RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[XNA 3.1] Colorful

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween

Games are so violent nowadays, what with all of the guns and blood and explosions and nuclear bombs and alien takeovers.  It's hard to lose track of what is truly important: being happy.

In Colorful, being happy is all that matters.  Being happy is the core game mechanic, and you score higher by being happier.

"Tell me more!" you might say, "How can a mere abstract virtualization of our world represent and interpret the complex emotion that is happiness?"

Colorful puts you in the shoes of an every day bi-polar named Dave.  Dave is subject to violent mood swings, and has been prescribed mood-enhancing medication to maintain his ability to live in modern society.  Your goal is to keep Dave as happy as possible by picking up his pills before the time limit runs out.

Current Progress
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cAZ07RkM3c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cAZ07RkM3c</a>

Review Scores
4.4/5 - Mash Those Buttons

Check back frequently, I'm making rapid progress.

Rules of Play
  • Dave has 5 emotions in his spectrum: RAGE, Disgruntled, Bored, Happy, and HYPER
  • Each emotion is tied to a score multiplier: 50%, 75%, 100%, 150%, 200%
  • Each Pill is worth 100 points.
  • When the level timer runs out, your score for the level is multiplied based on Dave's ending emotional level, and then your final score level is added to your running total
  • Enemies known as Downers will make Dave unable to pick up pills for a couple seconds by making him as depressed as they are.
  • When picking up pills, be sure to not max out your Overdose meter, or the level will immediately end.
  • Spike pits will also immediately end the level
  • There are no lives and no game overs, you play through the levels at your own pace, and can repeat any to get higher scores.  The worst thing you can do is not score as high as you could have, either by ending the level prematurely, or by not timing your pill intake well.

Features
  • Programmed from the ground up by NAMKCOR with XNA 3.1 for PC
  • Simple gameplay formula that caters to casuals and hardcores alike
  • Original Soundtrack by Arrow-1
  • Easily modded: levels are interpreted from png images, making custom level design a breeze!

How can I help?
I don't want this game to be free, in fact, I'd like to sell it for a couple bucks on steam or on my own website if I can.  There's just one issue with that: I don't have a Visual Studio 2008 license, so Microsoft can kill me if I make profit off of the game.

That being said.

If you are feeling generous and would like to help me raise money toward purchasing a professional license for myself, I would be eternally grateful.  Donators will be eligible for a free copy of the game when it is released, as well as pre-release test participation should they be interested.

Does this mean there will be no free version?
There will be a 100% free demo version available, but the demo version will not support custom levels, and will not contain the full game's content.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:56:32 PM by NAMKCOR »

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 84
This text is way too personal.
Bronze - GIAW 11 (Hard)Silver - GIAW Halloween
When I first saw the concept I laughed, but it seems like an interesting stray-away from the long grinding games of today. Good luck with it Nam, I'll be sure to check in often.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
Thanks.  The game is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek so laughs are welcome :p

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
If you give that little guy a short beard, I would say he looks a lot like conan obrien. Mr.Dave.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I noticed that after drawing his first sprite, and decided it looked good enough to just keep going anyway

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Added the downer sprite, not much of an update but it's something.

Rep:
Level 73
I swear, Officer - she's over 18.
Awwwe, I love the look of this title! The sheer message of this game makes me smile: Shake off the shit, and just be happy! The general selling aim and moral of this game alone makes me want to play it right now.

The gameplay, though, seems a little loose for my own liking. No lives, no gameovers, no health; just score high? I dunno, I'm not one for those simplistic Arcade-style games, I suppose. Still, I'm playing this just for the custom level creator. THAT will be a hell of a time, since I love those tools in platformers.

Where do I donate? I've got some cash burning a hole in my pocket; just some leftover cash from Christmas. I can donate a few bucks.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
The game punishes you for overdosing and hitting spikes by ending the level early, essentially you get one 'life' per level, but it doesn't mean you don't get a score.  It will tally your accumulated score, and you'll get a penalty for 'dying', and it will ask you if you want to retry the level, or continue to the next one.  You can also go back and do the levels as many times as you want.

