RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
The MONA

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
http://www.nonvisiblemuseum.com/

Please, someone, explain this to me in a way that makes me believe this isn't the ballsiest, dumbest scam ever.

EDIT (quoted from below):

I made this topic because I think the world is going bonkers. Where is the sense in paying a celebrity 10,000 dollars for air? Or even one dollar? Why did kickstarter allow this to go up, let alone think it was a good idea to support such a ludicrous venture? Is there not some sort of commision or governing body that prevents the sale of NOTHING whatsoever? I don't know, I would like to think that sort of thing is illegal, somehow. If I really think about it I can see ways of skirting around with "donations" and such, but for fuck's sake is there not a BULLSHIT lever to be yanked in case of stoner asshat?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:19:06 AM by Arrow-1 »

Rep:
Level 96
davej (17 June 2011 | 1:03 AM CDT)

If you go to the Kickstater video and scroll down, you'll see that someone has actually paid $10,000 for the 'fresh air.' What do we do now?

semper fudge (17 June 2011 | 5:25 AM CDT)

We stop breathing that guy's air.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Sounds kinda neat. It's not something I'd pay money to participate in, but it's an interesting concept.

On second thought, I didn't realize that those little reward things were just *descriptions* of artwork. Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. You shouldn't have to pay for a description. :|

$10,000 for air, lolwut.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:07:05 AM by Acolyte »

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
well, it seems scammy as far as it goes but the idea of a non-visible art "gallery" is not a bad idea. it'd be like those relaxation audio tapes or something but like made to be artistic.

I mean some music does this it sets a mood sets a topic via a few words and is just atmospheric.

Rep:
Level 96
That's all fine and good, but even then you've got music to listen to. But what's being described here is the use of one's imagination, ie, that stuff we're all supposed to be able to do but with someone else doing all of the fun parts. You know how we rip on those guys here who have an idea for an rpg maker game, but then they only make two maps and quit? Yeah, as far as I can see these MONA dudes don't even bother to make those two maps. They're just like, hey wouldn't it be cool if, dot dot dot? That doesn't take talent, that takes boredom and free time. I bet, in fact, that someone half my age is better at it than me.

---------

BUT, that's not what my topic is really meant to be about, and I should clarify that now (and shortly after this writing, in the first post). All that is just opinion.

I made this topic because I think the world is going bonkers. Where is the sense in paying a celebrity 10,000 dollars for air? Or even one dollar? Why did kickstarter allow this to go up, let alone think it was a good idea to support such a ludicrous venture? Is there not some sort of commision or governing body that prevents the sale of NOTHING whatsoever? I don't know, I would like to think that sort of thing is illegal, somehow. If I really think about it I can see ways of skirting around with "donations" and such, but for fuck's sake is there not a BULLSHIT lever to be yanked in case of stoner asshat?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:20:01 AM by Arrow-1 »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Its just a fundraiser idea guys. Its basically a more creative way for people to donate.

Rep:
Level 96
Alright, that puts it in a different light, but to what? I might be more inclined to play along with this if I had some idea of where the money was actually going, but it's obfuscated by things like empty air with a 10k price tag.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
How did you find the website? Random surfing, or were you linked to it? Because if I had to take a guess, I'd say that it was something made internally for a group of people/organization that would know what it was for when they went there, and then it leaked to the public.

Rep:
Level 96
I was on a site that was for movie reviews- as well as reviews on other things. I can't remember the name right now, I hadn't been there before and I stumbled over it on google when I was looking up info on X-Men: First Class. There was a short article on the MONA in the side bar, labeled "James Franco is Officially Just Fucking with You."

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
I don't know if it is just fundraising. I don't see any cause and it doesn't seem like Aimee Davison (the person who bought the $10000 air) did it just to donate to something: http://www.onehundredjobs.ca/2011/06/why-i-paid-10k-for-non-visible-new.html

And the "artists" seem to take it seriously enough: http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/praxis

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Well, apparently she "Sold her soul" for $100, so I guess money isn't an issue when she's getting idiots to just throw it at her.

Also, isn't James Franco the guy in the spiderman movies ?_?

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Looks more like Amiee Davison did it so people would notice her. I've never seen anything so full of itself.

:tinysmile::tinysmile: