RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Writing] The First Few Moments

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
It was aware. Of what it was aware it didn't know, it was too new. The fact that it suddenly realized it was aware was a milestone in and of itself. After all, realizing that there is something in one's mind when before there was nothing is remarkable, if for no other reason because of it's seemingly contradictory nature. It moved in a fashion that it knew instinctively it had done many times before, but in light of the recent discovery of itself the act was distinclty novel. It wanted light, so it used this realization, also exciting from its singularity, to move toward the source of illumination. Of course, all these realizations ran through the little creature's mind without the benefit of any true understanding or capacity to label any of the sensations it experienced because it hadn't the language or experience to do so.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:37:48 AM by boe »
:tinysmile:

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Despite this, the little creature was able to tell itsef apart from its surroundings, and from others of its kind. It could decide. It could tell positive from negative, what felt "good" from what didn't, and in this way it decided that light was good. This light it wanted (for whatever reason) provided good feelings and comfort. It was warm- an improvement from the cold blackness the creature had known at the time of its "awakening". It could discern other creatures and objects by shape and color, another vast improvement from the trial and error it remembered from "before" when one's existance could end by bumping into the wrong neighbor. ANd there, possibly, was the greatest epiphany of all, that the creature was alive, and could therefore die. This light also provided food; there were many other creatures in this illumination and they were diverse and plentiful.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
They were also unaware. The little creature was able to live happily here, warm, well fed and seemingly free of danger. And although it had no words or labels to describe such feelings or thoughts, it knew- whether in spite or because of its lack of terminology- it knew what was good, and pursued it.
The creature didn't try to think deeply, it knew that things around it simply were and that was more than good enough for it.

Time went by and the little creature learned more of its surroundings. It fed, it moved, it felt, it was. And some time after it realised it was, it knew it was alone. This made it feel badly, and- not knowing why- it wanted another like itself.

Again, by some process it could not explain but knew intimately, it made another like itself. The world's first living mind, in an occasion so momentous as to change the course of the planet's destiny for millions of years to come, was no longer alone.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:46:03 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
In the exact moment the new came from the old, it was aware. It had no words, like the older creature, but there were some things it just knew. It knew that the creature before it was like it, and that this being was responsible for its creation. As it took in the light and sound of the world around it, it decided that this was good, and looking at the older creature, in the limited, innocent, pure fashion that new minds so do, it was thankful. Looking at what it had had done, the older creature was struck by a host of new realizations. The most powerful, most overwhelming and at the same time quietest and truest realization hit its tiny, primitive mind; the realization that this new life, this new mind, this new awareness needed It. The older creature paused as the pair sensed each other. This, the creature decided, was good. This was the purpose of its awakening.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:47:29 AM by EvilM00s »

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
This sensation, more than any, is what drove the creatures' lives forward. Eventually, the newer of the pair wanted to do as it's creator had done, and there were three. It, like it's "parent", nurtured and taught the latest arrival to this world because it was, as it felt, the best thing to do. It was better than food, better than light, better than not being alone- it was all of these things and greater, because it simply was. As the small planet spun, there were many generations of these creatures, each slightly different than those who had been before. Together they experienced the newness of life, the wonder of existing, adapting and changing as they needed to continue, thriving in the presence of those they had made, or had made them. They were individuals but together they were an entity greater than the sum of their parts.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
It was from these innocent, pure beginnings that life on the planet took hold, defying predators, climate, lack of food, lack of shelter- all for the same noble purpose of nurturing those that they had brought into awareness. Later generations would complicate this relationship with language and religion. Still further generations would introduce the concept of politics, law and science, all of which, whether intentionally or not, would muddy the clear waters of life. These creatures were very different from those they came from, and the civilisation they made would many times come dangerously close to erasing everything it was supposed to protect. Dark times were ahead of the little creature's descendants, and few of the later generations ever understood that in simplicity lay wisdom. But there were those of that later getting that understood, if only for a fleeting moment, when they looked at the new creature they had made, that this was their purpose. They would understand that the truest things need no explanation, they just are. They would undestand, in the first few moments.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:49:17 AM by EvilM00s »

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
Brilliant. I applaud you good sir.

Gods ain't gonna help ya son...

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Thank you very much!

Rep:
Level 83
King in the North!
Wow, when I first read this, there was only two posts but it was 2:00 am so I had to get off and forgot to comment xD

I really enjoy it, especially the last two posts. They were incredibly good, EvilM00s :)

When I read the latest post's start (It was from these innocent, pure beginnings that life on the planet took hold--) it really caught me. I wanted it to go on a lot longer due to that lol

Good job! Hope there's some more! :>
Winter is Coming

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Wow, thank you! It was kind of like a creative belch; I started writing and... well, it took on life.

More may be coming!