RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Light And Dark

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior

For my project Light and Dark I am recreating a older RPGm2k3 project i did years ago. i was pretty well versed in 2k3 but VX is a more advanced engine i just need someone who i can pick the brain of for any problems that may come up as well as a tester for the game as progress moves to the actual coding phase.

Now

What is Light and Dark?

For artwork, screen shots for the 2k3 and other things go here http://www.rpgmakervx.net/index.php?showtopic=37372

Story
It was supposed to be a grand experiment...

"Split man from his Ego and Id and see which of the 2 sides was better"
And so the world of Light and Dark was created, the world started as normal bathed in the normal cycle of day and night but as the people of light side, of the social impulses grew and evolved they hit a stumbling block, a species devoted to community prosperity and aiding of others races a point where technology need not grow. Thus the gods intervened to guide them...
on the other side Dark side, possessed of the Ego desire for only self gratification and immediate want pressed on, backstabbing as soon as a 'ally' was no longer needed to advance their desires. Greed, lust, envy, they took what they wanted but could never cross to light side. They evolved technologically on their own for their drive to be superior pushed them to take risks with science and find new way to expand their personal power....
The gods grew bored and tired of hold the hands of light side and thus let the barrier falter, now Dark invades light, rape pillage, and kill, and the light sides take it their community spirit unable to turn away even a invader.
Something needed to be done, thus the god implanted into the Lightsiders a Dark Seed, this touch of the Ego gave them the power to care for their own lives and fight back, but the conflict of nature caused DEGREDATION and prolonged combat by light sides leads to DEGENERATION, to spare the Light the gods again acted now when one falls to INSANITY they become a MONSTER.
Then one day a Darksider raped a Lightsider and was born a CHILD OF BALANCE appalled by the state of the world the GREY MAN seeks to remake the world in HIS image, in the image of BALLANCE, even if it mean destroying light and dark as we know it...
CAREN is but one of a army of heroes from light and dark opposing this enemy who seeks their destruction, a Elf Paladin Caren is a GUARDIAN the class of Lightsiders who do not seek INSANITY but expect in in a quest to defend their towns and world from the roving former guardians who became monsters and the Darkside invaders knowing full way each battle brings them closer to their own FALL.
But legends speak of item of power that can halt the DEGREDATION and of ways to evolve into insanity proof being but are these being any different them their malformed cousins...

There are several characters detailed here
http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Characters-WiP-181808484

With more detailed world notes here
http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Script-Pt1-181778836
http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Script-Pt2-182106712

Staff
Neko LLX: Designer, writer, coder, a little of everything.
TAOD12: Events

Additional material

Alpha 1.0
The alpha of the game cane be found here
There isn't much in it, a area to explore, a 8 man battle system but it does give a preview point
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=47T3B17H

Alpha 1.3
A playable demo of the first cutscene of the game. Caren's opening monologue and fight. After that you transition to where the 1.0 leaves of.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HT4GP6M2

Alpha 2.0
Has the full gods prologue, Caren prologue with 7th fight, auto levels, but no Love skill yet or balanced enemies or weapons
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AQHBHONH

Alpha 4.0
It's nor a permanent build as my tester/eventer TOAD12 is working on the live copy but it has new art assets added in
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P1ZO5K2S

Alpha 5.0
Several changes to the cut scenes in the beginning, addition of new equipment groups, and just lots of database updates.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=32Z52FY2

Alpha 6.0
This is the most robust build to date, Updates include:
Fully stated out enemies, weapons, armor, and classes.
Script library 90% complete (just need to streamline and debug a few)
Skills partially finished.
New town (Kingsford) added
A major update to the story; taking you out of the COtH and toward the first world boss.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZZY2YQA9

Art Index
I created a Photobucket with a collection of the Art Assets
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x202/NekoLLX/RPG%20Maker/Light%20and%20Dark%20VX/

and a screen shot

10-15-2010 update
Just a pic of the world map for those trying the alpha build since I've mad a number of updates to the world map.

