RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Map Mess up [RESOLVED]

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
Not-so-Noob
OK, here's my problem. I have a world map that i got off some resources and i somehow manage to walk on everything and anything!  :mad: I have tried to edit this from the database, but nothing seems to work. any suggestions of how to stop me walking on trees? :-\

Day 9- Don't worry peeps, this problem has been resolved, thanks to the help of Zylos! i owe him one  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 09:46:02 PM by crow5757 »

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
Why oh why did you put the screenshot in a doc format?

Anyways, the solution. Database, tileset tab, passibility. If it's marked with an O, it's passible. X, impassible. Did you already set this?

Not-so-Noob
Yes i already did. i tried everything i could in the database.  :(

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Kindest Member2011 Best Veteran2010 Most Deserving Of A Promotion2010 Best RPG Maker User (Technical)
If you're sure you've got the passage properly set, check the second and third layer of the map. You may have it that there are invisible but passable tiles over top that are making the whole map passable. Best way to check is to use the bucket tool and temporarily fill it with something that has a graphic (but not something you'd use or fail to notice later when removing it), like a carpet or such.

Not-so-Noob
nope. i'm sorry, i tried to debug the map, according to the software, there is no problems with it... but there is! to me, it looks like a fualt with the tileset itself... i can't remember where i got it from but i can try to get an image of it if it helps solve my problem.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
The tileset in itself is just an image. No additional data. Therefore it is either simply the configuration, or the mapping itself. Did you download and import the tileset to your game folder, or did you copy the tileset from something like a sample/demo for the piece?

Not-so-Noob
I copied the PNG image into my game folder. at the moment, i have a feeling that i will have to remove the tileset/map in order to fix the problem. maybe the download was a better idea... i'm not sure :-\

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Hm. Well, upload your project to something quick like Sendspace or something and send me the link. I'll take a look through to see what the problem is.

Not-so-Noob
ok, i found the sendspace page, sorry, but i have no idea what i'm doing so  :-\
yeah, i might need a little help uploading everything properly, cuase last time i did something like this, i got Malware on my computer :( so send me a few instructions please, thanks ;)

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
Okie dokie, took a look through and it was in fact invisible passable tiles. You see, RMXP uses three layers, and normally these are just empty spaces that won't do anything until you put something in them. But, there is a blank autotile in the upper left corner of the tileset that is used commonly as a blank space on maps, and this tends to create a problem as it is a passable space.

So, you're gonna hate me for saying this, but the best way to take care of this is to use a separate blank space (another autotile spot) that is marked as impassible, and manually place this on the third layer where you don't want the player to pass. Sounds easy, but this can be quite tedious on larger maps like yours.

I don't really know if there's any better solutions, because frankly I'm not sure WHY this happens sometimes when the blank space wasn't used. ;-;

EDIT:

Quote from: Zeriab
You might not have set the 'passabilities' in the Database > Tab Tileset.
If you still have problems try to use a dummy tile. Make one of the tiles,
that are completely transparent, unpassable and use it to disable passability
on the map on the 3rd layer.

If you want to check the passibilty in your map, just choose some "visible"
dummy tile and fill with the bucket tool one area in the map.
A little trick to actually "see" passability/unpassability on your map.
After you finished editing just bucket it back with a passable/unpassable tile.

Not-so-Noob
i see, and yes, that is incredibely tedious, but i'm sure that i can manage. after all, i am very passionate on my works of gaming! (hoping to find a few voluntary testers soon  ;)

Not-so-Noob
Thanks for the help, mate!