RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
Alan Wake

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
Apologies if there's already a thread on this, but if there is, it doesn't look like it's received a post since the game's release.

I thoroughly enjoyed this game, I must say. Very atmospheric, great story, lovingly-rendered, cinematic graphics, and the soundtrack (in addition to the original score) is brilliant.

Anyone else played this? I feel the need to get a discussion going.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
I honestly watched some let's Play about it, the story is nice but it seems kind of repetive with the "Flash light once they aren't effected greatly by the light, shoot them!" thing kind of got boring for me but I stayed around for the story.
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I liked it.

Rep:
Level 88
Illuminaudio
I honestly watched some let's Play about it, the story is nice but it seems kind of repetive with the "Flash light once they aren't effected greatly by the light, shoot them!" thing kind of got boring for me but I stayed around for the story.

Better dynamic than just plain "shoot them!"

Rep:
Level 96
2010 Most Attractive Male Member2010 Best Musician
Bump because this is on PC, now. And on Steam, on sale. So I got it. And I LOVE it.

If you buy it right now (again, it's on sale) you get the collector's edition, which comes with creator commentary (in-game), a 130-page pdf illustration, and the soundtrack.

:tinysmile::tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
I have this on Xbox. It's great.
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 94
2012 Most Attractive Male MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for June 20092010 Best Counsel
I've been thinking about getting it, but I can't decide. I've been hearing that its a bit monotonous, but also that it has a good story. Tell me some stuff about it.

Rep:
Level 97
Definitely better than Hitler.
2014 Best Musician2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Funniest Member2013 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2013 Best Musician2013 King of RMRKFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Username2012 Best MusicianFor frequent good quality Wiki writing [citation needed]Most entertaining member on the IRC2011 Best Musician2011 Funniest Member2010 Most Missed Member
The gameplay can be a little monotonous, but I don't think it's any worse than a lot of games. Or, to put it another way, it didn't get to the point where I was bored with it. I think using light sources as your main means of attack is a pretty cool idea. On the easiest difficulty setting you can pretty much kill anything, but on any other difficulty you're expected to preserve your ammo and actually run from some enemies rather than fighting everything. The atmosphere is great; the mood is set just right and it really draws you in.. As far as story, I think it's really good. If you like Stephen King at all, then you'll probably enjoy it. The writer also cited Lost as an inspiration, and you can definitely pick up on that.

My only complaint, being that I have it on 360, is that you have to buy the two DLCs to get the full story and ending. Kind of lame.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 06:12:49 AM by HaloOfTheSun »
:tinysmile:

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 King of RMRK2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 Best Counsel2014 Best Writer2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Writer2011 Best Counsel2010 Best IRC Chatterbox2010 Best Writer
I heard it was really neat, I want to get it. My 360 died when it came out, so I thought I was out of luck.
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 96
The gameplay can be a little monotonous, but I don't think it's any worse than a lot of games. Or, to put it another way, it didn't get to the point where I was bored with it. I think using light sources as your main means of attack is a pretty cool idea. On the easiest difficulty setting you can pretty much kill anything, but on any other difficulty you're expected to preserve your ammo and actually run from some enemies rather than fighting everything. The atmosphere is great; the mood is set just right and it really draws you in.. As far as story, I think it's really good. If you like Stephen King at all, then you'll probably enjoy it. The writer also cited Lost as an inspiration, and you can definitely pick up on that.

My only complaint, being that I have it on 360, is that you have to buy the two DLCs to get the full story and ending. Kind of lame.
This sums it up perfectly. The gameplay is monotonous in the same way the gameplay in Resident Evil is monotonous. You shoot things and solve puzzles, and that's about it, but the changes in terrain, close quarters, tension, sound design, atmosphere and need to conserve ammo keep it interesting enough to keep going and enjoy the (amazing) story. They do a LOT of really neat horror and psychological-thriller ideas that you see in movies of those genres all the time, and it's all very fluid, so you feel like you're in control instead of just watching a series of movies.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:08:32 PM by arlen »

Rep:
Level 97
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantSecret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Most Successful Troll
I absolutely cannot stand any of the characters in this game. But it did keep me interested enough to get all the way through it, and the entire Norse Metal farm bit made it all up to me.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I've been thinking about getting it, but I can't decide. I've been hearing that its a bit monotonous, but also that it has a good story. Tell me some stuff about it.

Stephen King: The Game

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

( ´ิ(ꈊ) ´ิ) ((≡^⚲͜^≡)) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)
Rep:
Level 102
(っ˘ڡ˘ς) ʕ•̼͛͡•ʕ-̺͛͡•ʔ•̮͛͡•ʔ (*ꆤ.̫ꆤ*)
2014 Avast Ye Merry Pirate!2013 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award2012 Avast Ye Merry Pirate AwardFor frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Avast Ye Merry Pirate2011 Most Unsung Member2010 Avast Ye Merry Pirate Award
This game runs like shit, it's insanely unoptimized.

That's what you get when a game is a console port I guess. I can run Crysis 2 on DX9 High at 720p while simultaneously livestreaming it in H.264 in realtime and keep 30fps+, but alan wake drops to 15-25fps once gameplay starts. Derp.

Forcing lower settings and disabling features via ATI's control panel helps a bit, but dayum.
bringing sexy back

moew
Rep:
Level 91
Queen Princess
2013 Most Missed Member2012 Most Missed Member;o hee hee <3For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki
Yeah, the game isn't running too flash on the PC. Currently playing through it and while the shooting is already feeling really tedious and bad the story is good enough to make me play through it.
:taco: :taco: :taco:

Rep:
Level 96
No problems running on my PC (which is a mac). :=:

Rep:
Level 94
Yeah, every review says that this is the way a console port should be done, and it runs perfectly.

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
I've seen the same thing, Holk, so I have no idea where Roph is coming from.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon