RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Limited Cursor-to-Location Movement..

Rep:
Level 83
Sorry about the vague title, it was a bit hard to sum up the question..

Anyway, would anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction on this one?

I'm trying to create a non-standard world-map system, wherein rather than walking around, the player moves a cursor from one location to another...

Now, this is just a prototype mind, thus low quality.
Butterfly=Cursor
Envelopes=Locations.

What I would like to do, is make it so that rather than, when the player presses a direction key, the cursor moves one tile in the given direction, it instead executes a number of actions.

1: Check for Locations within movement range (distance from one location to another defined in Steps, check for Locations can be reached with remaining Steps)
2: Sweep Cursor to nearest accessible Location in given direction
3: Display Location name
4a: If new direction, then back to 1, remembering Step costs are from actual Location of Player, not present location of cursor.
4b: If key is pressed, request confirmation
5: If confirmed, check for random encounter.
6a: If an encounter comes up, deduct travel cost from Steps then go to map referred to by given variable.
6b: If no encounter comes up, deduct travel cost from Steps then go to selected Location.

Bonus points if a dotted line can be displayed between origin point, locations en route, and destination selected.

...Wow that turned out more complex than I intended -.-   Sorry, I couldn't find anything relevant through forum searching, so..

Well, thanks in advance.

Also, failing that I can probably use pixel-movement and a distance check on location selection, which would be much easier to set up, but I suspect that would be much, much less user-friendly.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 10:46:21 PM by Fensfield »

Rep: +0/-0Level 72
Not-so-Noob
it seems to me that you made this all to complicated. this would be much easier if you used no scripts, this is possible. just use event commands to change the graphic of your character to 'butterfly', then add locations usind text, choices, and 'transfer player' options. this is easy to do, and very user friendly! even a 4 year old could switch locations! by the way, don't use encounters or else the settings will get messed up  :police:

Rep:
Level 83
Thanks for the reply!

I ended up going for something similar, though I'm afraid your suggestion wouldn't work.. or at least would raise a whole new set of questions anyway, since the locations available vary by where the player currently is and would therefore require some sort of conditional list controlling the contents of the destinations list.  In the end I used a series of location based teleport events as suggested by a friend, it's working nicely.  .. Now I just need to make the rest of the game >.>;

Oh, and, by encounters I didn't mean through the map's automated encounters, I meant having the event check to see if you encounter something every time you move (say, random number, if > then yes, if < then no, or something), then call on a relevant scripted encounter (map/setof events/etc) if so.

But yes, in the end, the answer was simpler than the proposal above.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:00:59 AM by Fensfield »