Old concept art
Spoiler for:

Old RPG Maker 2k3 sprites
Spoiler for:

Some VX sprites
Spoiler for:

Some XP Sprites
Spoiler for:

Some VX Faces
Spoiler for:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 12:21:32 PM by nekollx »

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
I'm Grinding the Forums for EXP now, so I looked at this. Your Alpha 5 link address is weird
should be: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=32Z52FY2
I haven't checked the other beta links, but you should, because they didn't load for me. Anyway I'll check out the Alpha 5 right now. Edit inbound, just like the predator missile.

EDIT:

Well, your mapping is very plain. Especially the part where you run straight upward through 3 of the same maps to get to the fight, I almost turned off the game because I thought it was messed up. The combat was obviously easy since it was just a test and I had 8 ppl against 2 slimes, but I think 8 people is kind of overkill. But that's just based on my opinions on RPGs, other people may like the big party, but I don't. I'd much rather enjoy a smaller party with a lot of different party member choices to spruce up the player's customization of how they'd play and what not. There's nothing wrong with the story, in fact I like the whole, god and goddess thing you got going on. I'm going to put the game on Notify still so that I can try more of the demos, I think it can be very good if you put more effort into the small things that make a game great, like attention to detail.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:39:02 AM by hiromu656 »

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
Links seems to work fine for me, not sure what problem you had.

Well you have to keep in mind it's a "alpha" meaning pre beta. It's more for seeing the system and story, which ends after you arive in the temple, the 8 players is just a system for auto seting things for testing gear and skills.

The Alpha 6 build will have a tone of new skills, new sprites, some more revamps to the cut scenes, and a few more things.

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
Okay, that's good. Still watching out for this game. I tried Alpha 1, and 4 as well, there is substantial improvement in your alphas as they go along, which is good to see. Keep up the good work. ;8

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
You mixed up what the VX sprites are and XP sprites are. They're swapped. I'm also very confused as to why you're using 3 different types of sprites within the screenshot of your battle system. XP, VX and Mack XP.

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
You mixed up what the VX sprites are and XP sprites are. They're swapped. I'm also very confused as to why you're using 3 different types of sprites within the screenshot of your battle system. XP, VX and Mack XP.

no the sprites are valid, my "Xp sprites" won't load into VX by default but my "VX" sprites do.

The best way to look at the screen shot is again as a alpha build. Right now i have a artist i'm working with to make Mac/xp (basicly 2 tile high tall) sprites for everything, npcs, gods, monsters, actors. Until those are done i use placeolders so as to now slow down production

FYI made 90% of all weapons and armor and amm adding placeholders for every skill now to Build 6. Though i am having some trouble with the item stats actuall reflecting the stat monifications in the Battl Engin Melody stat engine. If anyone is versed in scripting i could use a hand.

Rep:
Level 73
I swear, Officer - she's over 18.
Battle Engine Melody? Sheesh, this game is already starting to sound good. I could never imagine using a Melody script in my games; so complicated...

Anyway, this looks like a cool game! You kinda took a noobish approach with the whole, "Alpha-stage" thing for your demos, but what sets you apart from other developers is that *worthwhile* updates are actually happening, and rather quickly, at that!

I also understand all of the placeholder stuff in the game, and will not penalize you at all for it. I understand that compiling resources may take a while, and that you wanted to showcase your game from an early stage, so all is forgiven.

Eight party members in a fight, though? I agree that it sounds a little overkill. Developing character balance, character niches, and enemy balance could be a little more difficult with eight party members. Plus, you'll want a lot of different equipables to keep things fresh and new. Just a heads-up.

Overall though, I can tell you're definitely putting the effort in! This is looking like a pretty decent project, so keep going with this! I can tell other people are getting excited about the game too. :)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I'll keep this one on the back burner for now, but worth noting the effort put in.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
Battle Engine Melody? Sheesh, this game is already starting to sound good. I could never imagine using a Melody script in my games; so complicated...

Anyway, this looks like a cool game! You kinda took a noobish approach with the whole, "Alpha-stage" thing for your demos, but what sets you apart from other developers is that *worthwhile* updates are actually happening, and rather quickly, at that!

