RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Question regarding cut scenes, namely debugging events. Any suggestions?

Rep: +0/-0Level 73
Master Shinji, of the Soulmancy Discipline
I am Currently using rpg maker VX. (for simplicity, the hero will be referred to as "Kento," and the event character, "Sandgetsu.") My progress is such; I have made an event in which walking to the beginning of a bridge tile triggers a cut scene. the event works as follows: when the player touches the bridge, the event (which is triggered by player touch) sets a move route to about halfway up the "bridge," and then turns left to face the scenery. after that move route is completed, an event is supposed to spawn, triggering another move route for the spawned event, sending it to the tile next to the hero, again turning left. conversation then ensues. In other words, kento walks to the bridge, and the player loses control functions. kento moves half way up, and sangetsu spawns out of sight. sandgetsu walks across the bridge and stands next to the hero. the both look out in the distance, and have a conversation.
  after the conversation, the hero is supposed to be forced to follow sangetsu on a move route akin to some classic "follow" events in top-down rpgs.

my problem is such; When the conversation occurs, there are pauses between speaking for effect. the character can move in these pauses, which messes with the "follow event" and can trigger some bugs that disallow further progress in the cutscene, and subsequently in the game. also, when move routes are set, sometimes they override later move routes for the same character/event.

My question is: can any one help me develop a better event system for this cut scene? i am willing to start from scratch. i would attach copys of the events, but they are currently a jumbled mess and most certainly is amateur work. thus i deffer to the veterans for help. if you cant reach me through the forums i have an email adress you could send replies to: seventhdayavenged@yahoo.com. i would appreciate the help.
Mankind has ever shunned, even persecuted, that of which they have no understanding.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
In any cutscene, it is better to have the character gone entirely. Lemme 'splain.

Instead of the event moving the PLAYER, have the event change party members to an invisible "dummy" actor, and throw a switch which starts another event that DOES move and looks like the actor you intend to have participate in the scene. When the scene is done, you can then instruct the controlling event to teleport the player to Xmap at Y and Z, and replace the dummy actor with the character in question. Just remember to NOT check the "initialize" box in the party member dialogue box; this will set the actor back to starting level with starting equips.
:tinysmile:

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for December 2009Project of the Month winner for August 20082011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
  my problem is such; When the conversation occurs, there are pauses between speaking for effect. the character can move in these pauses, which messes with the "follow event" and can trigger some bugs that disallow further progress in the cutscene, and subsequently in the game. also, when move routes are set, sometimes they override later move routes for the same character/event.

Use the wait command inside your move route.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

In any cutscene, it is better to have the character gone entirely. Lemme 'splain.

Instead of the event moving the PLAYER, have the event change party members to an invisible "dummy" actor, and throw a switch which starts another event that DOES move and looks like the actor you intend to have participate in the scene. When the scene is done, you can then instruct the controlling event to teleport the player to Xmap at Y and Z, and replace the dummy actor with the character in question. Just remember to NOT check the "initialize" box in the party member dialogue box; this will set the actor back to starting level with starting equips.

SWo in other word's what your saying is to, within the data base, create a empty character slot, and then all you see is the event made to look like the main character moving like other events, thus eliminating the ability to "move" during the cut scene. then just move the player to where control is re-established with out initialization? Hmm... didn't think of it that way. ill give it a shot. thnx.
Mankind has ever shunned, even persecuted, that of which they have no understanding.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Well, it works for me. I mean, eventing cutscenes (and in many ways, eventing in general) is complex, but it is not difficult; there will be many steps but the preparation is not hard, and the end result adds so much to the storytelling.

Just remember to place the "dummy" in a location where the palyer can't move it, even if they're messing with the controller. Another important command to place in the cutscenes is removing menu access. Do all that, and it's as if controller input is frozen.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:58:01 PM by EvilM00s »

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Make 1 event control the whole cutscene, the first event page would be your player touch condition, then the 2nd and any pages after are always on AUTORUN. The player can't do shit anytime. Just turn the event off just after the cutscene is over.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
EvilM00s - you can always just use the Change Transparency Event command and make the player invisible, instead of a whole dummy actor thing.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
I never even considered that!  Thanks, MA!

Thank Modern algebra, and thank you grafikal. it is because of you guys that we noob-onians can even function.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff Member2012 Most Mature MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Most Mature Member2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2010 Most Mature Member2010 Favourite Staff Member
I'm glad I could help, though I'm not sure how I did.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86