RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Visual] Matt's Art

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
Want me to make you one?

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Yes. That would be amazing. I've been trying to find tutorials all over the place. I found the Imagine FX magazine, and it looks extremely promising, but it's WAY too expensive (in America).

Thank you in advance.

1. The result of playing way too much Skate 3.
2. Miri.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I'm on it. I'll try to recreate the background, and send you a PSD file. Looking at what I've done will help you a lot.

I'll send instructions too when its done.

EDIT: If you like this I'll give you instructions. its a really quick, easy background.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:26:25 PM by Grace »

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
If you have the instructions handy, that'd be awesome. The picture itself is a lot better than my attempt. Thanks for doing this for me.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Right-o, give me a minute or two.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Here is how I made each layer:

Leaf Shadow:
Use the leaf brush. with both foreground and background colour set to black. Paint wherever you want there to be shadow, and make sure its on a seperate layer to everything else. Once you're happy, on the layers box, select the leaf layer, and where it say opacity on the layers box set that to anything you like - I think it was a bout 30 on mine. This will add a nice shadow over anything beneath it, creating the illusion of a leaf canopy.

Tree trunk:
Using a preset, 100% hardness brush (one of the first ones), paint a tree shape. Neaten it out, so it looks good. Now, you are going to lock the layers transparency. You may have noticed on the layer box, the word "Lock:" followed by several symbols. CLick the first one, the one that looks like a tiny gray and white checkered box. You should notice that you can now no longer paint over transparent areas. This means you can recolour entire layers without going over what you have already drawn.
Now, add areas of shadow and highlights. Don't worry about being neat, just splodge the colour on. Once you're happy you have the shadow and highlight colours in the right place, use the smudge tool on 50% strength to blend the colours together. Once satisfied, move onto the final layer.

Grass:
By far the easiest. Choose a nice yellowy dark green. Paint the entire layer that colour. Now, as we did for the tree layer, add colours of varying greens and yellows, and smudge them together. Maybe have browns beneath the tree trunk, like in real life where grass has died away.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
*Saves previous post*

Thanks a bunch, Stocking. It's really hard to find easy tutorials out there.

--

Here are some crappy draft pages for a manga I have to do for art class. I've never actually inked and toned a page before, mind you. I'm too lazy. If I ever became a mangaka, I'd be one who relied heavily on assistants.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

A doodle I did in Sai this morning. Left it unfinished 'cause it looked kinda cool that way. Plus, I didn't have the time before class to get everything in--or out.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
My OC, Miri:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
My character from Angel Hunters, Akiria:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Rocks.

They fail.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
They just need to be more defined :)

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I agree. I did a lot more rocks after that (I dunno why), and they turned out a little better.

For now, here's Miri:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Another picture. Grayscale shading practice in Photoshop, now with 50% less manga, 100% less loli, and 95% less aesthetic appeal.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
The eyes are still mangaish :P

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

I'll get better eventually.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I'll do some cleaner drawings next time . . .

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
@Gracie - Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I've gotten into the habit of dropping art and running, since I use, like five forums on a regular basis. On the picture you commented on, yes, the eyes were still sucky. The only part I liked was the fact that I started with a background that wasn't white, like the pros do. It made me feel cool for all of a minute.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
My realism sucks:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I just realized that I very, very rarely use reference from anything other than anatomy books and real life. So, while I obviously take influence from manga (no-brainer), I think that the stuff I've posted here is genuinely my own style. I say that because a lot of people on ConceptArt post on my thread just to say that anime sucks, or something of the like. But even if anime had never existed, I think my style would have turned out something like it is now anyway, maybe with smaller eyes. Somewhat like this:

*First guy-only picture in, like, forever. Drawn in Artrage 2 with the paint roller, paint brush, and pencil. I know it sucks, but it was practice, so that's okay. Eventually, I want to be able to draw any style I want, whether it's anime, Scott Pilgrim, X-men, or complete realism. I've been doing a ton of anatomy and perspective studies recently, mainly focusing on one thing at a time (feet were the latest). I feel I'm learning a lot, but I'm not applying it like I should.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Matt what happened with that famas it's like you had a reference for the upper reciever but not for the entire rear of the gun?  With gun's it's really always best to have a reference picture of the whole thing.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I agree. I know I screwed half of it up, because I was using a reference from Counter Strike: Source. I looked at a Famas some guy had dropped while my brother was playing, and he didn't look at it very long. Someday I'll rip some of the models from that game and look at them in 3DS or Maya or Lightwave or something for reference.

And here's some new stuff:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/044/6/4/writing_meme_by_boriol-d39gwut.jpg

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Lately, I've been working on making things less sketchy by making less strokes to finish a picture. It ends up saving time and lead, and therefore I think I'll keep working on it. Also, I'm working on a fighting game for a final project in my game design class, and made two basic character sketches last night:

Yes, there WILL be male characters. These are just the first two I did. Probably gonna change the first girl up a bit in the pixel stage.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer