RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Metal Gear Solid 2

Rep:
Level 96
2011 Most Missed Member2010 Zero To Hero
As much as I hated Raiden at first (and as lame as the big shell was, and Fortune) I think that currently, MGS2 might have had my favorite exposition of the games right now. (I haven't played 4, I don't have access to a PS3)

In a lot of the reviews I've seen for this game, people tend to say that too much exposition was crammed into the end. I disagree. I think that if you, instead of trying to take the waves of information as a single chunk, connect the dots all the way back to the beginning of the game, can see that everything being 'revealed' was really obvious all along. As a good story should be. In addition to this, I really, really liked how fucking weird the game got then too. The beginning and ending of the game were most certainly my favorite parts.

All of that, and then excellent music. Those were some intense damn bongos.

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days. What were you in your former life?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:01:49 AM by Arrow »

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
I like MGS3 the most because of how orchestrated the plot was with the Boss. It not only revealed everything in the game bit by bit but everything in the -future- as well, all up until the dissolution of FOXHOUND.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 96
I completely agree with your reasoning. A big part of why I'm putting MGS2 ahead right now is probably because I played MGS3 quite some time before and I've seen the whole thing through twice now.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
I don't see why everyone hates on Raiden so much. Yeah, he's a little more effeminate than Snake, and he doesn't have that whole war-hardened soldier vibe, but all things considered, I think he handled all the craziness remarkably well. I mean, he went through nearly twice the stuff Snake did, all while having his girlfriend nag him every step of the way.

MGS3 was good, but it just didn't stick with me like 2 did for some reason. I didn't really feel connected to the codec/radio contacts at all. In the other games, I usually had a few people that I enjoyed calling once in a while just to see what they'd say. Zero and Sigint were boring, and Paramedic was only interesting during her save convo's. EVA was also pretty uninteresting imo. I did like that the bosses seemed to be fleshed out more, and it was interesting to see how everything happened to cause all the stuff in the future.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member2010 Best Writer
Raiden was actually a good character, especially because it was starting to build up to his mental degradation as a child soldier. Kojima said after plotting MGS2 he wrote in bits and pieces of Raiden's history more to exemplify a possible future breakdown, ala MGS4 and Rising. I didn't really feel connected to MGS3's codec calls, it was really the cutscene driven plot more. The Boss is my favorite character and i've never found a scene more moving than the final battle and conversation in Life's End.

Rep:
Level 75
I don't see why everyone hates on Raiden so much.
Because he's not the cool character you'd identify with.
I think players forgive many things to a character, except (relative) unmanliness.

Rep:
Level 96
What bothered me about Raiden was Rose. Even in the ending I thought that whole relationship display was entirely trite. The codec conversations were literally the first time I held down the triangle button on purpose.

Raiden himself? I thought he was goofy at first. I got over that. Dislike him? eh, it's more like he was a font for the player, to me, for most of his early game. Yeah, he's talkin, but he takes on an empty, soulless role.

BUT THEN THAT WAS THE POINT AFTER ALL, WASN'T IT?

That's what makes him sorta cool. I'm not about to put him beside snake as an equal, but hey, as a support character he's real fuckin' neato.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Raiden was integral to the plot of MGS2. It was mandatory that you not play from Snake's point of view.

Rep:
Level 96
Oh I know that. In MGS2, him being the main guy, that is allllll good. I support that and I'm happy it was done that way.

But I don't really care to see him in another role like that unless they split the plot open again like they did in mgs2.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
2014 Best RPG Maker User - GraphicsFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2013 Most Unsung MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.a^2 + b^2 = c^2How can I help you? :DSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 9Bronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Speaking of playing as Snake in MGS2, did anyone play that bonus mission with the giant sea monster? That was freaking weird, even for Metal Gear.

Rep:
Level 96
I'm sorry, WHAT?

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
Yeah, the Snake Tales were cool. Pretty hard, though.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
I'm sorry, WHAT?

It's a non-canonical side-mission thing in Substance. Otacon and Mei Ling get Snake to go take pictures of a sea monster on the Big Shell. Everything just gets progressively more bizarre. I never got past the last part because the guards kept boxing me in, but apparently Mei Ling reveals she's Solidus's wife.

Rep:
Level 96
Damn it, see, I knew I should have pestered gamestop about the special edition discs. I got the SE version of 2 and 3, but I only got one disc for each! TWICE for three, because I bought it for my uncle!

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
you know goddamn well raiden would not get as much hate as he does if he didn't have such a faggy ass haircut.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
Heeeeeeey, I liked his hair.  :tpg:

I'm really excited about rising. It looks like it's going to be pretty cool.

Rep:
Level 96
I still haven't gotten a good look at peace walker. Was that any good? I really miss owning a fucking psp.

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
I've never owned a psp unfortunately. :[
I've seen a few videos on youtube, and it looks decent. I've had the ending spoiled for me already in the process though.
Paz has a catchy J-pop tune for a themesong. Homoeroticism is rampant. Giant robot-things. Confusing plot. It's a Metal Gear game all around. :V

Rep:
Level 98
Apparently Peace Walker is REALLY GOOD.

It bridges the gap from The Patriots to Militaries Sans Frontieres, which is what my avatar currently is.

Rep:
Level 96
I KNEW it. I really want to play it now.

Rep:
Level 94
Peace Walker would be great if it was on a console. Unfortunately, the PSP's controls suck ass. I hate that stupid nub.

Rep:
Level 96
Me too. Y-y'know, when I actually had a psp... I MISS MAVERICK HUNTER X BAWWWWW

A-pow 2015
Rep:
Level 81
I hope they port it or something. I really want to play it. :tpg:

Rep:
Level 96
Shit me too. PS2 port ploz :V

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Without a shadow of a doubt, the box was the strongest of all characters in any metal gear solid game.

Such silent heroism should be commended!

Rep:
Level 96
*pat pat*

That'll do, box. That'll do.

Rep:
Level 74
I greatly disliked this game. I was not portrayed to any remote degree of accuracy! Metal Gear Solid 2 is a slanderous piece of trash!
It is absolutely imperative that you read this post in my voice!

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Don't worry about it. That was the point. In MGS 2 you were actually an AI housed in Arsenal Gear. As far as I remember anyway.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I'll weigh in. The entire franchise was incredible, IMO, but if I was forced to choose a fave it has got to be the original. FOXHHOUND is a cool unit, even if the characters in it were slightly nuts- but I guess that's what made them so cool. It was also the first game I'd ever played that worked like it did, and I actually got nervous several times while playing. Almost equal footing with 2, but Raiden was... well, not easy to relate to. 3 was cool because of the thick-ass plot , and I enjoyed the survival aspects, but I thought some of the characters, like Volgin, were over the top. Choosing a favorite is like choosing a favorite child, but there it is.
:tinysmile: