RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
So Mike Portnoy Left Dream Theater?

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
To play with Avenged Sevenfold? What the serious fuck?

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
This happened a while ago, IIRC. >>;

But yeah. Portnoy really sold himself out even if he has a family to support and whatnot... His talents really go to waste. :( It was supposed to be a temporary thing, too, because A7x's drummer died or sth while they were making an album and asked Portnoy to fill-in for a bit BUT NOW HE LEFT. D8 (that's if you didn't know why or something idk lol)

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
Apparrently, progressive rock was not his thing.
:tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
Oh, I just read some of the stuff he wrote/said, so it makes me wonder: Will Portnoy ever rejoin Dream Theatre? I mean, his main motive for leaving DT was to take a break, and A7x was just to enjoy his life as a drummer without worrying about the administrative stuff. So does that mean he would return back to DT after he takes a break?

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
He asked the rest of the band if they could take a hiatus from Dream Theater a couple/few years. The other members didn't want to so he decided to leave and let them continue with the band. Mike says it had nothing to do with Avenged Sevenfold, but rather the constant write > tour > repeat cycle burning him out. According to James LaBrie, (and I think Petrucci said this in his forums) there are 7 top drummers who are going to audition soon, and the band is confident they can all perform well, so they're mostly looking for the one with the right personality and look. Still planning on hitting the studio in January.

Mike might be back eventually, but it's hard to see right now. If I were a betting man, I'd say he'd return after the next album and tour.

On a related note, Portnoy's being a big baby about everything and has been deleting threads in his forums that discuss anything related to him leaving or the new drummer. He also deleted a thread talking about James LaBrie's new album because he read a headline that said JLB isn't sad about Mike leaving, though he really said in the radio interview that he's not sad anymore and he's looking forward to the future (or something like that)

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I can understand wanting to leave for a while, but Avenged Sevenfold sucks ass.

Rep:
Level 84
Is a New Zealander
Kevin Moore left due to creative differences a long time ago, and he's put out some really great music since.
I'm much too lazy to put an actual signature here.

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
I can understand wanting to leave for a while, but Avenged Sevenfold sucks ass.
He left to escape the pressures of administrative work so I guess he just wants to dick around so Avenged Sevenfold would be perfect for him to screw around in, ahahaha. They'd still be 10x better, too. 8D hahahha

You zetta sons of digits.
Rep:
Level 91
SMEEEEE HEEEEEE
I saw dream theater last year.

I wasn't very impressed :/ they just looked bored whilst playing.

Rep:
Level 94
Their new stuff sucks. And don't say "whilst".

Rep:
Level 102
2014 Biggest Narcissist Award2014 Best Non-RM Creator2014 Biggest Forum Potato2013 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Best Game Creator (Non-RM)Participant - GIAW 112012 Most Successful Troll2012 Funniest Member2012 Best Use Of Avatar and Signature space2012 Best IRC ChatterboxSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for November 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2010 Most Successful Troll2010 Biggest Forum Couch Potato2010 Best IRC Chatterbox
I enjoyed Black Clouds and Silver Linings. I did not enjoy Systematic Chaos.

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

A Random Custom Title
Rep:
Level 96
wah
You're only saying that because you bought the Collector's Edition thing

Rep:
Level 102
You're only saying that because you bought the Collector's Edition thing
No, I'm saying that because I found that every song on Systematic Chaos is either too unimaginative or too outlandish to be enjoyable, while I find every song on Black Clouds and Silver Linings to be very good. I listened to the album before I bought it.