I also understand all of the placeholder stuff in the game, and will not penalize you at all for it. I understand that compiling resources may take a while, and that you wanted to showcase your game from an early stage, so all is forgiven.

Eight party members in a fight, though? I agree that it sounds a little overkill. Developing character balance, character niches, and enemy balance could be a little more difficult with eight party members. Plus, you'll want a lot of different equipables to keep things fresh and new. Just a heads-up.

Overall though, I can tell you're definitely putting the effort in! This is looking like a pretty decent project, so keep going with this! I can tell other people are getting excited about the game too. :)

Well the main party is 7 players, with a ton of optional recruitables, though your own actions can permanently kill any number of main or bonus cast.

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\

no the sprites are valid, my "Xp sprites" won't load into VX by default but my "VX" sprites do.

You obviously misunderstand me.

This is a VX sprite.

This is an XP sprite.

I could care less how you edit or use them. They are what style they are, and you still have them incorrectly labeled.

At least you know what a 2k3/2k sprite looks like.

EXECUTED WEEBLING?
Rep:
Level 81
Im still here.. hahahahahaha

You obviously misunderstand me.

This is a VX sprite.

This is an XP sprite.

I could care less how you edit or use them. They are what style they are, and you still have them incorrectly labeled.

At least you know what a 2k3/2k sprite looks like.

grafikal i don't mean to intrude but wouldn't the xp spirit work in vx thus making it so both are VX because i know that the xp sprite would not work in xp only VX. The only way the xp sprite would work in xp is if you added another walking piece, But hey Just saying  ;D
Hey if you need anything just ask.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Shut. Up. harl.  XP is XP, VX is VX. Don't argue style with a fucking graphic art design graduate, you useless maggot.

*ahem* nekolix, I would pick one style or the other and stick with it. I really can't offer an opinion as to which I would use, but unless I'm missing something, all your characters should have a similar style.

:tinysmile:

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Shut. Up. harl.  XP is XP, VX is VX. Don't argue style with a fucking graphic art design graduate, you useless maggot.

*ahem* nekolix, I would pick one style or the other and stick with it. I really can't offer an opinion as to which I would use, but unless I'm missing something, all your characters should have a similar style.

lol

grafikal i don't mean to intrude but wouldn't the xp spirit work in vx thus making it so both are VX because i know that the xp sprite would not work in xp only VX. The only way the xp sprite would work in xp is if you added another walking piece, But hey Just saying  ;D

I know that you can use either XP styled sprites or VX styled sprites in either RPGMXP or RPGMVX, and I said that I don't care how he's using them. I said that each sprite has it's own style. A standard VX sprite is a chibi styled sprite. XP is not. They were labeled wrong.

Does nobody actually know how to read around here? IDK. I lose faith in so many new members immediately and this is why. This is probably a leading cause to new members getting flamed so hard and then rage quitting the forum.

Anyways, I changed it. It was bugging me.

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
Well as i explained it the "vx" sprites are designed to work in VX the probram i used for my "XP sprites" do not load in without modification.

Rep:
Level 73
I swear, Officer - she's over 18.

Well the main party is 7 players, with a ton of optional recruitables, though your own actions can permanently kill any number of main or bonus cast.

That is genius. I have no other words for this. I remember playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced, and having to go to those death areas where your units would die forever if they were killed in battle, and I loved the hell out of that sense of danger.

So, with that system, you could be at one point in the game with your seven members and a recruit, and end with only like, two or three people?

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
Yup, or beat the game with a cast of 30
or heck alienate some of the cast by making their Relationship nosedive, and some characters "die" when you complete their personal mission.

lots of options

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
Little Sneak Peek
Having some bugs with equipment stats not applying but that's no reason not to show off some of the stuff being worked on

EXECUTED WEEBLING?
Rep:
Level 81
Im still here.. hahahahahaha
Ok I understand and i apologize grafikal :). Oh and EvilM00s, Fuck you :).

More on topic, Good luck with the game bro :lol:
Hey if you need anything just ask.

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
A Update Emerges!

Update used Screenshot, it's Super Effective!

