RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Five Trends of Modern Gaming That Need To Vanish

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
1 - Talking about your kill/death ratio.
2 - Modded controllers: Why not just play a game with an automatic "win" button?
3 - Expensive headsets, or more realistically, thinking that having an expensive headset makes any difference.
4 - Undub culture: If you don't speak Japanese, how the fuck is this better?
5 - Playing games for achievements/trophies: That score is impressive, but all your points are from Disney games.

Special Bonus Sixth Trend!

6 - Parents who let their kids buy M rated games, and then complain to the government about kids buying M rated games. My favorite quote? "As long as there's no nudity."

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I agree wholeheartedly on all points, except maybe 4. I don't think there's anything wrong with watching/playing something with subtitles. Sometimes the English voice acting is pretty terrible. I will admit that the way people go on about it just sounds like elitism, especially if the dub voices aren't that bad.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Maybe I should've been more specific. There's nothing wrong with games using subtitles, its the mindset that the "undub culture" has, that you aren't playing the games the right way if they're not in Japanese. Its just weaboo bullshit.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
1) people being concerned with kdr is fucking pointless kdr means nothing if your w/l is shit, dumbass kids care about kdr. even then it really doesn't mean shit it's still just a game play goof off have fun, jesus christ.

2) this is a complaint almost EXCLUSIVELY applying to call of duty. besides that it's not that hard to shoot semi autos pretty fast it gives them a MINOR edge at best. ergo herp and also derp. if you seriously think you're getting stomped because of the controller back the fuck out, christ.

3) headsets are fucking awesome for immersion in game sounds. So what if some turbonerd uses it to hear your footsteps. see response to #1

4) where the fuck is that goddamn weeaboo shit. no one even thinks that except weeaboos seriously it's not even a major subset. certain games NEED language options I can't even tell you how many people in like central america and europe complained about the shitty redubs in like spainish and german and whatever else for fable and tons of other games but most of that is for originally English games that get translated because we shit all over our localizing. but where the fuck is this outside of final fantasy for "NEEDS JAPANESE DIALOUGE"

5) playing FOR achievements is stupid but going for them for fun is not stupid it's just another goal.

6) quit whining about teenagers playing games who gives a shit mute them or something.

Rep:
Level 94
I agree with pretty much everything you said, but I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say. None of these things effect me personally, they're just annoying trends. I don't play on Live unless I'm playing with friends, so there's that. I just work at a place where these things come up a lot. Specifically for #6, I didn't mean kids playing on Live, I meant kids playing games that are rated M. I mean, people complain all the time about esrb ratings and shit, but then most parents just don't care if their kids buy M rated games. Its not the kids that I have a problem with, its irresponsible parents.

Edit: Oh, and Call of Duty in general is becoming a trend that I wouldn't mind going away. Not that they're bad or anything, they're just too hyped.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
well shit I agree, but most of the wang gargling fuckers who bitch just don't want to have to play with younger gamers because "oh shit man they might be annoying instead of like muting them I'm going to troll all over everyone with a voice higher than mine by even a single octave. know what i mean bro"

that shit is insufferable, I give the little bastards a chance to be normal and hell I've ran into decent younger gamers before on live and like 95% of the time they get raged at even though they didn't do shit. I got matched up with this kid on halo one time; decent kid, cooperative teamate, but probably like 13 had a squeaky voice but wasn't an annoying cunt and every fucking match some dumb asshole'd join the lobby and be all "GET THE FUCK OUT KID WHY IS YOUR VOICE SO HIGH YOU SHOULDN'T BE PLAYING THIS GAME FUCK LIKE GOD DAMN GET OUT AUGH"

Rep:
Level 94
Yeah, that's worse than anything. Like I said, I gave up on the general Live community a while ago, and only play with people I know. If I do jump in a public game, I usually end up muting because of the exact reason you wrote. The only game that I've ever consistently gotten good public games in is Left 4 Dead.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
and as for call of duty stop being a big trend, have faith activision will run it into the ground eventually.

