RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Help? How can I tell if my computer can use these parts?

Rep:
Level 87
Heyo everybody,

The only experience I have when it comes to modifying a computer is changing hard drives. I've had this computer for several years now and I believe it's time for an upgrade... Problem is, I don't know if my computer can use the parts I've selected for upgrades. I'm completely computer illiterate. >_< I'm wanting to update my video/graphics card, and most likely my power supply.

Current Specs
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8400
Power Supply: 330W [Is all I know]

Desired Specs
Graphics Card: GeForce GTS 450
Power Supply: 650W

Can someone tell me how I can tell if I can upgrade with these new parts? It'd be very much appreciated.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I'm not really savvy on this stuff either, but I would start by making sure your computer has the correct slot for the VPU- you know, PCI, AGP or PCIe and all that. Other than that, I rely on the more knowledgable members here, or call Tiger Direct for guidance. Here is a link for the VPU on Tiger Direct, maybe they can help you more.
:tinysmile:

Resident Cloud
Rep:
Level 91
your pc has a power supply rating in Ws, its usually written on the back near where the power cord goes in

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Most Unsung Member2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
Almost all 8400GS cards were PCI-Express (look at the 2 longest slots). They did however make a few AGP ones (brown).

If you want to run a GTS 450, you're going to need to upgrade your power supply. You don't need one that expensive anyway. I'd recommend you get This 500W one instead. Just going of watts is a bad idea, but CM power supplies are fine.

Since you're not buying high end graphics either I'd recommend you go with ATI instead of nvidia. They have wildly better price/performance and dollar/performance ratios. To go with that new power supply I'd recommend you take some of the $40 you saved on that PSU and add $10 (to the average cost of a 450) to get a Radeon 5770. It will outperform the GTS 450 while at the same time using less power.

If you have an AGP slot I wouldn't bother; instead start saving for a new system. Also since you said it's a few years old, your CPU is probably sorta weak, so in many games / programs, you could be limited by that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:52:55 AM by Roph »
bringing sexy back

Rep:
Level 76
~I am your worst nightmare~
2010 Most Immature Member
ok, first uninstall old video driver, then shut down, take side off tower, take old vcard out of pci-e slot and put new vcard in it plug in the monitor into it, turn on pc, and install new vcard driver, if its onboard vcard do this...

turn on Pc
Press f1 at bios go into setup
go to where you change your pci and change it to pci-e
shut off pc
take off cover on tower
put new vcard in pci-e slot
plug monitor cord in new vcard
turn on pc
install new vcard software

enjoy...
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
If you're going to spend that kind of money, you may want to consider waiting untill you can get a new system anyway. You can buy most of the parts for a decdnt system for around $300, and a good VPU for an additional $50-75 if you know where to shop. These kits do require assembly, however, and although ot isn't tough to do, it's a bit heavy if you've never done it before. It may be a good alternative.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 76
~I am your worst nightmare~
2010 Most Immature Member
I can PM a site to you to where you can get some parts very cheap ;b, or if I have permission to put the site here?
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)