RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Request] Shadows on top of people and other events?

Rep:
Level 84
Okay, so the auto-shadows or whatever they're called...is there any way to make it so that they'll be on top of other events and the autotile grass so that it looks more like a shadow, and not a dark patch on the ground when you stand on top of it?

pokeball TDSOffline
Rep:
Level 84
-T D S-
Silver - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - Game In A Week VII
Look up Modern Algebra kill auto shadow script. Then change passability/priority of the shadow tiles on B to above the character (Star).

Then place them on the map and they should show up above the character.

Let me know if this works out for you and if it doesn't work, I'll try to make a script for it.

Have a nice day.

Rep:
Level 84
I tried it, and it kind of works, kind of doesn't.

Doing it that way makes the shadows really black, and I have to place a lot of them in with events, so it slows down my frame rate having tons of evented shadows on the ground.

Rep:
Level 84
Bump. Is anybody able to whip up a fast script to put autoshadows over people and events?

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
uhhhhh... Why do you need events for the shadows???

If you go into VX, you can set the passibility of the tiles to an "o" an "x" and a "*" if you hit the orange body above the tilesets (on the right side). If you set the passibility to a "*", it makes the tile appear above the actor.

Because a shadow is semi-transparent in the tilesets, it would make it appear as if the shadow is falling on him. It looks the same as a regular shadow.

If you aren't sure which tiles are the shadows, they are in tileset B, the 9th row and the 1st-3rd columns.
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 73
Artista
2012 Best Artist2012 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)2011 Best RPG Maker User (Graphical)Winner - 2011 Summer Project of the Season
Why do you need events for the shadows???
If a shadow happens to fall on an object from tile B-E, you would have to use a shadow as an event. Otherwise, one overwrites the other. So, if a map has a bunch of objects in shadow, it can take a lot of events to make them look natural.

-
@DarkCodeZero:
I was going to suggest possibly using picture overlays, as they naturally show over events, tiles and characters. But that may not be as convenient for you. If you do go with that route, Original Wij's Fixed pictures script makes it very easy to keep the picture in place.
My current project:

Rep:
Level 84
Yeah, the way I map, a picture overlay would be a pain in the butt.

And yes, I need them to be autotiles, because I usually put things on the left side of the screen.