RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
RMK2K3 help needed

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
RPG MAKER in Training!
hey all, my first post, and I just have a quick set of questions! I am attempting to remake an old NES favorite of mine with RMK2003 (try and improve graphics and such) and then expand upon it
I need suggestions on how to implement the two following systems (will show ex. from game im trying to remake)
now this was a quite early game was on the original NES so RPG Maker 2K3 has to be well capable of handling it. Sure some people hated this game but I always enjoyed the strategy aspect of it and the fact it had Godzilla chars in it just made it better. I think with a little more variance in the monsters/system and an actual storyline this game could be enjoyable to others.

Making several main character units (but not heroes that will lvl) to battle with that are assigned at bases randomly at beginning of match and cost a certain amount of turns to build sometimes http://www.youtube.com/user/cecilthepaladin#p/u/293/yH44GLtWNHA and this is the mission after the last link http://www.youtube.com/user/cecilthepaladin#p/u/289/phnpu1S_miQ (only need to watch beginning for most part)

And making a battle system that is similar to this http://www.youtube.com/user/cecilthepaladin#p/u/292/vzjIDE04Bl0 the side battle is basic still but their are three different attack areas (life, defense, and Movement Points) and each have a specific attack assigned. The nice thing is that you do not need to worry about the skills changing with levels or anything because the characters are more "units" rather then "Heroes"

Im sure their are a few on this forum who still work with the program and it has been around long enough to where id assume I could be directed to tutorials showing me how to establish the following system.
Thanks all -Kyotita

Edit: realized what MP stood for *snicker*!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:25:12 PM by Kyotita »

Rep: +0/-0Level 76
I was the first Corlen.
I'm sure it's quite possible to pull off but it's going to take a lot of knowledge of eventing and a lot of time and effort.  In battle you could use pictures for the combatants and their projectiles and such and battle animations for when the projectiles or whatever collide.  I would make you a small tutorial but there's the problem that I don't have it worked out in my head quite yet on how to pull it off and the other problem that I'm not good at commenting my work where others can understand it.

Perhaps if you provided me with the resources such as graphics and whatnot I could attempt to make you a small demo anyway?

RPG MAKER in Training!
the graphics I do have at the moment were taken directly from that game. A few of the sprites themselves however are in pieces and the colors aren't as final as in game but overall work so I will upload a few of them
The sprite ripper I use doesn't rip the colors but has a few palettes so I have done my best to give the spri exites some color in the program (some monsters are similarly colored while others have been modified to be more like the real monsters colors and others still will be modified further if I learn that what I want to do is possible).

the world map of the game is so basic that I am going to be using RPG Maker 2K3's base tools to make the land again :P

in case any curiosity exists on certain aspects of the game here is a website to check for a little more info
http://www.tohokingdom.com/web_pages/godzilla_vg_stuff/godzilla2.htm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 07:12:59 PM by Kyotita »

I was the first Corlen.
OK this will be a simple demo with only a few troops on each side and a small map but I will see what I can do.

I was the first Corlen.
Here is an update.  I have the player's and computer's movements coded.  However the computer's path finding is sort of lame and I don't know much about doing path finding in RPG Maker 2003 so you'll either have to figure it out or have someone else figure it out or make your maps not have very much complexity in terms of obstacles.  When there is an obstacle directly in their way, they move a random tile.

The combat itself I still have to put in.

There is not any commenting because like I said, I'm bad at commenting my work.

Also I did not do the base unit supplying code but this can be easily accomplished if you modify my code.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 05:04:21 AM by corlenbelspar »

RPG MAKER in Training!
hmm sounds fixable overall! thanks again for taking a look (and taking the time) and trying to build something! if your test works then I can get started pretty quick on the game!

I was the first Corlen.
Alright I am sending you a private message with a link to the project file.  Bear in mind it is very basic and unfinished but I figured you could fill in the rest at this point and even with my work done on it it's still going to take a lot of work.

RPG MAKER in Training!
thanks for your help! couldn't get the demo to work unfortunately (wouldn't let units move any) in play mode but the scripts seem to still be there so hopefully I can work with that >.<

I was the first Corlen.
That's weird, the tanks should be able to be moved.  Does it just not let you select the tanks to move them or will the units not move when you/the computer tells them to?  If it's a problem with the tanks not being able to be selected, I will add code into it that should fix it.

RPG MAKER in Training!
none of the units would move in the demo but it may just be because It wouldn't load until I copied and pasted my RTP package into the folder with it so the lack of it being their (or being recognized, not sure) and me adding it in may have caused a program error. At first after doing this I could make a guess at where a unit was to click on it and then It would bring up unit menu but not much else. I am assuming the game wasn't packed correctly or something because the box wouldn't show up at first either until I pasted all the folders that were in my RTP into the games folder and then reselected the sprite of the select box. I could select and get options of attack move and wait with the box after that but the units (all of them) would not do anything.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 01:54:21 PM by Kyotita »

I was the first Corlen.
So the attack/wait/cancel menu pops up as soon as you pick a unit?  If so, I think I can fix that easily, hopefully.  If not, does it let you move the cursor 3 or 4 tiles like you are able to move them?

Also, what version of RPG Maker 2003 are you using and who is it translated by?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:46:01 PM by corlenbelspar »

RPG MAKER in Training!
its version 1.08 (1.08 RTP included) no idea who translated it
and no it wont even attempt to let me move

I was the first Corlen.
OK well if you have the one translated by RPG Advocate I see no way there's an incompatibility between our versions of RPG Maker.

Try downloading it again at the same link I gave you, I tried putting a wait command before the accept key you press after choosing a path to move so the accept key command you press to select a unit won't happen at the same time as it.  I also fixed a glitch with the attack command where you couldn't cancel it.

Hopefully this works.  :-\

RPG MAKER in Training!
It just wont work (no movement) So I found a working tactics game system and will be looking at it as a base for my system...it appears that's the only way I will be able to get this to work. At least my sprite database is all set now (found all sprites I wanted and ripped and put them on a sheet) with the time I had, created my new system sets, and I built a working chipset that doesn't go all funky XD. I personally think outside of the system the rest of the work is going well. Thanks for all the work you did attempting to make the system work though! the effort alone is worth adding you into the credits.

peace out -Kyotita

I was the first Corlen.
Well I guess at least we tried. *snicker*  Good to hear you found a solution to your problem.  I will go ahead and post the URL here to what I made in case anyone wants to improve upon it or get it to work for some reason.

http://www.fifthindependent.com/SECRETOMGLOL/GZ.zip