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Yeah links don't work for me either. not sure what the deal is but all the links after the RPGmakervx.net link are busted. could you take a look at those? maybe post them in a code tag so we can see what's wrong with them?

I'm Grinding the Forums for EXP now, so I looked at this.
Uh, What.
shut. up. harl.

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
Yeah links don't work for me either. not sure what the deal is but all the links after the RPGmakervx.net link are busted. could you take a look at those? maybe post them in a code tag so we can see what's wrong with them?

I'm Grinding the Forums for EXP now, so I looked at this.
Uh, What.
shut. up. harl.

Code: [Select]
http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Characters-WiP-181808484

With more detailed world notes here
http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Script-Pt1-181778836
http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Script-Pt2-182106712

Alpha 1.0
The alpha of the game cane be found here
There isn't much in it, a area to explore, a 8 man battle system but it does give a preview point
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=47T3B17H

Alpha 1.3
A playable demo of the first cutscene of the game. Caren's opening monologue and fight. After that you transition to where the 1.0 leaves of.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HT4GP6M2

Alpha 2.0
Has the full gods prologue, Caren prologue with 7th fight, auto levels, but no Love skill yet or balanced enemies or weapons
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AQHBHONH

Alpha 4.0
It's nor a permanent build as my tester/eventer TOAD12 is working on the live copy but it has new art assets added in
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P1ZO5K2S

Alpha 5.0
Several changes to the cut scenes in the beginning, addition of new equipment groups, and just lots of database updates.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=32Z52FY2

Art Index
I created a Photobucket with a collection of the Art Assets
http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x202/NekoLLX/RPG%20Maker/Light%20and%20Dark%20VX/

that work?

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
no no I meant how you syntaxed the url tags, not put the post in code tags

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
/quote their post and it'll show you how they did it in your message box

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
I have no idea why I didn't think of that. god that's stupid of me.

anyway here's your problem

[url=http://"http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Characters-WiP-181808484"]http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-an...s-WiP-181808484[/url]

should be

[url=http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Characters-WiP-181808484]http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-an...s-WiP-181808484[/url]

in fact you can just post urls as plain text and it will make them into links like you did with the RPGmakerVX.net link

the other issue is that your deviant art requires whoever is looking at it to be logged in as far as I can tell.
did deviant art change something or maybe it's a setting on your gallery?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:39:36 PM by Strike Reyhi »

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
I have no idea why I didn't think of that. god that's stupid of me.

anyway here's your problem

[url=http://"http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Characters-WiP-181808484"]http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-an...s-WiP-181808484[/url]

should be

[url=http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-and-Dark-Characters-WiP-181808484]http://nekollx.deviantart.com/art/Light-an...s-WiP-181808484[/url]

in fact you can just post urls as plain text and it will make them into links like you did with the RPGmakerVX.net link

the other issue is that your deviant art requires whoever is looking at it to be logged in as far as I can tell.
did deviant art change something or maybe it's a setting on your gallery?

might be DA i don't think i have any content warnings on the bios/script

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
it redirects for deviant art to https://www.deviantart.com/join/?from=mature&deviationid=181778836 I think that mature in there means it has a mature flag. weird.

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
try again i edited the 3 files to adjust their flags

i don't think a one line mention of the word sex really nesisitates the need for the tag i had originally.

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
A update has emerged!

I've finished getting all armor and weapons working and started adding new weapon classes, but there are already over 60 weapons per material type so i'm not in a hurry to add another 20 when there are other things to do.

Been working on on my skill list, still lots of work there as it's a lot of custom melody and it's just me and IceDragon.

Been setting up all the enemies as well, though kinda annoying i can't seem to set a automatic growth for tohit and evade. (actor or enemy side)

Also got some work on the story stuff.

Rep:
Level 74
RMRK Junior
A update has emerged

Alpha 6.0
This is the most robust build to date, Updates include:
Fully stated out enemies, weapons, armor, and classes.
Script library 90% complete (just need to streamline and debug a few)
Skills partially finished.
New town (Kingsford) added
A major update to the story; taking you out of the COtH and toward the first world boss.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZZY2YQA9