RMRK is retiring.
Registration is disabled. The site will remain online, but eventually become a read-only archive. More information.

RMRK.net has nothing to do with Blockchains, Cryptocurrency or NFTs. We have been around since the early 2000s, but there is a new group using the RMRK name that deals with those things. We have nothing to do with them.
NFTs are a scam, and if somebody is trying to persuade you to buy or invest in crypto/blockchain/NFT content, please turn them down and save your money. See this video for more information.
[Visual] Matt's Art

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

I'm just starting to get the hang of dynamic poses. Now to work on perspective . . .

Or not.

Here, a work in progress that I haven't worked on in a week:

Gotta fix her hands and feet next time I actually open Sai.

Drawing experience: 2.5 years
Favorite artists: Tony Taka, Yabuki Kentaro
Anyway, I'm aiming for a mixture of moe and bishojo, also thinking about doing some realism on the side, and getting into 3D modeling whenever I get the money for Lightwave or Maya. Or when I learn how to use Blender properly.

I'll post more as I draw more. Might not be a whole lot: what with classes and such, I don't have much time to do anything.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 06:06:04 PM by boe »

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Testing out more semirealistic manga. I can't draw girls very well in that style though.

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
They look pretty good. The hands on some of them look a little disproportionate, but all in all they are very nice.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Thanks, MA. I'll keep trying on the hands--I've never been that great at them.

Rep:
Level 87
"Dear diary, jack pot"
Wow this is really good Matt, you make me want to quit drawing ;P
Deceased, the memories of time flow ever lasting. Let the passion of the living and the dead touch you, and give you their wisdom.

I'd sooner die than leave your side, I'd sooner rust than let you die.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Aah, don't do that! If you like it, I want it to inspire you to draw MORE!

Kinda like what this person does for me.

Oh, and here are some eyes I made for practice in Photoshop:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:15:00 PM by Matthew »

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
WIP continued:

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Junior
I prefer more realistic art to this kind of style, but looking at it objectively they're all good; but I like the pencil ones more (probably cause I prefer pencil drawings to other forms of art in general) Anyway,

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Spriter
Very impressive!

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Lucario, Lucas - thanks.

I tried Sai's airbrush tool. Looks kinda 2D, but I can fix that with practice:

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Junior
Lucario, Lucas - thanks.
It's no problem ;), but please - it's Lukas.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
GAH! Missed the K!

Anyway, here:

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Junior
I love those =D,
Keep up the good work.

And also btw, all three of them have very little shading - I think that shading (if its done right) can make a good drawing even better.

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Spriter
Very, very impressive!
I think they look just as good without shading.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Maybe a bit much for a first(?) try on lighting, but it's good to aim high, I think.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Someday, I'll get to a level where I can actually do some artwork for my games (and probably some for people here as well).

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Spriter
Very, very nice ones! You sure know what you're doing with your pen.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
If the picture was full-size, the pen wouldn't look near as good. I draw it in twice the size originally--with messy lines. When I reduce it by half, the lines come out looking a lot better.

Here's a faceless 3D Kirby. I have less than an hour of experience in 3D, so I know it's not that great.

Hey... my name's... Sashikinaroji...
Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
If I had to guess... Autodesk Maia?

I generally like your art and am pissed off that in 6 years of drawing I am not as good as you are with only 2.5... I guess my problem is that I don't study enough... I just draw things I see...

The first lighting work you did was great... Although the hands are a bit off... The shape is just... wrong somehow... I don't know what to say...

And that guy from the first post was really good too... I was really pissed when I saw it... Especially after just reading 2.5 years... hahahah!
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 75
RMRK Spriter
You should use Autodesk 3ds Max. It's much, much better than Maya.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
@Sashikinaroji - Yup, Maya. The college doesn't hold licences to Max, though I wish it did. As for 2.5 years . . . keep in mind that I draw literally every day, sometimes multiple things per day. Plus, I study manga and other art forms as much as I can (psh--actually, I just read too much manga and play too many games).

Funny thing is, I get ticked at myself if I don't draw constantly. I have some kinda thing with my mentality that just won't let me slack off in art.

@Weavile - I agree. I have Max on my laptop, but I have to use Maya during class. Like I told Sashi, the college only has Maya. I suffer from a lack of active symmetry.

Oh, and here's my first fanart in a long time:

It's Eri Hasumi, from the game Vanguard Princess. Probably the most visually appealing fighter I've ever played.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 02:18:49 PM by Matthew »

Hungry
Rep:
Level 96
Mawbeast
2013 Best ArtistParticipant - GIAW 11Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.2012 Best Game Creator (Non-RM Programs)~Bronze - GIAW 9Project of the Month winner for August 2008Project of the Month winner for December 20092011 Best Game Creator (Non RM)Gold - GIAW Halloween
good work, but I'd suggest trying to loosen up your poses a bit, make them more organic.  They're stiff.

