop it?  I support harsher punishments in school for and increased awareness, but neither of them are problem solvers, they are a drop on a forest fire. If it saves a life, then its worth it, but criminally charging a child for name-calling is ludicrous.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I am not "trolling", nor am I "hell bent on being right". I'm saying suicide is a serious problem, and if you can't see that, then I'm guessing you've never been exposed to it, or contemplated it. You're concerned with making this into an argument. I'm going to stop posting now, because this is completely pointless.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
To STOP bullying... very little can be done, honestly. Just like there's little to be done to prevent one person from murdering another. But like committing murder, there are ways to handle the aftermath. There are ways of providing counseling or help groups for meeker students, there are ways for teachers to better keep an eye out in the future if they know that one student has been regularly picked on, there are ways bullies can be punished if there's sufficient accusations against them (ie, multiple people having been picked on, someone having witnesses, etc, etc).

As far as criminally charging... Perhaps, perhaps not. I'll let the courts argue that one, as extreme as it sounds. If one person abuses another to the point of suicide, there has been cases where the first person is charged with murder, and I believe there are several laws out there about cyber-bullying now.

Rep:
Level 69
  Every harshness has a good and bad side. Look at the Spartans, they killed and weeded out specific infants to become warriors and, with a small group of people, accomplished amazing feats. NASA picks astronauts based on their height because of the physics of the crafts. Any time you weed out based on something you will get better results in what your looking for, at a price. In this case, some learn 'why should I care what they say' while others kill themselves. Imagine if, in boot camps for the military, the drill sergeant was nice to them, would that help train them for the rigors of combat? In this case though bullying can be said for the purpose of being emotionally tougher but some kids commit suicide so there is a cost in this also.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato
Why is it that almost every time there's an even remote connection to the government in a thread, Irock supports the government fully and takes almost the exact opposite stance of what sounds like the right thing to do?
But I rarely support the government and I always take the stance of what sounds like the right thing to do.

It's an issue that ought to be dealt with by schools, parents and individuals, not the law. Even if you want to be outrageous and get the government involved, it would make more sense for it to be handled at a state level, just as most laws (such as murder) are.

Bullying is bad, but Lady Gaga is misguiding her effort.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Bullying is a problem, yes.  Not the name-calling "haha fag" sort, but the brutal physical abuse, or the sort of utter psychological devastation that it seems little girls are so prone to causing.  Something should be done.

I agree to this sentiment.

However, I refuse to agree that the government should be giving stupid little teenagers criminal records because they were stupid little teenagers.  Teenagers don't understand consequences, or even think about what could be going wrong or any of that.  You'll never get them to, they're too young.  Treating stupid kids as criminals because they are stupid kids is not going to solve anything.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 69
Prosecuting kids for bullying is like giving them pills for being hyper in class, it doesn't solve the underlying issues.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
There is no way to solve the underlying issue.  The underlying issue is that kids are brutal, always have been, always will be.  The best thing we can do is try to give age-appropriate punishments, and educate them.  Parents and teachers need to stop being passive, and the government needs to stay out.

Rep:
Level 82
There is no way to solve the underlying issue.  The underlying issue is that kids are brutal, always have been, always will be.  The best thing we can do is try to give age-appropriate punishments, and educate them.  Parents and teachers need to stop being passive, and the government needs to stay out.
Well said. My sentiments exactly.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
I disagree, but then I'm probably being optimistic. I feel the government should get more involved, but not to the degree that Lady Gaga is suggesting. The government should be involved with positive reinforcement and support rather that with actual punishment or setting "standards of conduct". I mean, getting a criminal record for calling someone a faggot is idiotic; a detention or other suitable school punishment would be best depending on the severity of the actual cases. But it would make perfect sense if there were state laws forcing the schools to try harder to crack down on it, provide a better environment for the students and awareness of everything, etc etc etc.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I think schools can handle that themselves.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
punishing people or kids for being kids is not right. whats next some guy goes to jail for 5 years for calling some one a douche? all because he had a bad day and that persopn pissed him off?

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
That's like saying "Let's not persecute people for sexual harassment, it's just guys being guys!"
Physical and verbal abuse are not okay, no matter what age you are.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Bullying is a part of life.

Its called humanity. We all do it, aware of it or not. It either kills you or makes you stronger. Having been through 13 years of physical and mental torture at the hands of other people, I learned that you either suck it up, fight back or die.

Harsh, but I wouldn't be who I was today without learning to defend myself against this and its made me stronger as a person.

Its sad when people kill themselves, but its not something you can just fix by making it "illegal". That would also be impossible, BTW.

Rep:
Level 84
---> LOL <---
the more you make something not ok, the more people are going to do it

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2014 Most Missed Member2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
the more you make something not ok, the more people are going to do it
Like trolling you?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Musician2012 Best UsernameFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
That's like saying "Let's not persecute people for sexual harassment, it's just guys being guys!"
Physical and verbal abuse are not okay, no matter what age you are.
Sexual harassment isn't illegal either, it's just frowned upon in school and work environments.
Which is exactly the same treatment bullying gets.
Neither should be illegal and if you think so, you're retarded. Now if you want to sue the fuck out of someone for doing either, be my guest, but a kid should never go to jail for plain and simple bullying.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
When did I ever say they should go to jail? Maybe you're the one with the bad reading comprehension?
Also, sexual harassment is illegal.http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sexual_harassment.cfm

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
To address the sexual harassment point.

The difference between bullying and sexual harassment is that sexual harassment is enacted by adults who should know better.  Kids don't know jack shit about how their actions affect the world around them, and they will never come to that conclusion at such a young age.

You can't punish someone who doesn't understand the repercussions of their actions to the full extent of the law.  That's why murderers sometimes plead insanity.

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
When did I ever say they should go to jail? Maybe you're the one with the bad reading comprehension?
Also, sexual harassment is illegal.http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/types/sexual_harassment.cfm
In work and school environments.
AND you were disagreeing with a post who only said bullies should not go to jail, had nothing to do with other forms of persecution. So in essence, yes you were condoning jail-time for bullying.