RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Brink

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Anyone planning on getting Brink? Here's the website if it is unheard of.
http://brinkthegame.com/
Brink is yet another of those multiplayer-heavy fps games. The twist is that you have a large deal of customization and strategy for going about your daily dose of shooting people. It's rather deep I might add. Armor and weapon customization and perks have a large impact on gameplay, and so does the size of your character. Smaller people have more agile moves, like running on walls, hopping over stuff and what not while bigger people can carry more powerful and heavier guns and have more hp. Along with that are class systems (i forget them all) but there is medic, gunner dude (forgot the name) and demolition... and other stuff.

Anyway, the point of this is that the game looks like a hunk of ownage, but it seems really no one has heard of the game. I've been telling people and what not at school to get the game, most of which had never heard of the game, I'm just hoping some of those fps fans might check this game out, so I can have something fun to play with a lot of people rather than playing call of duty no matter how much i hate it just because there are a ton of people playing.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 07:43:54 PM by Strike Reyhi »

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
You're wrong. The twist for this game is that single-player is multiplayer. More accurately, when you do missions, the enemies are all real people playing the game. Yes, it looks good, but no, comparing it to Call of Duty is inaccurate. Its very different.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Thank you Holk for saying what I came here to say.

Also plenty of people have heard of the game.
Your friends just live under a rock.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Best Writer2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Most Mature Member2014 Favorite Staff Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
rather than playing call of duty no matter how much i hate it just because there are a ton of people playing.

I think this is all that needs to be said to show this is a silly topic.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Instead of talking his views on Call of Duty how about we talk Brink?

I think it looks really good and I think I might buy when it comes out.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
multiplayer needs less customization. this is getting stupid. fucking blackops barebones pure is so refreshing. i actually enjoy CoD again.

I hate brink on the principle that it wants to be call of duty with more bullshit that probably won't be balanced in any way. unless they have blizzard levels of support for PVP balancing this game will invariably be shit.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Its not trying to be Call of Duty. Why does everyone compare everything to that series?

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
because everything must have perks or some way to have different base stats from eachother, which is fine in a class based game like tf2 but is horribly stupid when each class setup can be any combo.

admittedly i haven't seen much about brink, so i don't know the route they are going for customization but i think allowing any combo the player wants is bad for gameplay overall because you can't balance everything.

Tf2 or BC2 while you might have x gun you're still a whatever class you picked and have the advantages or disadvantages of that class, leading to better game balance.

Rep:
Level 94
If anything, I'd say Brink is more like Borderlands with crossplay.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
okay looking more into it it seems like the archetypes might fit the bill for more of a class based thing, but we'll have to see.

Rep:
Level 94
I think a lot of people are missing the point about this game. It isn't deathmatching or CTF or anything like that that makes the game interesting. Its the crossplay. Granted that The Crossing was slated to do this exact thing almost 4 years ago, but Valve dropped the ball on that one, and Bethesda picked it up and ran. I'm not worried about classes, customization, or anything like that. I'm worried about the community. I mean, when a company designs a game in which mission's a.i. bots are replaced with human players, they're putting a lot of faith into their audience. It could either be the most important and enjoyable experience in gaming, or it could be a disastrous mess. If people play the roles that they're supposed to, the idea of this game is incredibly intriguing to me. If, as I predict it to be, the game is filled with trolls and assholes, then it would be the least fun thing I can imagine. Aside from that, the balance for the game has to be nearly spot on, even moreso than Left 4 Dead. After all, the "bad guys" job in any game is ultimately to die. If you have every single enemy being a human controlled character, this could be difficult. On one side, the enemies have to be strong enough to provide a challenge for the "good guys", but weak enough to allow forward momentum. On the other side, it has to be fun enough, and rewarding to play as the antagonists. Speculation doesn't amount to much, so more than any other game coming out soon, this is a "wait and see".

In short, I'm very excited, but I still remain skeptical of the crossplay.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
rather than playing call of duty no matter how much i hate it just because there are a ton of people playing.