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
RMRK Junior
I agree wholeheartedly on all points, except maybe 4. I don't think there's anything wrong with watching/playing something with subtitles. Sometimes the English voice acting is pretty terrible. I will admit that the way people go on about it just sounds like elitism, especially if the dub voices aren't that bad.

Sometimes English voice acting is pretty bad, but unless you speak Japanese, all Japanese dubs are bad. The accents are atrocious.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
I hate listening to Japanese dialogue- all of the characters sound the same to me. And all of the females sound like they're on a steady diet of helium.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII

Sometimes English voice acting is pretty bad, but unless you speak Japanese, all Japanese dubs are bad. The accents are atrocious.

Objection! That's just your opinion. I personally like the intonation of Japanese. And it's really not hard to pick up a few words here and there if you watch enough.

But this is beginning to veer off topic a bit, I think.

I wish we could just get away from all the shooters for a bit. They've really taken over, and honestly, I don't understand why. I can understand if there's a decent story behind one, but to consistently play the same goddamn game in a different box is just stupid.

Rep:
Level 94
The truth is that weeaboos like to listen to Japanese voiceovers because the girls all sound like they're constantly having orgasms.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
you don't need to play shooters if you don't like them. frankly the big issue that is trending is that there are less and less turn based rpgs now. it is a dying breed. the last real good turn based game I saw come out was Blue Dragon.

Rep:
Level 94
That's fine with me, if less of them means we only get good ones. Lost Odyssey was great, too. And the Dragon Quest games.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
After a while of Live, I just plugged my headphones in and didn't wear them. I don't normally talk during games anyway.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best Counsel2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
For the rest, yeah I completely agree. I like saying that I got a nice K/D after a really intense match or something, but I don't go into another game lobby and start shouting about my 21/20 rate or something. That's just stupid.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
why so doublepost, bro

Rep:
Level 98
Because I can
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:23:24 PM by Anski »

Rep:
Level 98
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 10:26:31 PM by Strike Reyhi »

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
Wagglan. I don't like most wii games, six axis sucks, move is pretty much retarded except for time crisis esque games, and kinect is just bad. The only time's I've enjoyed using the wii mote is in No More Heroes for killing blows and Twilight Princess had a pretty decent control scheme.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
7. People/games that care more about mulitplayer rather than single player.
8. People who assume that being a girl gamer means you want nerdy choad.

Number 8 is a personal one. MW2 is unplayable with a mic for me.

Rep:
Level 94
Gracie wants nerdy choad. Lol.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I most certainly don't.

Rep:
Level 94
I know, dear.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
What's wrong with favoring multiplayer? I personally like multiplayer games a lot more than single player games (usually) because there's more interaction and I'm able to play games with my friends so my social life isn't completely shot down the drain, rofl.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
I prefer playing alone most of the time. I'm not really a social person, though.
A game shouldn't require other people to be entertaining. I have nothing against good multiplayer, but a game should be able to stand on its own.

Rep:
Level 96
That's entirely true.

Rep:
Level 94
Not necessarily. It depends on what the developers are going for. MAG, for example, is all multiplayer.

Rep:
Level 96
But a game you walk into a gamestop and drop 60 bucks for, I would say, should be able to stand on its own.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Even party games?

Rep:
Level 96
Those have single player in them, the ones I can immediately call to mind. Mario Party had a single player campaign of some sort in every iteration. It was small, but enough to enjoy.

Smash brothers is definitely geared towards playing with friends, but there's plenty to do with unlocking characters and getting through arcade / adventure / SSE / whatever mode.

Fighting games are all about player one versus player 2, but you can spend a solid amount of time playing through arcade to see the various endings / getting your ass handed to you by an AI fighter.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
I didn't say they didn't have single player. I was asking if you think a party game should have to stand on its own as a single player game.

