RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Werefang's initial project issues[RESOLVED]

Rep: +0/-0Level 82
"Hey, y'all."  Ehem.  Sorry, I'm not sure where that came from.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to work on my first project but some issues have come to light that I may need help sorting out, so I came here before going to the Projects forum.

First off, I have both RM2K3 as well as RMVX.  I'm on the fence as to which to use as, in some ways, each offers something the other lacks (with default scripts in VX).

Pros of 2k3:
Conventional battle system with visible player party
More battle command options
More freedom with mapping

Pros of VX:
Better asthetics
Further simplified eventing system
Further program freedom

So I guess what I'm really asking is, does the VX script allow for a 2 side battle system rather than the head on system it shares with most other formats?  Personally, I'd rather use VX as it is generally better, in spite of its shortcomings.

EDIT: Looking around the script DB area, I found a few scripts that seemed to suggest party function of some form, so It's definitely not unheard of.

Second: While I both, want to use VX and have heroes visible in battle, I may elect to use a Tactical battle system, similar to FFT or FE, with some Arc the Lad mixed in for good measure.  This is of course, assuming that they above script does not exist.

Would making my game a Tactical RPG be more trouble than it's worth, and stick to the basics?  Or should I go for it and see where it goes.

Anyway, those are all my thoughts in regards to this.  This does, however, assume that I intend to get around to making it and I do not just monkey around with the Maker tools for nothing (which may end up the case) but at the very least, the concept is out in the open if others decide to look into similar ideas.  I'm still just working around with practice and test projects still so, no hurry.

EDIT: After a surprisingly high degree of soul searching, I've decided to say "screw it" and used the standard battle format of VX and see where that goes.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:07:00 AM by Werefang »
Currently Following: