RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
A Couple Questions~ [2K3]

Touhou Fantasy Developer and all around cool person. :)
Rep:
Level 85
T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
Alright, so here's a couple things for ya'll that I need a little help on.

A) I'm doing a level up system for my skills via items, and want to use Skill Scrolls I think for the items to teach the abilities. Now, the thing is, how would I go about so that you have to have the previous level (i.e. you need level 3 to get to level 4) AND making it so that you only HAVE one of that skill (i.e. only Fire4 instead of Fire 1/2/3/5/6, etc.)? I'm assuming I need Common Events or something, but not sure

B) Is there a way of doing HP/MP +% Accessories?

That is all~ Any help would be greatly appreciated~

Rep:
Level 85
One more question to add to this. I was looking at this tutorial (by Sirius), and am wondering how this works.

As in, how to display variables and stuff into messages? Would be interesting to know, and would also help with displaying this timer I have for my game (though I have no idea how to do custom mapping....I need to hire someone or something lol...).

EDIT - And another question....so I have a full-party Self-Destruct move set (my character can use the move to Self-Destruct on all enemies), but I can't do a single target version of this. I don't think I can do this using the Switch type for the ability (since it seems that Switch automatically targets all....unless there's something I'm not seeing...).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:56:42 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 86
Sonic Dog -> Light Spear -> Overlimit -> Slash
A) I'm doing a level up system for my skills via items, and want to use Skill Scrolls I think for the items to teach the abilities. Now, the thing is, how would I go about so that you have to have the previous level (i.e. you need level 3 to get to level 4) AND making it so that you only HAVE one of that skill (i.e. only Fire4 instead of Fire 1/2/3/5/6, etc.)? I'm assuming I need Common Events or something, but not sure

The system I have worked out is kind of clunky (As in, it works very well with a single character, but beyond that it becomes a chore eventing every skill level for every character you've got), but it does function properly...

My tutorial does it based off experience, but using scrolls would actually make the job easier; though that's not saying that using the skill book item type would work.

So, say you picked up that Fire4 scroll from a chest, and now it's time to give it to one of your characters. The item itself should look like this:

Then make a common event that looks a little something like this:

I originally had it worked out to where you only needed one common event per spell, but I didn't have the patience to work out how to get messages to display properly, but maybe I'll go back and take another look at that.

B) Is there a way of doing HP/MP +% Accessories?

Hmm, I never thought about that, but I assume it has to be possible in some way or another. I don't know if I'll fool around with it right now, but try making a blank accessory called Onyx Ring (I think that's what the Tales series calls their HP boost accessories), and set a common event to call when it's equipped on any character (Page 2 of the conditional branch tab). From there, just alter the character's HP by the amount you want.

Do this with all of your characters at the very beginning of the game:

And their Max/Current HP & MP will be stored in those variables throughout your game.

As far as displaying Variable values in messages goes, my tutorial basically covers what you have to do. In the example you posted, the variable in slot 0100 is my fishing level Variable, so it'll be called any time you put the string \v[0100] into a message box. The experience Variable, 0099, will be called any time you enter \v[0099], and so on.

Sorry if any of this is confusing, it's been a while since I've done any 2k3 work...

Rep:
Level 85
Hm. I figured as much with the level up skills that it was SOMETHING similar to that. Though I'll have to be more expansive with it IF I do decide to make an item to forget abilities (reference to FFVIII's Amnesia Greens, though dunno if I'll do that or not...).

Hmmm....I did try that with HP, but I don't think I did it with BOTH values of HP. I know that when I tried to do it with [Something!] (yeah, lame name, I know lol), and then tried to make a Common Event for when it was equipped, increase equipped character's HP by 500, it just looped it until HP was maxed. I'll fool with it more when I have the time. I know I tried to do static values (since 2k3 doesn't do decimals sadly. I tried to do something akin to making v[HP Value 1] equal 25, then make it divide by 100, but that makes it equal 0 >_<

I see, I see. I wasn't sure if I misread the tutorial or what, but now that'll help a lot when I decide to use that tool~

So that only leaves Switch-type skills left, which I believe is impossible to make single target unless those skills are command abilities initially. Same with doing % HP for characters (why they gave the option in the Change Monster HP tab and NOT the Change HP tab for characters is beyond me). Doing something like Demi2 (half HP) won't be hard at all, but things like Demi (1/4), Demi3 (3/4) or Tornado (15/16) seems rather hard to do atm. I'll test it more, but for now, need to do a MASSIVE post on my thread with what I've been doing x_x

I do appreciate your help though Sirius. It's very much welcomed at this point, since I've been working non-stop to try and balance the game out more while finishing up this beta. ^^;

Rep:
Level 85
And new question! This one is important as well since it's a character's starting ability.

