RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Five Trends of Modern Gaming That Need To Vanish

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I prefer playing alone most of the time. I'm not really a social person, though.
A game shouldn't require other people to be entertaining. I have nothing against good multiplayer, but a game should be able to stand on its own.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
That's entirely true.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Not necessarily. It depends on what the developers are going for. MAG, for example, is all multiplayer.

Rep:
Level 96
But a game you walk into a gamestop and drop 60 bucks for, I would say, should be able to stand on its own.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Even party games?

Rep:
Level 96
Those have single player in them, the ones I can immediately call to mind. Mario Party had a single player campaign of some sort in every iteration. It was small, but enough to enjoy.

Smash brothers is definitely geared towards playing with friends, but there's plenty to do with unlocking characters and getting through arcade / adventure / SSE / whatever mode.

Fighting games are all about player one versus player 2, but you can spend a solid amount of time playing through arcade to see the various endings / getting your ass handed to you by an AI fighter.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I didn't say they didn't have single player. I was asking if you think a party game should have to stand on its own as a single player game.

Rep:
Level 96
I'm not saying it should be KNOWN for it, I'm saying that if I'm paying full price for a game I should be able to enjoy it by myself- which is exactly what I said.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
By that I mean Single player being sacrificed for multiplayer ala MW2. You can have the best multiplayer mode in the world, it don't mean jack if the singleplayer is balls.
My social life consists with talking. I like playing multiplayer if I can punch my friends there and then for being a bastard.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
That's just completely wrong though. I mean, some games are designed to be multiplayer only. And as far as unlocks in a fighting game, that shit can go away, too. Why make me play a game that I only want to play with friends over and over again just to get the character I want? Its pointless.

Rep:
Level 83
If you want something completely built for multiplayer that should be built for multiplayer, play a MMO. Even then, they need a solid set of single player activities.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
By that I mean Single player being sacrificed for multiplayer ala MW2. You can have the best multiplayer mode in the world, it don't mean jack if the singleplayer is balls.
My social life consists with talking. I like playing multiplayer if I can punch my friends there and then for being a bastard.

the only thing super terrible about mw2 singleplayer was the short length. the multiplayer is terrible. so really that's just a case of developer-retardation

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Number 4 has to be one of the worst for me. I found out a few weeks back that Tales of Graces F (new Tales game for PS3) is coming overseas after fan response. This sounded amazing since Namdai have had a "ALL NON-JAPANESE CANNOT GRASP THE CONCEPT OF JRPGs" thing going on for almost a few years now, so a localized Tales game for PS3 sounded awesome.

What was the first thing "fans" demanded? "DON'T DUB/WANT A JAPANESE OPTION"

Even before realizing how amazing it is for another next-gen Namdai JRPG being localized is, they moan about english voice work that hasn't even happened yet.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:04:57 AM by Tezuka »

Rep:
Level 94
Right, bitch about one thing, and then bitch about another. I hate those people.

Rep:
Level 96
Absolutely me too.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Even before realizing how amazing it is for another next-gen Namdai JRPG being localized is, they moan about english voice work that hasn't even happened yet.
I mean, to defend them, English voice work has had a tendency to be badly done. It's just inductive reasoning, and it's like a movie that had a really great plot and idea as well as effects and a great director but putting in bad actors.

Rep:
Level 94
It doesn't matter what the reasoning is. The point remains that this is a stupid trend. This is an English-speaking country, so obviously the games should be in English. I say, if people are going to bitch, just cut the voices all together. Most of these shitty shovelware RPGs like Mana Khemia and stuff don't even need them. They're boring enough with voices, so having text-only isn't going to change much. We're so fucking spoiled today.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
I mean, to defend them, English voice work has had a tendency to be badly done. It's just inductive reasoning, and it's like a movie that had a really great plot and idea as well as effects and a great director but putting in bad actors.

Believe me; if you could understand what they were saying in Japanese, you would know how stupidly intense and freaky it can sound sometimes. Depending on the person, it could be just a "the grass is always greener" thing, or just full on "I WISH I WAS JAPANESE". Sadly the second one is much more prominent in the undub community.

But yeah, it always depends on the staff that work on cast calling. For the past 2-3 years, I have played many localized games that have had fantastic english voice work, even with games that had a slightly lower budget than most. No More Heroes for example: I remember when Travis just came out with his first words in the game: "FUCK HEADS". I laughed like hell, the voice actors they chose for the game were just amazing and (deliberately) hilarious at the same time.

I actually think the term "undub" sounds insulting on its own. It pretty much says "put it back to the way it was", for a company to go through a lot of casting work only to see/hear a "fan" say "THIS GAME NEEDS TO BE UNDUBBED" must be annoying.

tl;dr I agree.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:03:40 AM by Tezuka »

Rep:
Level 96
It's also discouraging when considering localization. If that's the point they're focusing on, do they really care enough for a company to even bother porting a game? And on the other point you made, yes, english voice acting is excellent lately, save a few annoying outliers.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
english dubs on japanese games are notoriously gay, but thats why i adore them.

down with the retarded fan-weeaboos!

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
PC community for any FPS

Its either

"We want free DLC"

Or if its being released on Steam

"We want hats for TF2"

Also hats on TF2 >:I

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Another thing is games like all these shitty FPS's having the best graphics. WHYYY.

Rep:
Level 94
I'd take the PC community over Xbox anyday,

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
holk do you even HAVE xbox live, because there are plenty of douchebags on both.

Rep:
Level 94
I do, well, I occasionally do. I let my gold subscription lapse unless there's something I really want to play on it. Since I'll probably be getting Bulletstorm on 360, I'm going to rejoin then. And you're totally right, there are massive douches on both. In my experience, though, I like the people I've met on PC more than on 360.