It's similar in formula to Super Meat Boy, the game is intended to encourage you to play by not making you feel bad for failing, but rather to keep giving you the chance to succeed.  It also means that you can skip a level that is frustrating you and go back to it later if you'd like.

Current Progress:
Downer spawn points have been programmed and I'm working on their AI right now, next to come will be spike logic and then I'll get to have some fun with particle effects.  I'm planning on coding a rainbow motion-trail to follow Dave when he's at peak happiness, among other things.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 05:51:39 PM by NAMKCOR »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Bumping.

Newly Added:
Rewrote Tile system to use a sheet instead of individual images
Added spike parsing
Added pill color changing
Added Downer AI

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
This looks awesome, NAM. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I'd donate if I... actually could...

Gods ain't gonna help ya son...

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Thanks.

For those who have Twitter, I just set up one for Temperance XIV.
Follow Temperance XIV on Twitter

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Nam you don't have like a visual studio express copy from like a class? or is there something in the terms that disallows professional uses if it's not a specific professional version?

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
This is looking fantastic Nam :3

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Nam you don't have like a visual studio express copy from like a class? or is there something in the terms that disallows professional uses if it's not a specific professional version?

I have VS 2008 Professional via the school, however it's licensed to the school, not me, creating a legal gray area regarding selling things that I don't want to test.  According to the EULA that I read, the licensee retains all rights to code produced.  Well...I'm not the licensee.

AFAIK Express Edition requires that I only sell open-source products.  I don't want to release my games open source.

Not only that but I'm going to want to continue making games with it outside of school and when I graduate I'm no longer allowed to use the school's licensed software.

Essentially buying my own copy would give me peace of mind knowing that I could sell whatever I make without any licensing or legal issues from the act of me doing so, and would work as an investment toward the future regarding further indie development.  That and I could totally write it off on my taxes.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 02:51:10 PM by NAMKCOR »

Rep:
Level 83
Look at me, runnin' and all
Project of the Month winner for August 2009
I'm SOOOO in love with your title at the top of the page. Really neat!

Also, everything sounds great and looks great. You could defenitely sell this on Steam or Xbox Live or something. Great job!

Maybe, just maybe, you could add some more colors in the background in the level shown in the vid? It's a bit achromatic right now.
  - 

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
The video is low quality, right now you see the wallpaper texture in the background.  It's vertical lines alternating shades.  The idea is, level colors change based on how difficult they are.  I'm going to be re-examining the textures after I get more of the core gameplay done.

As far as selling goes, I'm not doing XBL, but I am going to be trying to get it sold on Desura and Steam.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Big awesome news, Arrow-1 has signed on as Soundtrack Producer for Colorful.
The Full 11 song soundtrack will be available for pre-order copies only, and will likely be released on the iTunes store later on.

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
Happy to have come aboard. ;D

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
UPDATE WITH LATEST PROGRESS
Title Screen Implemented
Stage Select Implemented
Custom Content Loader Implemented
Now with 95% more sound!
project upgraded to XNA 3.1

Resource Artist
Rep:
Level 94
\\\\\
Project of the Month winner for June 2009
Have an approximate time on when this may be completed?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Have an approximate time on when this may be completed?

Mid to Late March release.

I intend to open it up for early pre-order a week and a half or so before actual release, and anyone who pre-orders or donates gets the benefits enumerated here.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
What's that?
More progress?

Overdose - functional
Spikes - functional
Level Unlock - functional
Score System - functional

First beta to begin soon for donators.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Hey dudes and dudettes, first beta is set to begin Monday February 7th.  The beta
version will contain a couple of test levels, and the game is nearly feature complete. 

Donate at least $5 to recieve all pre-order benefits including early beta access.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Beta testing is currently underway, blue levels should be done by tomorrow at the latest.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Colorful Public Beta (a.k.a. NAMKCOR's Quest for some Goddamned Feedback) has begun: http://www.indiedb.com/games/colorful

Rep:
Level 75
Crisis Core
Sounds good, I think your game is cool... ^-^ Thanks for inspirations. :)

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
inspirations?

