RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
What are the benefits of...

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
... multiple hard drives ?_?

I want to record while I play games (Fraps), but it drops my FPS like crazy (from 60 to, like, 15). I heard getting a second harddrive would help solve this, y/n? Even if it doesn't (but also if it does), what are the benefits of multiple hard drives? Disadvantages?

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Standard_levels

Good read. Dunno if it would increase your FPS when recording, but I wouldn't imagine so. Roph will probably be able to tell you.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Yes. When FRAPS records to my internal hard drive, my FPS can be pretty bad, but when it records to my external, it's good.

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2014 Best Non-RM Creator2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
The benefits of a second hard drive would be more storage space, being able to back up important files in case one fails, and selecting a hard drive for FRAPS that isn't actively being used by the operating system and game you're playing.

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Fraps files are HUGE, and if you fraps even a little, you'll be constantly saving / deleting huge files, which will fragment the shit out of your drive.

I only save fraps videos to my second hard drive for this reason.

Also your FPS will drop anyway, since capturing and lightly compressing every frame takes significant resources, especially at higher resolutions.
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Oh crap that reminds me: I need to defragment my harddrive.

So, second hard drive for this purpose sounds good?

And does my computer have to have RAID? From what I can read, it seems like using RAID makes the harddrives interdependent which I'm not sure if that's exactly what I'm trying to do since I want to dedicate all the recording to one harddrive rather than make them work together. Does that even make sense ?_?

And does RAID require a reformat of my drives?

And yeah, I don't have any experience with multiple hard drives considering I just recently built my own computer so... yehh....

And yeah, higher resolutions. >_> At 1920x1200, FRAPS takes a lot. But even at the lower resolutions, too :\

Rep:
Level 102
You don't want to set up a RAID array for your purpose. Just buy a hard drive, set it up and set it to the recording location for fraps and you're good to go.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
When recording audio for a session, we never record to the C drive. Why? In short, because that's where the OS is. It's a resource thing.

So yeah, what Irock said.

That being said, you don't really need a second hard drive unless you're doing intensive stuff like recording raw audio and video, because those things take up a lot of space and resources.

Another example: our school has some gigantic VST sound libraries (if you don't know what those are, they're essentially soundfonts, just bigger, better, and ... BIGGER). These things can be over 100 Gigs total, 100 Gigs of samples of violins playing each individual 7 different ways. Anyway, we keep these either on a second hard drive, or an external hard drive. The reason is very similar to the situation above; loading and playing these sound libraries takes a lot of resources, and if you're loading them from the same place your OS and all your audio programs are, that means there's less "computing power" (so to speak) to devote to playing those gigantic samples. So in this case, using a second drive is highly recommended.

I'm not 100% sure, any maybe Roph knows exactly why, but I assume it's because the disc's laser is going back and forth reading information specific to the OS, the audio program, AND the samples. If it's on two separate discs, the workload is lessened, and information is read faster.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:49:14 AM by arlen »

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
asdf now I wish I had the second hard drive before so all my games could be installed onto the non-C drive and put all my other programs on the regular C drive D8

Oh well~ Hopefully, I'll be getting a new hard drive early next year P:

Thanks for all the information/help! !_!

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Bump: Would things still be good if I put all my games on the new harddrive while keeping Fraps on my old one? I feel like having a harddrive just for the games would make the performance for it better and not get affected by Alt-tabbing or whatnot? Just a question.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Buuuuuuuuuuuump ;-; Would you guys recommend having my games run from my new hard drive and use FRAPS on my old one or run games from the same hard drive the OS is on and FRAPS on the new one? I kind of want to know which the better choice would be so I know how big of a hard drive to get...

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Mostly irrelevant nowadays. Any modern hard drive will give you over 100MB/s.
bringing sexy back

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Alright, thanks, Rophhh

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Okay, bump; I received the harddrive, but I didn't expect no cables to come with it. ._. And there are no more SATA cables that came with everything when I got my first computer parts. So, I'm looking around, and I was just wondering if this was a two-in-one kind of thing and would suit my purposes:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226004

I'm thinking a "yes," but I want to know for sure before I order it.