RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Greetings!

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
RMRK Junior
I suppose I should be honest, right off the bat- the main reason I found my way here is because I am working on a rm2k3 project, for about 2 years, and the one complaint I receive the most about it is that I use rtp.

Initially I planned to ignore these protests as a matter of differences in taste, but now I see that this whole rtp business is a deal breaker for people looking at games.

So, I need to start looking for chipsets, and matching facesets, charsets, and battlecharsets for my heroes.

For anyone interested in looking at a snippet of the game, here is a link:
http://youtu.be/St7NIcSRdaU

Personally, I think it's what you do with what you use that makes a game good, but some disagree with me, some more vehemently than others.

Any advice or pointers to resources for a high-fantasy world would be appreciated.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I understand what you mean, it's unfair but true: People appreciate original graphics in games more than is acceptable.

The main reason this is is that anyone can sit down and make a game with the RTP in a rather short time and it will be total shit. This makes people wary of games using the RTP because it is likely an indication of lack of effort, not to mention that (and I don't know why, as I personally love them) most people find the RTP chipset ugly.

However, if a game has original or, at the very least, non-standard chipsets, it makes it look like there was more effort put into it. I find this is just a silly way of fixing things that often doesn't fix the actual problem (as this is often the first thing people point out, it is often the first thing changed and the real issues remain).

So, if you think your game is good enough to stand on it's own, I wouldn't even worry about changing any of it graphically. Instead, work on the more important aspect, making your game fun and interesting on it's own respect through story and features.

On a related note... I really hope the whole game isn't like this boss battle because it would wear thin extremely quickly. You need to either go with RTP or try to rip (note, this does not mean rip off it means to extract them) graphics from final fantasy 6, but putting an FF6 graphic into the game just doesn't work for multiple reasons.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 11:34:34 PM by Sashikinaroji »
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep: +0/-0Level 67
RMRK Junior
You mean the fourth wall breakage? No, no. This was a one time bit. The tower of trials is one of those arena areas you find in rpgs, where you battle hordes of monsters for rewards.

...in retrospect putting up such a thing as the first real demo video wasn't such a hot idea, was it?

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
no, I was talking about the inconsistant usage of sprites. You have to chose one or the other, otherwise the result doesn't look right.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.