I think this is all that needs to be said to show this is a silly topic.

I read that as "why should I play a game I don't like just because all of my friends are?" rather than "I don't like it because it's cool"

Rep:
Level 85
I solve practical problems.
For taking arms in the name of your breakfast.
The software they are using on brink is incredible in my opinion : 3 I plan to fetch it regardless of how broken multiplayer is. Perhaps there will be methods to scale down the strength of the enemy players to allow forward progression?

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
Isn't there a single-player mode anyway? So if multiplayer sucks enough, you could probably still garner some love for the game from single-player.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
with as much focus as they are putting on mp, i don't expect the single player to be longer than 5 hours. homefront sure as fuck wasn't. touted the fucking story over all else BAM 5 hour campaign that feels like half the levels were cut. but this is a topic for another thread.

Rep:
Level 94
God dammit, you're still not getting it.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Yeah, man, Holk's all excited why you gotta go and hate?

Rep:
Level 94
Its not that, its just... well, I mean I love you Strike, but you look at games too myopically.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
how am I shortsighted? I simply prefer balance in a multiplayer environment and dislike sacrificing single player length and quality in order to focus all efforts on multiplayer. if you must focus on MP then go the quake 3 route and don't have a campaign.

companies feeling the need to tag on a campaign is almost as bad as companies tacking on a half-assed multiplayer mode because it's expected.

Rep:
Level 94
You're short-sighted because you're looking at everything through the lens of what already exists. This game is attempting to break out of that SP and MP (as we know them) mold, and do something different. Sort of like L4D did. This is not aiming to be a traditional FPS, so looking at it as one is limiting your own idea of what video games are, and can be. The closest analogy I can think of on quick notice is Pokemon. It may be an RPG, but it is more than the sum of its parts. Brink, at its core, is an FPS. That doesn't mean that its like Call of Duty, or anything else before it. Therefore, your myopia isn't at particular aspects of a game, (campaign length, classes, etc.) rather in your entire view of gaming.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:30:46 PM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
People have reported errors with ATI cards, but there has been a fix rushed out.

I still have my pre-order as its out on the 13th, still looking forward too it.

Rep:
Level 94
These reviews are really bad. Not bad as in "the game is bad", but bad as in "lets all bash the game and say its broken, but not be specific." I mean, 1up is shitty as it is, so we can all disregard that, but ars is usually pretty good. That's why I'm surprised that their "review" was basically; "We're not going to review this because its broken. You shouldn't buy it. The end." What the fuck is that?

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
Apparently none of the reviewers got a copy of the PC version, only 360 version.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
There's a massive thread on the steam forums about the game crashing just after the splash logo. A ton of people are getting that, including myself. :|

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Wow, they're not actual real devs, but basically modders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splash_Damage

Modders teamed up with Bethesda. What could go wrong? :P
bringing sexy back

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
frankly the bethesda modding community is RIDICULOUS.

Rep:
Level 94
Splash Damage are originally iD modders. They put out Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, which is incredible.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Well I got brink to work great. I was using Parallels Desktop 6 for Mac to run windows xp sp3 but this was pissing me off so I installed bootcamp with windows7 which ended up being a lot better since bootcamp is able to access my actual drivers and utilize the full extent of my hardware. So anyways, I love this game. I don't understand all the bad reviews. I'm still getting used to the parkour and shit but it's fun as hell. The only issue I found was the sound cutting out randomly and that a lot of the server games are really laggy but that could have just been me as I played online for only a few minutes before going to bed.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:01:15 AM by grafikal »

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Makes me wish I had internet/a console.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Splash Damage are originally iD modders. They put out Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, which is incredible.

Agree.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I forgot about this topic... well, I got the game, it's pretty good for about a few days, (2 of them). Now it's just a game I play to waste a bit of time, it gets repetitive fast, but it's a fun game when the players aren't playing terribly and the lag is bearable.

Rep:
Level 102
bringing sexy back