I have trouble with that myself, it's a bitch getting it to work.

FCF3a A+ C- D H- M P+ R T W- Z- Sf RLCT a cmn+++ d++ e++ f h+++ iw+++ j+ p sf+
Follow my project: MBlok | Find me on: Bandcamp | Twitter | Patreon

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Ooh, Namkcor. I downloaded your High School RPG game awhile back and loved it.

I worked on poses a bit earlier today. Here's the results:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Messing with my style again, trying to make it better.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/319/e/e/zombie_meme___completed_by_animefusion88-d32xcnc.jpg
Note: the characters in the meme (aside from me) are not real people. They were my first four OCs ever.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
You know, I think its all gonna be okay.
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I can see improvement as time goes by. While I draw in a completely different style, this work is far and away from what I can do. Very nice manga style with great costuming on the above, top left; I love that one for some reason.  Overall excellent work, sir, I'd be proud of myself if I were you!
:tinysmile:

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
Rm2k Advanced
Very nice, you really can see the improvement as you go on. You've got a knack for proportions, have you ever considered animation? I think you'd be very good at it.
http://hawkeyegames.blogspot.com/
My new Rpg Making blog; a new life to the old Hawk Games from 2006

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I'm going to college for game design and development. Of course, that includes animation. I can do 3D animation a lot easier than 2D for some reason.

A knack for proportions? Less of a knack and a ton of practice, I think. And I'm still nothing compared to some people I know (both online and off).

Here's a 2 minute sketch. I could put some lineart and color in and make a portrait for RMXP or VX or something. . . .

EDIT: Forgot to upload that picture when I first posted. ^^ Fail.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:41:11 PM by Matthew »

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep: +0/-0Level 74
Rm2k Advanced
hehe, yea uploading the pic would have been a good idea. Once again, looking very good. I like the action poses
http://hawkeyegames.blogspot.com/
My new Rpg Making blog; a new life to the old Hawk Games from 2006

Rep:
Level 98
2010 Best Veteran2014 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2014 Best IRC Chatterbox2014 Most Mature Member2014 Best Writer2014 Favorite Staff Member2014 King of RMRK2014 Best Counsel2013 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor the great victory in the Breakfast War.Secret Santa 2012 Participant2011 Best Counsel2011 Best Writer2010 Best Writer2010 Funniest Member
Your anatomy is ~spectacular~
you awoke in a burning paperhouse
from the infinite fields of dreamless sleep

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
hrm... I really don't like your latest page... I think the one before it is much better, but it doesn't really have much in it... 

And god... I love the Higurashi pose... Really captures the crazy you see in that show so often...
Ok, DON'T EXPECT HELP FROM ME~! I will perhaps rant a bit, but don't expect me to do graphics for you, even if I say I will... I won't.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I don't like my latest page either. That's the stuff I do during algebra when I SHOULD be learning how to PROPERLY complete the square, when I should have learned it back in my sophomore year anyway.

(Higurashi rocks. Especially Rena's arc in the first season and Hanyuu's arrival in the second.)

I figured out the pen tool. Here:

Just a random villager for my game--one of the ones you talk to in the hometown when you're trying to find your way around for the first time.

No, I'm not using RPG Maker for it. *stabbed* Two of my classmates and I are putting together a top-down RPG with a battle system that's gonna take THEM weeks to figure out (they're doing the coding--all in Python, maybe in C++ if we get there fast enough). Our deadline is June of 2011.

MY SON ALWAYS DREAMED OF A LIFE AT SEA!
Rep:
Level 74
Lol Irocks a troll.
Very nice stuff I guess when you draw that long it turns out pretty gooD!

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Very nice stuff I guess when you draw that long it turns out pretty gooD!

two and a half years of drawing is no time at all. Everyone's drawn for that long, if you think about it... Matt's just got talent. And he both was gifted and worked for it. Mostly worked and practiced, but also gifted with the steady hand.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Wow. It's awesome to hear someone say that. I've never thought I had any type of talent for drawing. I started at rock bottom and set a goal that worked well enough for me that I sort of tricked myself into drawing every day. It doesn't feel like I'm doing enough, though. I feel like every minute I spend on video games is a waste of time. Most teachers/parents would love that mindset, but the catch is, I feel the same way about homework.

For example, it's 10:15 AM where I live and I've had my tablet out and ready to draw for two hours already--two hours that I've spent typing out messages on forums (which is one of the only things I don't think is a waste), looking up Chuck Norris jokes, and listening to potential songs for my game. My friend and I have our headphones synced and are listening to all of Ghost's stuff (I like "Travel the World" and "Soul Search").

