RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Want some advice/suggestions about playing blu-ray on my Full-HD tv

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
Hi guys.

I have a problem, that of playing blu-ray movies on my tv. I am trying to figure out the best approach.
Currently I have a Xbox 360 (The new one version) connected to my tv. My desktop which cannot read blu-ray disc is located in another room. There are room for more HDMI connections to my tv.
The Xbox 360 can read the Windows Media Center on my desktop where I am using Wireless N. In practice the bandwith seems to be around 50-70 Mbps. (I believe this should suffice for blue-ray playback)

I see the following possible options:
  • Buying a blu-ray drive for my desktop and stream it to my xbox. Can this be done without first ripping it? My desktop is properly powerful enough to rip&convert faster than normal playback.
  • Buying a laptop with an internal or external blu-ray drive and connected it with HDMI. (I am thinking about getting a new one since my current one won't last long)
  • Buy a PS3. I already have a Wii and Xbox which does take up quite a lot of space with games and controllers
  • Buy a blu-ray player or harddrive recorder.
  • Other?
  • Wait until HD movies can be bought on some different media like usb sticks. (They are still way too pricy so despite all their advantages I don't think this will be a possibility for several years)

Note: I can rent and stream 1080p movies through my xbox and the content is fine. The problem is more with the model. While I am fine with renting most movies there are some I would like to own and DVDs simply don't look good enough)

*hugs*

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
HD movies can already be put on memory sticks, you just need the right ripping tools to do it. I would say that buying an 8gb stick, and ripping to there would be the cheapest, if not the most efficient way to do it.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? The nice kind of alien~
Rep:
Level 92
Martian - Occasionally kind
I meant to buy the movies on memory sticks rather than discs. Buying a blu-ray drive for my PC and then putting movies onto a memory stick after ripping them is a possibility I will consider, thanks!

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Truthfully, the best thing to do would be to get an iPod or an external HDD. This way, you could archive movies that you ripped, and watch them on a TV anytime you want.