Rep:
Level 75
Crisis Core
Sorry, but I'm not great in English, but thanks for ideas to my game... :P When I saw your video, I want to create level menu in my game... :P

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
You don't have to specify in the header that its an "indie game". That sort of sounds lame. It would be better if it just said, "Try NAMKCOR's Colorful".

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Roph did it, not me.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I didn't know who did it.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
That's why I was making it known.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)2013 Best IRC ChatterboxParticipant - GIAW 112012 Best IRC Chatterbox2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Funniest Member2012 Most Successful TrollSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll
Yeah, I think it's extremely lame too.

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Contestant - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
Wow. I started reading this thread and thought "What is this? some trippy-ass indie game?" but now I'm thinking "I like Dave. I wish for him to be eternally happy."

One thing though, "Colorful" is spelt wrong. It should be "Colourful". I don't know whether that was intentional or not, like "de Blob" and its offense to grammar nazis, but I'm assuming it was un-intentional?

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Colour is the original British spelling, Color is the American spelling.
bringing sexy back

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Uh, it's spelled right. See here.

Anyways... I'm lovin' this. :3

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
OP updated with a video of myself playing level 40 with a sneak preview of the orange stage theme ;o

Raped by DrSword
Rep:
Level 83
Dance with the enemy
Contestant - GIAW 10Contestant - GIAW 9
I'm not used to US spellings... don't get me started, I'll get banned ._.

Anywho, game is looking fantastic.
Good luck on it Nam ;D

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
XNA games usually go on Xbox Live Arcade.. you'd be a god. (the indie kind) And this indeed looks worthy.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
XNA games go on the Xbox Live Arcade if they are made for the 360.
This game is not.

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
Indie game? I'm in :p

No but seriously this looks perfect. Good luck :)

Rep:
Level 76
Praise the Sun (Arcana)
GIAW 14: 1st Place (Hard Mode)
You just blew my mind.

Rep:
Level 73
Collapse.
uhm can I ask what a Visual Studio 2008 license is?
google isn't helping much...

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is the software I use to make games.
I technically own it through school, so it's not licensed to me, but my school.

I need to get my own licensed copy.

Rep:
Level 73
Collapse.
Oh ok, kind of makes sense now.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I'm going to have to donate invisible money and just wish you lots of luck <3

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
I has a question: Is level 30 supposed to be impossible?

RAGE QUIT!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I has a question: Is level 30 supposed to be impossible?

RAGE QUIT!

No, that's a design oversight from when I tightened collision detection, it's going to be fixed in the update this weekend.

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I like it, the music is nice.

My criticisms would be,

When you collect the last pill, it goes straight to the Level complete, not having to hang around for the timer.
I don't think the detail you have put into the sprite works well with the simple level design/world

and i don't really like the fact overdosing kills you, its more a pain when the game is centered around collecting the pills, maybe if you collect too much you get some weird control scheme instead? I dunno i just think the Overdose kills the flow.

Theres also something about the controls when jumping, feels off, though i don't know why.

Rep:
Level 74
I'm baaack!
This is like one of those flash-games you can't stop playing until it gets inpossible for someone of the player's skill level or until the player has to stop playing! Good job!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
When you collect the last pill, it goes straight to the Level complete, not having to hang around for the timer.

That will not change.  In this game, time is a resource you have to manage, not a limit you have to beat.  Mismanagement causes you to be complete and sit around.

I don't think the detail you have put into the sprite works well with the simple level design/world

I disagree.

and i don't really like the fact overdosing kills you, its more a pain when the game is centered around collecting the pills, maybe if you collect too much you get some weird control scheme instead? I dunno i just think the Overdose kills the flow.

If you collect the pills too quickly, you overdose and the level ends.  If all it did was change the controls, then it wouldn't be a fitting penalty for mismanaging your dosage.  Changing overdosing would be like making spikes not kill you for jumping into them.

Theres also something about the controls when jumping, feels off, though i don't know why.