I've gotta go and start drawing now.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
For going the distance for a balanced breakfast.Project of the Month winner for June 2009For being a noted contributor to the RMRK Wiki2013 Best WriterSilver Writing ReviewerSecret Santa 2013 Participant
I need to start drawing again.

Rep:
Level 76
~I am your worst nightmare~
2010 Most Immature Member
what would it take for you to do a zelda background?
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
A reference and a good tutorial on backgrounds. I can get those easily. Want me to do one?

Till then, here's a lineart of Nia Teppelin from Gurren Lagann, as a request for a guy on another forum. I've never seen GL, so if I got her character completely wrong, it's not my fault. Actually it is.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I assume you draw with a tablet... I'm not sure though... The new pic looks nice, btw...

Rep:
Level 76
yes I would like a Zelda background please, and on the logo a chain latched to the Z but broken chain, colored please ;b
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
That'll be a good challenge (since I really need to get around to coloring some stuff). I'll take you up on that one, but it might take me awhile to finish, as it'll be my first digital background.

Need a subtitle?

Rep:
Level 76
kk thanks, and yes to the subtitle
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
kk thanks, and yes to the subtitle

I have no idea how to tell you this without sounding like an ass... So I won't try.

you need to tell him WHAT TO PUT AS THE FUCKING SUBTITLE!

As far as I can see, you don't have anything indicating what you are working on, so... Yeah, do the math, DA...

As a side note: So Matt, what do you use for your illustrations? Scanning and post production, or just digital?

Rep:
Level 76
look at my pic.... under comment that's what I'm working on
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I has some advice for youse...

My friend Crystal draws fucking gorgeous manga artwork and she learned from copying images on the net. Also, you need to do some life drawings, they help with proportion and such... Learn from life or something.

I dunno.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
@Stereotypical - Learning from life has long been a standard for artists of every style. Of course, I do it too, but not near as much as I should (I draw from scratch too much). I really should power-level my life drawing next time I get the chance (i.e. today).

@Sashikinaroj - Usually, when I draw traditionally, it tends to stay traditional--like, I scan and sumbit without any editing. When I draw digitally, I'm a lot more likely to color and ink something. It's a ton easier that way, since I don't have to do extra work to get it finished. I recently got some dip pens and India ink from my art teacher, so I might do a lot more pro-looking stuff soon. As soon as I figure out how to use those things without making my lines all different weights.

@Kaboth - I finished the first draft--I'll show that to you when I get to some place where I get more than 40 kbp/s (dial-up). I can add more or take stuff out if you don't like it. Like I said last post, it's the first background I've ever done. My parents asked me why I didn't charge anything for it, but I just don't trust my ability with backgrounds enough to believe that I'd be giving you a fair deal. So until then (think years), I'm doing backgrounds for free.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
2012 Best Artistf*ck u >:(2011 Best Artist2010 Best NewbieParticipant - GIAW 11Bronze - GIAW 92011 Most Attractive Female MemberBronze - Game In A Week VII
I hafta admit that I'm guilty of that too. But even drawing from scratch, its clear you do try to get your anatomy straight.

Rep:
Level 76
k, thanks mat I'll be waiting
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I'll add a silhouette of Link on his horse later. This is just version 1.

Rep:
Level 76
oh, wow that's sweet xD, and ok I'll be waiting on the horse ;b
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I gotta do it fast. I only have 29 days left on Photoshop, then I actually have to buy it. I don't have near enough money . . .

I should power-level my art and do commissions on Deviantart.

Rep:
Level 76
what photoshop i can find you a key
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
I'm not a Mod but I'm pretty sure that it's against the rules to do that Kaboth.

No piracy outside the right boards.

Rep:
Level 76
my bad didnt know ;b
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Well now you do, so just be careful.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Lol, "Outside the right boards."

I have a temporary solution in Paint Tool Sai (which I pi . . . obtained a year or so back), but Photoshop's a little easier for me, as I've had about 70 trillion lessons in it.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Dip pens are hard to get used to.

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86

Dip pens are hard to get used to.

Yep. I got a higher-end calligraphy set for Christmas one year, and even with the EZ-flo gold plating on the nibs it took months before I didn't suck.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/338/b/3/kasey__s_story_by_animefusion88-d346zpp.jpg

Best picture I've ever done, and not even the most artistically skilled.

I just found some gold plating for the pens. I'll use that next chance I get.

Rep:
Level 76
how's the horse with link...?
kaboth (a.k.a. Ic3ByTE)

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I haven't been around my tablet long enough to get it done yet. I've been stuck at school with nothing but my sketchpad and pencil.

