RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Martin Luther King is getting credit for things he did not do.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Franklin, implying King never participated in sit downs or marches is FUCKING STUPID AND IGNORANT WHEN HE WAS ARRESTED FOR DOING SUCH. He did more than just talk, your argument is therefore invalid. He organized rallies and did loads of things for the movement besides just talk. you do not have a full understanding of this topic and you should definitely go read up before you continue making an ass out of yourself.

Too harsh for elitist debate? maybe, fuck it.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 05:18:46 PM by Strike Reyhi »

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
black people u mad lolol

Martin Luther King was a public figure who got a lot of attention from white people during the civil rights movement (like the most attention as far as I ever remember) and therefoooooooooore is the most important black guy. I mean if you want to go into someone who really didn't do all that much for blacks, bitch about Abe Lincoln cool?
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
Creator of Kaethos
It's not what he didn't do. It's what he did do. Martin Luther king was a symbol, a leader for the civil rights movement. His words inspired a people and that's all what it takes. A man who can speak clear and show the world for what they truly are...

Take Winston Churchill during World war 2. In the UK many look to him as the man who saved the country. Despite not actually fighting himself during the conflict, it didn't matter, he was a leader and his speeches united a nation to fight in their darkest hour and we succeeded. Sometimes words is all what it takes to change the world.

Of course action also help and King did actually take part.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 09:13:29 PM by Capn Wolfe »

Rep:
Level 84
Franklin, implying King never participated in sit downs or marches is FUCKING STUPID AND IGNORANT WHEN HE WAS ARRESTED FOR DOING SUCH. He did more than just talk, your argument is therefore invalid. He organized rallies and did loads of things for the movement besides just talk. you do not have a full understanding of this topic and you should definitely go read up before you continue making an ass out of yourself. The NAACP did a lot of good things that King gets credit for in the movement.

Too harsh for elitist debate? maybe, fuck it.

Too harsh? Yes, you're flaming me and being rude.

I also never said any of those things. I said King was never part of the major law changing movements. He wasn't part of the boycott. He wasn't part of the desegregation of schools. When schools were desegregated that also outlawed Jim Crow and all segregation laws which later formed the Civil Rights Act. He wasn't part of the Civil Rights acts. He didn't help blacks get into sports. These are four of the major changes of the black community, and he gets the credit for these things.

King was a public speaker which includes marches and sit ins. Many blacks were also arrested, but NO one gives them any praise for their courage.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:25:32 AM by RATED-RKOFRANKLIN »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Are you implying we should give a holiday to everyone who was arrested, or make them national, known heroes? MLK was the face of the movement, which includes everything everyone else did. It's like saying we just totally forget what everyone else did and pretend they didn't do it. Everyone's well aware everyone else got arrested and hosed and abused by the police, yet you talk as if we're flat out purposefully ignoring them. Do you want everyone who ever got arrested during the civil right's movement to be given a nobel peace prize?
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
To make that short; what are you trying to get at here? This isn't a 'debate' it's a proclamation of your feelings on something and allowing no room for people to even voice their opinion. There's nothing to be done about the credit that MLK gets, because he was the face of the movement. Nobody said he sat down on that bus and ended transport segregation, everyone knows it was Rosa Parks.

Rep:
Level 84
Are you implying we should give a holiday to everyone who was arrested, or make them national, known heroes? MLK was the face of the movement, which includes everything everyone else did. It's like saying we just totally forget what everyone else did and pretend they didn't do it. Everyone's well aware everyone else got arrested and hosed and abused by the police, yet you talk as if we're flat out purposefully ignoring them. Do you want everyone who ever got arrested during the civil right's movement to be given a nobel peace prize?

A lot of people do not get credit for the movement. A lot of white people helped blacks, and NONE of them got credit.

I think there should be a holiday respecting everyone including King. King gets all the glory for the hard work of many other people.

To make that short; what are you trying to get at here? This isn't a 'debate' it's a proclamation of your feelings on something and allowing no room for people to even voice their opinion. There's nothing to be done about the credit that MLK gets, because he was the face of the movement. Nobody said he sat down on that bus and ended transport segregation, everyone knows it was Rosa Parks.

True Rosa Parks deserve SOME credit. However, it was Ed Nixon's plot. He deserves some credit for the idea. No one ever mentions him!

The black community gives the wrong people credit. Micheal Jackson gets credit for getting blacks into music. What happen to James Brown?

Jackie Robinson gets credit for getting blacks in sports. What happen to the blacks in 1920s who played in the NFL(NFC) and AFL(AFC)?

I had this debate with a few friends at work. Most of them said that if it wasn't for King I wouldn't be at a school. I had to correct them and inform them of Thurgood Marshall.