Ok, so for this Blue Mage, I have a starting ability for her. The ability has the following damage formula

Damage = 100 x number of Blue Magic skills learned.

So now, I went into my Common Events, and made something like such

Variable Operation:[0483: TS Damage] Set, 100
Branch if [Char] Flare Breath Skill Usable
  Variable Operation: [0482: Terrible Souvernir]+, 1
End

And rinse and repeat for each skill, then in the monster tab, I have this

Show Battle Animation: Terrifying Souvenir [All Enemies (Wait)]
Variable Operation: [0187: Random] Set, Rnd [0-100]
Call Common Event: Terrible Souvernir
Variable Operation: [0483: TS Damage]*, Var[0482]'s Value
Branch If Var[0187:Random] is 79 Less/Equal
   Change Monster HP: Var[0483] Remove
   Switch Operation: [0413: Terrible Souvenir] OFF
End
   Switch Operation: [0413: Terrible Souvenir] OFF

So yeah, when I test it, it works on the first try (I set the RND to be 100% accurate for me), but for each use afterwards, it added 200 (since I have 2 abilities on). I'm willing to bet it's calling the Common Event and it adds ALL of those +1 to the variable again. Any way of working around this to make this work? x_x

***********EDIT*************

To add onto this, I also made a common event which will reduce everyone's HP from both parties to 1. I probably DIDN'T have to do this, but I'm trying to set up a Blue Magic skill that well....reduces all character's, friends or foes, HP to 1! The ability itself was supposed to have a 40% accuracy, but thought that'd be too much since I want it to be random with when it reduces a characters' HP to 1. Basically, I have two Random functions right now....eh, I'll just post what I have.

In the monster group tab...

Show Battle Animation: Nova Storm, All Enemies (Wait)
Var. Oper: [0419: Random 2] Set, Rnd [0-100]
Var. Oper: [0187: Random] Set, Rnd [0-100]
Var. Oper: [0386: Enemy HP 1] Set, (Enemy's HP)
Var. Oper: [0386: Enemy HP 1] -, 1
Branch if Var [0187: Random] is 100 Less/Equal (Normally this would be 39 so it'd have a 40% accuracy...)
   Call Common Event: Nova Storm
   Switch Oper: Nova Storm OFF
   Branch if Var [0419: Random 2] is 49 Less/Equal (this being the actual HP reducing...)
      Change Monster HP: [Enemy] HP v[0386] Remove

And the Common Event for Nova Storm

Var. Operation: [0419: Random 2] Set, Rnd [0-100]
Branch if Reimu in the party
   Var Oper [0086: Reimu HP] Set, Reimu HP
   Var Oper [0086: Reimu HP] -, 1
   Change HP: Reimu's HP V[0086] Remove

Rinse and repeat for each character. Thing is, I don't WANT EVERYONE'S HP to drop to 1 when the ability is used. I would like to randomize that if I can. This WAS based on FFIX's Matra Magic ability btw, but since I can't make it single target with Switches, I'mma make it a All or Nothing deal. Guess I COULD make it like Destroy from FFII....hmmm....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 03:52:59 AM by Xenomic »

Rep:
Level 85
And yet ANOTHER question to add to this....I am going to implement the Teleport/Warp spell, but I want to make it so that when used outside of battle, it'll teleport OUTSIDE of the dungeon (I believe I know how to make it work as intended inside of battle as an alternate Escape function). How to go about doing this?

EDIT EDIT - Ignore that question that was here. Figured it out on my own >_<
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 01:34:13 AM by Xenomic »