RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Working on a Skill Script Package for RMVX similar to Magicka

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
RMRK Junior
Hi there.

I am new to the RMVX and new to Ruby and RMVX's database.

However I am not new to scripting in itself.

I've gone through the basic RMVX tutorials on how to make a really simple quest and dungeon just to familiarize myself with the system.

Now my goal is to actually make a script package to allow the players and rpg-crafters out there to use their skills/spells just like in magicka.

If you are not familiar with magicka go out and play it. It is a lot of fun, especially playing it with friends.

The core idea behind its magic system is that it allows you to combine 5 basic elements and create more powerful spells. It ends up being many many fun spells etc.

Anyways back on topic, I've gone through the script editor and the database or at least looked through it.

These are my current thoughts on the project and I was hoping to get some feed back from more experienced Scripter in RMVX to see if what I intend to do is on the right track.
Code: [Select]
#===============================================================================
==
#Script: Skill Compination Magicka
#The goal of this script is to allow the player to use skill combinations
#just like it works in Magicka
#That means you are able to queue up to 5 skills; 10 skills if they use
#    combiniation skills
#Those 5 skills should scale appropriately and then be executed at the same time
#===============================================================================
==
#Reference:
#    Game_Actor:
#        defines how to fetch data from the database
#    Game_Actors:
#        initializes the Object Game_Actor for global use in RMVX Script
==
#Classes Needed
#    Game_Actor will need to be redefined to Game_Actor_Magicka
#        it will be easiest to redefine the script and functions if done so at the
#        base Object
#    Game_Actors_Magicka will initialize Game_Actor_Magicka
#    Window_Skill_Magicka/Window_SkillStats_Magicka will be needed so players can look up their skills in the
#        menu
#    Scene_Skill_Magicka may need to be created. I am still not quiet sure where/
#        how it is best to queue up 5 skills/10 skills

==
Another question is how am I able to write into the database itself without having to pull out the RMVX user interface. There should be a way to access the database through an editor.

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
I'm not really an expert at RGSS, but I do not think you need re-definitions of the Game_Actor class. That would only make things harder.

How am I able to write into the database itself without having to pull out the RMVX user interface? There should be a way to access the database through an editor.

Modify the $game global variables. You should check out Game Interpreter for translating event commands into script, which will include stuff like changing a certain actor's name, etc.

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
RMRK Junior
thanks for the reply

yeah after some thoughts manipulating or redefining game_actor wasn't such a good idea.

where do i find this Game Interpreter?

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2014 Best IRC Quote2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
It's the last of the Game scripts in the script editor, right before Window_Base.
It's a veritable minefield (teehee) of information.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 69
RESIDENT ADONKADONK
Really when I attempt to make scripts, looking at the default one's is all I can do.
Welcome new scripter.

I'm back.