RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Ipod or Zune

Rep:
Level 83
I am thinking about buying a new mp3 player. And I am not going to be buying a generic one. So I decided I was going to get either an Ipod or a Zune.
I will listen to music on it daily, possibly for extended periods of time without being able to charge it; videos semi-regularly; and apps.. it depends really.
So what do you think would be best for me? And have you used it?
I am sort of leaning towards the Zune, but I would like your opinions.

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Funniest Member
Zune. Mine lasts all day and the software isn't invasive. That plus the MUCH better UI = worth it.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
What are you looking at? Zune HD, iPod Touch? A regular Zune and iPod Classic/Nano?

Rep:
Level 84
Zune HD all the way! Mine works perfectly. I listen to music every day and my battery lasts several days. Zune software is much easier to use than iTunes and works better. The only problem is that I'm going to be upgrading to a mac soon, so I'll have to figure out an easier way to work that. But I'd say Zune HD (32GB for the same price as an 8GB iPod touch).

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
Both the iPod Touch and the Zune HD are fine devices. It comes down to what you want out of your device and which one you prefer. I prefer the iPod Touch when it comes to nearly everything, but instead of saying "GET THE IPOD TOUCH!!!!" I'm going to give you some facts and then recommend that you try the devices yourself.

Keep in mind, I haven't used a Zune HD in a while, and I use my iPod Touch daily.

Advantages of the iPod Touch
40 hour battery for audio claimed-- 7 more than Zune HD

The iPod Touch actually has external volume controls, on both the device and the earbuds.

Bluetooth headphone support.

The touch's interface is a bit more consistent, straight forward, easy to understand and functional. It's not going to wow your friends, but it works great.

The iPod has iTunes for purchasing assloads of music, downloading podcasts, and accessing other media.

iPod Touch has the MASSIVE market dominating app store for access to more applications and games than you'll ever need.

The iPod Touch actually has an email application, among other apps.

MUCH faster web browser. (Mobile IE *snicker*)

Renders web pages faster when scrolling and zooming.

Larger display with MUCH higher, jaw dropping resolution. (iPod: 640 × 960 px (326 ppi) 3.5 in - Zune: 272 x 480 px (167 ppi) 3.3 in -
COMPARISON: iPod Touch - Zune HD

Thin (iPod: 0.28 in - Zune: 0.4 in)

You can actually have multiple pages/tabs open in the web browser. Not sure if Microsoft ever added them, but I can't find anything on the Zune HD's browser ever getting them.

Every time you leave the web browser in Zune then come back to it, it has to reload the page you were on. The iPod Touch keeps the web page in memory.

Applications open and close much faster on the iPod Touch.

Wider (in portrait) display, which makes a HUGE difference when browsing the web or using applications. You can notice this most when zooming into parts of web pages, as text is larger and more readable due to the space it has.

Multi-tasking.

Front facing camera for recording and video chat

Rear facing camera for 720p video recording and video chat

You can even edit the video you record on it then upload

Screen orientation lock

Advantages of the Zune
8.5 hours of video claimed-- 1.5 more than iPod Touch

OLED Screen.

I think it has a bit better audio quality.

HD output for watching 720p movies on your TV.

MS offers a deal where you can download an unlimited amount of songs for $15 a month and keep 10 at the end of the month.

FM/HD Radio.

Pin your favorite songs/artists/albums/playlists to the main menu
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 06:56:43 PM by Irock »

Rep:
Level 83
What are you looking at? Zune HD, iPod Touch? A regular Zune and iPod Classic/Nano?
Doesn't matter really. I just want one of the best.

But thanks for the comparison.

And thank you everyone else :)

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I've had an original iPod since they came out... never needed to send it for repairs, never had a problem with it. I friggin love it, specially since I got a custom skin for it...

But yeah, get an iPod Classic. Don't use the shitty headphones they come with though...