RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
{RMXP} Unsung Heroes

Rep:
Level 71
:)
Unsung Heroes
A RMXP Game

Hello everyone, this is going to be my first game, so please check it out! Demo is now out!

This is going to be a fast-moving game where it throws you right into the action, and most importantly, the gameplay! I'm not promising the best story, I have little writing experience. However, i'm doing my best to make it fun, which is what I think is the most important thing in a game.

Story
Spoiler for:
Power-hungry mages have found ways to open gates to hell in order to tap into demonic power. These newly dubbed 'Summoners' are highly dangerous, and as a result of their gates, demonic influence seeps into the land. The dead rise as demons, and the wildlife mutates into hideous beasts. Most Kingdoms throughout the land go to great lengths to stop rogue summoners.

The protagonists are a small mercenary group formed shortly after the summoner threat became widespread. However, they're not just in it for the money. The fight means more to them than just a job.

Characters
Spoiler for:

Features
Spoiler for:
Running: Hold shift to move at double speed.

No random encounters! All enemies are there on the map, visible. Most enemies respawn if you leave and reenter, or if you save and reload.

Item creation(Working on)
Spoiler for:
Using materials dropped from enemies, you'll be able to upgrade items into better ones. For example, you could combine some lunar herbs(items that barrier any ally when used on them) with a max revive and create a lunar revive, a reviving item that would not only revive a fallen ally, but help them get back on their feet and stay there by buffing them with barrier.
Character Specialization(Will work on later)
Spoiler for:
Later in the game, you will have a chance to 'specialize' your party into more advanced character classes. For example, the mage class could choose to gain healing abilities, or possibly become a mage knight and gain the ability to wear metal armor.

Demo(1st demo out!!!)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=246VCSKC

Screenshots! (updated)
Spoiler for:

New

Old
Spoiler for:

Demo is out! It's kinda rough and i'm still working on balancing stuff, so please tell me what you think of it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 08:37:24 PM by JhenMohran »

I wouldn't say that running is a feature. Anyways, looks good for a start. You should get some non-RTP graphics.

Rep:
Level 71
I'm too lazy to get some non-RTP graphic. RTP can look nice, and I can map it decently, so i'm sticking with it for the moment. But thanks for the comment.

RTP looks nice but it is boring as hell because we have seen it before way too many times.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
True, it can get boring, unless he's good with it. Instead, if you plan on solely using RTP tiles, get some nice lighting scripts and some fog overlays to aid with the mood and look of your maps. I'm really liking the sound of the Item Creation, it seems really nice. Your story is cool as well, I know we've heard about the demons and what not throughout rpg history but the twist with the mercenaries as protagonists is a pretty good addition to the story. I'll be sure to check out the game when that demo arrives, good luck with this.

Rep:
Level 71
Thanks!

I'm going to be delaying the demo a bit so I can include some item creation. After the forest area(1st area after tutorial) enemies will start dropping materials, and materials will show up in chests. There isn't going to be much weapon/armor creation until later, but i'm making the bulk of the item creation right now.

Rep:
Level 71
DEMO IS NOW OUT!

Please try my game out, and help me make it better. :)

Also, i'll update the character section later.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
The demo isn't working for me, says I'm missing the DLLs, the folder looked pretty empty when I extracted it, as it only held 'Game', 'Encrypted Game' and 'Configuration Game', I don't use XP much, so I don't know if that's how it's supposed to look or not, but I can't play.

Rep:
Level 71
...Weird, I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

I'm blaming my sister who told me she would test it on her computer to see if it would work like 6 hours ago but didn't.

I'm going to try and figure out what's up with it.

EDIT: Well, I dunno, it works fine on my computer. Does it say you're missing the RGSS100J.dll? Are you sure you have the RTP? I'm a noob with game uploading.

Doubleedit: It works on my sister's computer fine.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 10:11:01 PM by JhenMohran »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
it says I need RGSS104E.dll - I'm not sure why it's acting up like this, considering that my XP works and is functional with other games.