Rep:
Level 96
I'm not saying it should be KNOWN for it, I'm saying that if I'm paying full price for a game I should be able to enjoy it by myself- which is exactly what I said.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
By that I mean Single player being sacrificed for multiplayer ala MW2. You can have the best multiplayer mode in the world, it don't mean jack if the singleplayer is balls.
My social life consists with talking. I like playing multiplayer if I can punch my friends there and then for being a bastard.

Rep:
Level 94
That's just completely wrong though. I mean, some games are designed to be multiplayer only. And as far as unlocks in a fighting game, that shit can go away, too. Why make me play a game that I only want to play with friends over and over again just to get the character I want? Its pointless.

Rep:
Level 83
If you want something completely built for multiplayer that should be built for multiplayer, play a MMO. Even then, they need a solid set of single player activities.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
By that I mean Single player being sacrificed for multiplayer ala MW2. You can have the best multiplayer mode in the world, it don't mean jack if the singleplayer is balls.
My social life consists with talking. I like playing multiplayer if I can punch my friends there and then for being a bastard.

the only thing super terrible about mw2 singleplayer was the short length. the multiplayer is terrible. so really that's just a case of developer-retardation

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
Number 4 has to be one of the worst for me. I found out a few weeks back that Tales of Graces F (new Tales game for PS3) is coming overseas after fan response. This sounded amazing since Namdai have had a "ALL NON-JAPANESE CANNOT GRASP THE CONCEPT OF JRPGs" thing going on for almost a few years now, so a localized Tales game for PS3 sounded awesome.

What was the first thing "fans" demanded? "DON'T DUB/WANT A JAPANESE OPTION"

Even before realizing how amazing it is for another next-gen Namdai JRPG being localized is, they moan about english voice work that hasn't even happened yet.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:04:57 AM by Tezuka »

Rep:
Level 94
Right, bitch about one thing, and then bitch about another. I hate those people.

Rep:
Level 96
Absolutely me too.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Even before realizing how amazing it is for another next-gen Namdai JRPG being localized is, they moan about english voice work that hasn't even happened yet.
I mean, to defend them, English voice work has had a tendency to be badly done. It's just inductive reasoning, and it's like a movie that had a really great plot and idea as well as effects and a great director but putting in bad actors.

Rep:
Level 94
It doesn't matter what the reasoning is. The point remains that this is a stupid trend. This is an English-speaking country, so obviously the games should be in English. I say, if people are going to bitch, just cut the voices all together. Most of these shitty shovelware RPGs like Mana Khemia and stuff don't even need them. They're boring enough with voices, so having text-only isn't going to change much. We're so fucking spoiled today.

Rise From The Ashes!
Rep:
Level 91
"Time to bring the Law!"
Project of the Month winner for September 2009
I mean, to defend them, English voice work has had a tendency to be badly done. It's just inductive reasoning, and it's like a movie that had a really great plot and idea as well as effects and a great director but putting in bad actors.

Believe me; if you could understand what they were saying in Japanese, you would know how stupidly intense and freaky it can sound sometimes. Depending on the person, it could be just a "the grass is always greener" thing, or just full on "I WISH I WAS JAPANESE". Sadly the second one is much more prominent in the undub community.

But yeah, it always depends on the staff that work on cast calling. For the past 2-3 years, I have played many localized games that have had fantastic english voice work, even with games that had a slightly lower budget than most. No More Heroes for example: I remember when Travis just came out with his first words in the game: "FUCK HEADS". I laughed like hell, the voice actors they chose for the game were just amazing and (deliberately) hilarious at the same time.

I actually think the term "undub" sounds insulting on its own. It pretty much says "put it back to the way it was", for a company to go through a lot of casting work only to see/hear a "fan" say "THIS GAME NEEDS TO BE UNDUBBED" must be annoying.

tl;dr I agree.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:03:40 AM by Tezuka »

Rep:
Level 96
It's also discouraging when considering localization. If that's the point they're focusing on, do they really care enough for a company to even bother porting a game? And on the other point you made, yes, english voice acting is excellent lately, save a few annoying outliers.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
english dubs on japanese games are notoriously gay, but thats why i adore them.

down with the retarded fan-weeaboos!

