RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[RM2k3] Custom Gameover?

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
I was the first Corlen.
Is there any way to bypass the game over screen entirely and create your own in RPG Maker 2003?  I tried using the random encouter death handler in the batte layout tab but this only works for random battles and not if the character is damaged and dies on the map screen.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 01:14:13 PM by corlenbelspar »

Rep:
Level 83
If this is what you mean, you can create your own game over screen. The one in RM2K3 is default, go to resource manger, and go into game over and enter your picture.

I was the first Corlen.
I was thinking more making a map that is the game over screen where the player can pick continue or end.

Rep:
Level 83
Well, I think this MIGHT work. When your character is fighting a enemy, choose enemy encounter, then choose execute custom handler instead of game over, if your character loses. If he loses, transfer him into a different map and have a event ready saying if he wants to continue or give up.

Hope this works, and I'm going to try it out as well :D

I was the first Corlen.
It works only for random encounters (the battle layout tab one) or event encouters and not such as if the player is damaged from poisoning or a simulated enemy attack on the map.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 12:33:00 PM by corlenbelspar »

Rep:
Level 83
I get where you're coming from. It will work for random encounters (you can call common event) and event encounters, but it won't work if you die from poisoning, while you are still on the map? I can't think of a way around it, but maybe you could give the player antidotes and such.

Maybe even a warning. And a question, if they did get the option to start or give up, if they chose start, where would they end up? Their last save point or just before they died?

I was the first Corlen.
I sort of found a work around for it and I was going to have the game store the player's map coordinates in variables on the world map before they entered a dungeon/town/whatever to be called upon if they pick continue and all the monsters would be reset in case they forgot to save or something they can just restart back at the dungeon entrance with a penalty.

Rep:
Level 83
Right. So what are you going to do about the continue/game over thing, since it works over 95 percent of the time.

I was the first Corlen.
I'll just trick out the poisoning to not kill you on the map and make the simulated attack hit a PC that is never available to the party and store the damage in a variable and if it's more than the party's HP then they get killed and it calls the custom game over screen.

I was the first Corlen.
It's sort of a pain and I was hoping there was a magic custom game over setting in the database but what I did works.