Rep:
Level 71
I really have no idea what to say. I'll try one of those methods to distribute a game without the RTP, and see it it lets you play it. Try redownloading the rtp? I dunno, i'm confused D:

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Can you make a demo with the RTP? If that's not asking too much.

Rep:
Level 71
I just put all the rtp stuff and everything i'm using right in the game folders, so there's no reason it shouldn't work now. I'll update the demo link ASAP.

Sorry about all the trouble, I should have done this the first time D:

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
for some reason I'm still getting the error, it might be a Vista thing, I'm not really sure... sorry man, I had been itching to try it out :(

Rep:
Level 73
Collapse.
doesn't work for me either..
it gives me an error.

Rep:
Level 71
hnnnnrg

I never put the audio files in the game's folders, just the graphical rtp stuff.

I'll update the link, and it had better work or i'm going to punch something.

edit: updated, sorry for being a dumbass. If this doesn't work i'm pretty sure nothing will.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:02:15 PM by JhenMohran »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
I think you're fine with the resources you included, it's just that the game isn't working (and still isn't) because of that dll file.

Rep:
Level 73
Collapse.
yeah, and I have a vista too, but i don't think that's the problem. because it has never happened to me before...

Rep:
Level 71
I found a website with the missing dll file, I dunno if it'll work or not. I think the problem is that more recent RMXP's use the 104 dll while you guys have the 102, not the 104.

I found the RGSS104E here,
http://www.filecrop.com/RGSS-DLL.html

Put it in c/windows/system32, that's where all the dll's go.

All this trouble to try a guy's first game, you two might be dissapointed .-.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
Yeah, the game started up now, so after I play a bit I'll edit with some feedback.

EDIT:
First off, I like the start of the game, how you put the player into a cool mission, and then later explaining what was happening, it's a cool way to tell a story. The first fight, with the Demon, I at first thought it was one of those fights where you were supposed to die, so I did (lol). So I played again, everyone but the shield man died once, it shows me how difficult this game may become, which can be good and bad, as 3 deaths is pretty strange for the opening boss (unless I'm missing some sort of tactic in gameplay). To comment on your mapping, it is pretty plain, especially the town. Speaking of the town, not only is it blank and lifeless (no citizens) but you can only enter one building (everything else was 'Locked.', which makes the player feel pretty trapped and given a straight forward route to how they want and can play the game. I also didn't understand why your party members starting at different levels, I'd expect them all to be of the same amount of experience since they seem to all know each other and are mercenaries and what not. You should also think about adding in some of those cool lighting and fog effects so that specific places have a specific feel and mood to them. When I entered the demon's tent, the tint of the screen and the overall feel of the location was pretty much the same as when I was outside. Characters aren't the only ones that deserve a bit of personality.

So, work on your mapping, make the game a bit more lively, forget about the difficulty factor that I had mentioned because it may not be the same for anyone else.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 10:18:35 PM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 71
:D

Thanks for the critiques. The game is going to be pretty hard, so make sure to use defence buffs a lot, especially on the mages. Also, the game is kinda weird, positive buffing moves DO stack, but the game won't display it. .-.

Anyway, i'll try to work on my mapping, and the town's going to be pretty empty for a while,(I hate mapping towns) and with the level thing I was trying to portray Cyrus as the most experienced. He'll balance out, he levels a bit slower.

You won't really need to grind in this game much, you only generally need to fight each enemy once. However, starting with the forest you'll be able to grind by leaving and coming back to the area, and unless you're feeling hardcore, you might want to grind a little. My guinea pig tester survived the boss with zero grinding, but it wasn't pretty.

And I just realized i'm like literally half this topic's posts. I should stop squealing like a fangirl every time someone aknowlegdes my existence.

Rep:
Level 71
Quick update, if anyone really cares >___>.

I'm on my spring break now, so i'm getting a ton of work done. I've been balancing and trying to improve in general. There's going to be a new demo in a couple days, and it'll end right after it the character specialization, at the end of a new area.

Also, I really need to make a character section, first post is bland.