The controls are calibrated so that you can make more precise movements without having to guess how far you are jumping or how high you are jumping.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
I've been playing some more of this, and I just need to say: god damn can it get hard sometimes ._.

Sometimes when you're about to go back to normal but you need to make a bigger jump and you miss and you know you can't try again and ;o; chjeio ragequit ;_;

I'll keep trying ._.
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 85
I am the wood of my broom
2010 Project of the YearProject of the Month winner for January 2009Project of the Month winner for January 2010Project of the Month winner for April 2010
Nam, why won't you try posting this in Kickstarter.com? :D
You might get some support for funding there to buy a 2008 license.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I'm kinda wary of sites like that, they seem like scams to me.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
COLORFUL is not dead

I will be updating the game to be a bit more professional, and releasing a new version of the game's demo.  Then, I am going to submit it to Valve for review. @_@
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:44:40 PM by NAMKCOR »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
This just in, Colorful's release date has been announced.

Colorful will be available for purchase on Desura: November 1st, 2011.
Steam release date (or at all) forthcoming.

Rep:
Level 86
Chasing to create tomorrow's experience
Nice work Etna!

great to see you pulled it off !
As you can see dedicated passion goes a long way.
It's motivating :)
Sagramore (MMORPG) - Game Designer

http://www.sagramore.com

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Namkcor...

Please tell me that those little pills in the background scroll.

Because that would look so damn cool.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Namkcor...

They do :)

There is a demo available at IndieDB - Colorful for those interested in trying out the first 40 levels, and the tutorials.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Namkcor...

They do :)

Downloading.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Colorful is now available for Pre-Order on Desura!
Follow the link below and I get more of a cut from the sale for referring you :X

« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 06:31:45 AM by Etna »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Orange Preview!
LINK

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Most Missed Member2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Great stuff, as always, NAM. Really looking forward to this.
Out of random curiosity, how long does it take to make one level?
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
It depends on of I've got an idea or not.

MY SON ALWAYS DREAMED OF A LIFE AT SEA!
Rep:
Level 74
Lol Irocks a troll.
Would you be interested in a trailer for your game?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
If you purchase a copy of the game, by all means you can make a trailer of it.

Rep:
Level 74
Lol Irocks a troll.
Well I was thinking of more of an advertisement in benefit of yourself.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I stand by my previous statement.

Rep:
Level 74
Lol Irocks a troll.
If I decide to purchase the game I will then make a trailer. Thanks for sociating with me.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Colorful will be Gold Master tomorrow.  I will update the Demo Monday, and try to work with Desura for release Tuesday.  Hopefully it all goes as planned.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Colorful will not be available for purchase via Steam.
According to the Valve rep I received an email from, Steam is "not a good fit" and it's "company policy not to provide specific feedback on a submission."

So it'll be exclusively released on Desura.

Colorful Release Trailer

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cAZ07RkM3c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cAZ07RkM3c</a>
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:47:40 PM by iHipster »

Rep:
Level 93
<o>_<o>
2014 Funniest MemberParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)
That's a huge bummer. I don't understand why Steam wouldn't allow it; what exactly are they risking if they take the game on?

Either way, I'm getting Desura and buying the game. Because I want to play it, and because you deserve it.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I don't know either.
I think it's because it's a mildly offensive concept, and I'm a nobody developer.

Thanks for your support, I'm working with Desura to try and get it released, though their verification process is slowing down the full version.

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
2013 Best RPG Maker User (Creativity)Randomizer - GIAW 11Gold - GIAW 11 (Hard)Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2012 Best RPG Maker User (Mapping)2012 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantGold - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for September 2008For taking a crack at the RMRK Wiki2011 Best RPG Maker User (Programming)2011 Best Veteran2011 Kindest Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Events)2010 Best RPG Maker User (Story)
Congrats on the official release!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Colorful is now available for play!

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
Colorful has received its first review!

Mash Those Buttons awards Colorful with a 4.4 out of 5!

Furry Philosopher
Rep:
Level 94
Rawr?
That sounds awesome. :3

Any other review sites in mind to promote your game on?

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
I'm trying.