RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMXP - Sprite-making, sigh...

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
RMRK Junior
Hi all

I've started making my characters with this site: http://www.geocities.jp/kurororo4/looseleaf/
And I've made two so far, but when I wanted to make a thief-boy I realised that the site didn't have what I was looking for my character... I miss a bigger selection of clothes for the males.

Then I thought, well, I love the face/hair on this sprite (that I just made). I'll just mix it with an already excisting sprite from RMXP, right.?
But how do I do that excactly.? Any suggestions.?

I also discovered something else; when using this site tp make sprites, they turn out slightly higher than the originals from the RTP. So basically, I have to choose whether I want to use that site or the RTP, right.? Or is there a way around this problem.?

One last question, is there a program/tool to make sprites from scratch.? Or maybe just take the hair from one sprite, and the upper body from another and lastly take the lower body from somewhere else to kind of flue it all together.?

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Most Promising Project2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Project of the YearParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
But how do I do that excactly.? Any suggestions.?

You'll have to use a graphics editor and the selection tool to select what you want, then you can copy and paste that portion into another file. There are many free graphic editors to choose from, including Gimp, Paint.NET and so on. Personally, I use Paint Shop Pro 7 because I've become very comfortable with its layout.

One last question, is there a program/tool to make sprites from scratch.? Or maybe just take the hair from one sprite, and the upper body from another and lastly take the lower body from somewhere else to kind of flue it all together.?

Using a graphics editor is most likely the best that you'll do in terms of finding a program to make sprites from scratch. There are an abundance of sprite-making tutorials that you can browse through that would be more in depth in this matter.

Also, just because the sprite generator doesn't have the clothes you want, it doesn't mean that it's the end of the line for your character idea. Once you get good at snatching up pieces that you want and stitching them together, you can do just about anything with the small amount of clothing options provided to you. Here's a character that I did a while ago using the copy and paste techniques I've been talking about, just to give you an idea of how you can proceed :

< Character Pieces >

(Clothing)

(Jacket)

(Main Hair; From Male hair options)

(Hair Accessories)

(Pony Tails)

(Backpack Idea; From Male clothing options)

< End Result; Joined Together and Edited >

You'll see that I used pieces that came from male options as well, don't feel limited. It'll take some practice, but combining sprites together is usually a very simple process once you get used to it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:04:29 PM by Exhydra »

UPDATED 05-29-14

IS YOUR PROJECT OPTIMIZED?
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

RMRK Junior
Wauw, the final sprite turned out wonderful.!!

Okay, so I'll diffenantly start using some graphic tool - I already have Paint Shop Pro 9 installed on my PC, so I'll think I'll work with that... Any tutorial-links you might want to share.?  :-\

Rep:
Level 82
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Easy Mode)2013 Most Promising Project2013 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2013 Project of the YearParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 10
Hmm, not really. I learn best by just trying things out. That and I don't see any that really get into how you edit sprites, though I'm sure they're out there somewhere.

You'll be using the Selection tool mostly, if you want to copy and paste pieces of one sprite onto another. Zoom in to the sprites with the Zoom tool and Shift+select the portions that you want.

I did an ultra-quick video to show the very basics in selecting and copying. From there, it just takes some practice. I might make a video tutorial later on.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecNxB_h7tXg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecNxB_h7tXg</a>

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5

RMRK Junior
Thank you so much, that's what I call professional help  :D I can't believe you just made a video like that.!
You know, videos really ARE the best way to show others how to do things  ;)

Again, thank you so much, it doesn't look that hard, so I guess I'll just keep practicing.!  :)

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
wow that's a nice easy selection tool, maybe I should check out paint shop pro

Rep:
Level 82
Just to be clear, that's Paint Shop Pro 7 being shown. Version 8 is alright too, although it is sort of a memory and CPU hog. I haven't tried any of the later versions, as 7 has fit my needs. It's a little simplistic in places, but that's what makes it easy to use. Good old Shift+select.

UPDATED 05-29-14

UPDATED 07/04/15 - v2.5

RPG MAKER TOOLBOX
UPDATED 07/04/15 - v1.5