Rep:
Level 98
If you have a book that says how everyone in the world feels about the civil rights movement and all the credit that's around, i'd like to see it, because you seem pretty certain that you know exactly how everyone in the world feels and gives credit to.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
I'm just going to go ahead and assume that RATED-RKOFRANKLIN is either an angry black guy or a skin head.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Franklin, implying King never participated in sit downs or marches is FUCKING STUPID AND IGNORANT WHEN HE WAS ARRESTED FOR DOING SUCH. He did more than just talk, your argument is therefore invalid. He organized rallies and did loads of things for the movement besides just talk. you do not have a full understanding of this topic and you should definitely go read up before you continue making an ass out of yourself.
This. See: Letter from Birmingham Jail. Plus, I guess the president of the SCLC does nothing in deciding the boycotts and sit-ins they do.

Mne eto nado kak zuby v zadnitse.
Rep:
Level 89
U H N
2012 Most Attractive Female Member^_________________^f*ck u >:(LO !!
angry blacks have no reason to be angry anymore really
an6uof hw to aLeme ozle we I

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
It isn't as if he isn't raising some good points though. While I disagree that King gets too much credit, he's right: many are very ignorant of who exactly did what. It isn't taught correctly in school. I've seen a great deal of teachers completely glaze over chapters on the subject in their text books. As a result, king gets credit for his work... and everyone else's. Remember, people are ignorant. So they'll just say what they think is right. And then start believing it. Martin, by no fault of his own, is in fact getting to much credit, just because people don't know any better, and that's wrong.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I think there should be a holiday respecting everyone including King. King gets all the glory for the hard work of many other people.
>black history month.

Rep:
Level 84
>black history month.

Please that month is a joke. White Civil Activist have never gotten credit for their hard work. That month is screwed. Look at my Jackie Robinson example from earlier posts.

The media will focus in these stages during Black History Month.

1. King
2. King
3. King
4. Let's mention Rosa Parks
5. King
6. King
7. Time to talk about Jackie Robinson
8. King
9. King
10. King
11. Don't forget that negro in the white house!
12. King
13. King
14. Lets talk about Micheal Jackson who for some odd reason is now referred to as the black man who got blacks into music. What in the hell happen to James Brown? :mad:

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
so why aren't you doing anything to change it?

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.How can I help you? :Da^2 + b^2 = c^2Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
14. Lets talk about Micheal Jackson who for some odd reason is now referred to as the black man who got blacks into music. What in the hell happen to James Brown? :mad:

Now wait just a second here. Don't you think you're being a little hypocritical by glorifying James Brown? There were a lot of influential black musicians. Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Tina Turner, Louis Armstrong, The Temptations? Do they not matter now? Seems like you're giving James Brown an awful lot of credit....

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
You could go back much, much further than James Brown, it's true. You're basically doing the very thing this thread is complaining about.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Billie Holiday

RMRK's Mom
Rep:
Level 88
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
2014 Most Missed Member2013 Most Mature Member2013 Kindest Member2013 Best Counsel2013 Queen of RMRKBronze SS AuthorBronze Writing Reviewer2012 Kindest Member2012 Best Counselluv u bb <3Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantFor taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2010 Kindest Member
Billie Holiday
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZyuULy9zs</a>

Strange Fruit
Glad I wasn't the only one thinking of her. This song hits me everytime. ;9

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Gloomy Sunday is the most depressing song I've ever heard. It is also one of the best. I think it should be in Fallout.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48cTUnUtzx4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48cTUnUtzx4</a>

Rep:
Level 84

Now wait just a second here. Don't you think you're being a little hypocritical by glorifying James Brown? There were a lot of influential black musicians. Chuck Berry, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Tina Turner, Louis Armstrong, The Temptations? Do they not matter now? Seems like you're giving James Brown an awful lot of credit....

I'm not doing the same thing at all. I never said James Brown was the only major black musician. I simply ask what happen to James Brown. He came many decades before Jackson. He is known in the black community. He is also more popular than the people you listed so it seems odd that he was forgotten. It's like people not knowing Thurgood Marshall. Although the people you listed deserve credit for their talents. I don't think he deserves all of the credit. I do think he deserves some credit.

Rep:
Level 94
He is also more popular than the people you listed so it seems odd that he was forgotten.
Contradiction.

Rep:
Level 98
Maybe it's because James Brown wasn't that great of a singer to begin with. Just because he came before Jackson doesn't automatically make him a hero for doing so. If anyone deserves respect, it should be the ones who actually brought jazz music from being illegal, people like Louis Armstrong, Cab Calloway or everyone in the Great Day in Harlem photo. By the time the 40's rolled around, James Brown was just another musician. Just because he was black does not make him a hero for being successful in playing music.

Rep:
Level 98
That and I HIGHLY doubt James Brown is more popular than the guitarist god of the 60's and 70's.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
James Brown's new hit single: "Guitar Riff- Woo!"