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
PC community for any FPS

Its either

"We want free DLC"

Or if its being released on Steam

"We want hats for TF2"

Also hats on TF2 >:I

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Another thing is games like all these shitty FPS's having the best graphics. WHYYY.

Rep:
Level 94
I'd take the PC community over Xbox anyday,

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
holk do you even HAVE xbox live, because there are plenty of douchebags on both.

Rep:
Level 94
I do, well, I occasionally do. I let my gold subscription lapse unless there's something I really want to play on it. Since I'll probably be getting Bulletstorm on 360, I'm going to rejoin then. And you're totally right, there are massive douches on both. In my experience, though, I like the people I've met on PC more than on 360.

Rep:
Level 96
I'd agree with that.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
My main gripe with games nowadays is that they're all action/shooters with incredible graphics yet shallow game-play/stories.  All being used liberally, I know there's still good games out there, but there's too many copycat shit games, franchises being run into the dirt, and short substance-less releases.

INTENSE GRAPHICS!
SO REAL!
LOOKS BETTER THAN REALITY!

We fucking get it, we can make it look nice, now how about some goddamned substantial content to go with it.

Also there's just two reasons why RPG's are dying.
1.) The target market is no longer the average 20-30 gamer, it's the 15 year old whose balls haven't dropped yet, and all they want is guns and explosives.  The market in America is all focused on action and pewpew because we simply can't get enough violence and iron-sights shooting.

2.) Since the good RPG's are so few and far between, they're easily missed, and drift into obscurity.  Occasionally good ones are created and get the fame they deserve, but that's not as often as it used to be.

edit: also PRO BLACK OPS GAMING GLASSES
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:42:03 AM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
I liked how they put a ™ after gaming. Bet it took them all day to come up with "Pro Gaming". Better make sure no one steals it. :V

Also, I agree with everything you just stated. Hopefully now that there isn't too much to improve graphically, they'll eventually wise up. I mean, they have to eventually, right?

Rep:
Level 94
Gaming has always been designed for 15 year old boys. That's nothing new.

Licks
Rep:
Level 91
Sexual Deviant
It's just that now we've grown up into complaining adults and the newest generation just wants to shoot stuff.

They see guns and freak out and tell their mommy that I neeeeed that game.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
I don't only want to shoot stuff. I don't even like COD that much. The only game I've played within the last 3 months that had guns in it was Fable III. That's a stereotype, albeit an incredibly accurate one.
I have only played online console games like 3 times. Hate it. Single player or system link, that's it.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
1. You talk about kill death ratios because when it comes down to it, your level doesn't matter if you suck.
2. I agree.
3. I don't see anything wrong with it, nor do I see it to be a trend, it's more of a shooter thing to do.
4. Having the option for original dubs is something fans do. I got the newest Naruto game for 360 a while ago, I play with Japanese voices simply because it sounds better.
5. I agree and disagree. Yes, it does matter where you got the achievement points from, considering I rented sonic the hedgehog and avatar just to get an easy 2k pts on Xbox so I agree with that. But, Achievements for games that actually have difficulty, like getting Seriously 2.0 in Gears of War, that's impressive to me.
6. Indeed.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
seriously isn't impressive. it's easily glitched from what i heard. the fact you rented those or whatever just to get some points makes you a part of the problem with achievements. and judging from your response to the KD one you probably stroke your ego with it. Win loss. much more important. i don't care if you're 3/1 kdr if you usually lose because you're a selfish pratt. most of those faggots with high kdr play objective and don't go for the objective. whatever as long as those kids stay out of battlefield.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
You probably think I'm a Call of Duty fanboy. I play Battlefield, where skill and objectives matter, as there is only one deathmatch mode (which is very unpopular). And I'm sure I mentioned being apart of the achievement problem.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 10:55:51 PM by hiromu656 »

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
you're right, Battlefield IS superior.