RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
I Require halp....no i'm serious, custom computer builders take a look...

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
Hello everyone, Recently I decided that the time is nigh to aquire a new computer, however i do plan to custom build it as i would like soemthign that can compete with the horror that is Moores law?
So, I would like to know from the custom computer afficianados what it actually is I require to create a computer. I know the obvious, like a case, power supply, ram, fans, motehrboard etc, however, i'm not quite sure exactly what is needed.

Once I get an awenser to this, I plan on finding all the parts making a list and gettign feedback again.
Appreciate the help :D
         ~Forte

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
You should say what you can re-use from your current computer =o
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Here's a user-friendly picture plentiful guide to actual building: http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/26986920

If you got a real life friend who has experience building computers you could ask him to help you too.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 85
Appreciate the help, if the question ends up needing to be asked, the only thing i can reuse form my computer is the hard drives, possibly the power supply but I doubt it.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
If your power supply is old, it should be replaced. Recycling them, while cost effective, is a very bad idea. That shit is truly the life and soul of any computer, and having a shitty or old one will lead to damage all up and down the street on every component on your computer.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 85
The power supply was slightly upgraded last year, however I highly doubt that it will have enough voltage to run a new motherboard, graphics card and whatever else the computer needs combined

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Here's a good article on power supplies: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2624/1

If you bought a power supply last year I'd expect it to be fine. What model power supply is?

Rep:
Level 85
Its an ultra LS 400?

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Here's the starter question;

How much are you looking to spend here?
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 85
Sicne I don't need hard drives or moniters, or keyboards, I considered anywhere from 800-1200
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 01:38:15 PM by IAMFORTE »

Rep:
Level 85
Heres what I have

MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II OC 880MHZ 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini-HDMI DX11 PCI- *IR-$9*

Intel Core i5 2500K Quad Core Unlocked Processor LGA1155 3.3GHZ Sandy Bridge 6MB

MSI P67A-GD53 (B3) P67 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 3PCI-E 2PCI SLI CrossFireX SATA3 USB *IR-$3*

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Seasonic S12II 620W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80+ Bronze 6+8PIN PCI-E W/ 120MM Fan

Samsung SH-S223C 22X DVD Writer SATA Black Retail

Antec Sonata IV ATX Mid Tower Quiet Case 3X5.25 4X3.5 1X2.5IN 620W USB 3.0 120MM Fan - Black

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64BIT DVD OEM

the total is $1139.97
Anything I'm missing?

Keep in mind I don't really need ahrd drives, And I opted for the 620 W powersupply sicne i didnt think my current oen would work.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
if you want a stupidly overpriced machine you don't need unless you are doing something like 3d modeling or like high end cad work.

Rep:
Level 85
Thats over priced?
I will msot likely need this for 4 years, I'm not exactly sure what is need for my university course, but i am told it will involve either Cad or 3d Modeling. Besides, I'd really liek to be able to play new games.

Crew Slut
Rep:
Level 93
You'll love it!
For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki
Ignore Strike.

I haven't looked for new hardware in a while so I'll probably not be as helpful, but:

That should be fine for four years.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130610
This EVGA GTX 560 Ti is the same price as that MSI, but slightly more powerful.

Maybe you should probably get a higher wattage PSU. I'm not too sure, though. Depending on the amount of HDDs and peripherals you use, it may not be enough.

Rep:
Level 85
Alright, Thanks, In all seriousness I just picked the 620W becuase it was higher than 400.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Alright, Thanks, In all seriousness I just picked the 620W becuase it was higher than 400.

Erm, doesn't that case come with a power supply?

Rep:
Level 85
i don't know : O