I should probably learn how to draw a horse before I do that, though. It might be a little while.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

So there's the rough concept. I've never drawn a horse before--in my entire life. I might redo it after I get a few good animal anatomy books.

And here's some sketches for my Angel Hunters book:

vv Crappiest sketch ever. *sigh* My failure at big scenes is one of the many reasons I'm not doing manga pages yet.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Impressionism, I guess. I had to take a break from trying and failing to draw lolis.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

The lineart, which I personally think looks a little better. Feel free to color it.

Style practice featuring the healer from my game, a random sketch, and a request for some guy on another forum. It's his OC, Nyu.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Did you go out and get photoshop? The image quality has just gone BOOM!

But it looks good. I think you should work on your perspective a little.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Perspective. Yeah. I really need to pull out my perspective books. I've been getting lazy, especially on background elements.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Me rikey.

The winged fellow is very good.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:53:18 PM by The Box »

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
It's a little odd that my guys are prettier than the girls, though. *sigh*

Oh well. 2.9 years isn't a long time to be drawing. I'll get better.

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
she seems like she should be more crouched... Idk... her legs just don't look right with her body... She doesn't look like she knows how to use a gun due to her straight armed, apathetic stance...

as a side note, I have noticed that your necks are way too long... They just don't seem natural for some reason...

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
NECKS!! That could be the reason I keep screwing up the head heights! Thanks, man.

Also, I've been having problems with legs for a long time now. The way they are in that pic looks like all the sketches I throw out and don't post (that's 3/5 of them). The straight arm is justifiable, as she really doesn't know how to use a gun, but I'll really work on legs.

My game characters. From left to right: Mizu (battlemage), Orrin (knight), Hayley (healer/mage).

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

1. Random background/angle practice. It's not very good.
2. Fanart for the game Hanakanmuri. Don't play it unless you like lolis a ton OR like vore and hentai. For me, it's the former. The characters are just adorable.
3. My OC, Miri. She used to have huge boobs, but she looks better like that. Looks more her age, too.
4. Kitty people.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

A contest entry for another site. I need some good background tutorials for Photoshop, but Google doesn't work with things like this.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Want me to make you one?

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Yes. That would be amazing. I've been trying to find tutorials all over the place. I found the Imagine FX magazine, and it looks extremely promising, but it's WAY too expensive (in America).

Thank you in advance.

1. The result of playing way too much Skate 3.
2. Miri.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
I'm on it. I'll try to recreate the background, and send you a PSD file. Looking at what I've done will help you a lot.

I'll send instructions too when its done.

EDIT: If you like this I'll give you instructions. its a really quick, easy background.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:26:25 PM by Grace »

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
If you have the instructions handy, that'd be awesome. The picture itself is a lot better than my attempt. Thanks for doing this for me.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Right-o, give me a minute or two.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
Here is how I made each layer:

Leaf Shadow:
Use the leaf brush. with both foreground and background colour set to black. Paint wherever you want there to be shadow, and make sure its on a seperate layer to everything else. Once you're happy, on the layers box, select the leaf layer, and where it say opacity on the layers box set that to anything you like - I think it was a bout 30 on mine. This will add a nice shadow over anything beneath it, creating the illusion of a leaf canopy.

Tree trunk:
Using a preset, 100% hardness brush (one of the first ones), paint a tree shape. Neaten it out, so it looks good. Now, you are going to lock the layers transparency. You may have noticed on the layer box, the word "Lock:" followed by several symbols. CLick the first one, the one that looks like a tiny gray and white checkered box. You should notice that you can now no longer paint over transparent areas. This means you can recolour entire layers without going over what you have already drawn.
Now, add areas of shadow and highlights. Don't worry about being neat, just splodge the colour on. Once you're happy you have the shadow and highlight colours in the right place, use the smudge tool on 50% strength to blend the colours together. Once satisfied, move onto the final layer.

Grass:
By far the easiest. Choose a nice yellowy dark green. Paint the entire layer that colour. Now, as we did for the tree layer, add colours of varying greens and yellows, and smudge them together. Maybe have browns beneath the tree trunk, like in real life where grass has died away.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
*Saves previous post*

Thanks a bunch, Stocking. It's really hard to find easy tutorials out there.

--

Here are some crappy draft pages for a manga I have to do for art class. I've never actually inked and toned a page before, mind you. I'm too lazy. If I ever became a mangaka, I'd be one who relied heavily on assistants.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

A doodle I did in Sai this morning. Left it unfinished 'cause it looked kinda cool that way. Plus, I didn't have the time before class to get everything in--or out.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
My OC, Miri:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
My character from Angel Hunters, Akiria:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Rocks.

They fail.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
They just need to be more defined :)

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I agree. I did a lot more rocks after that (I dunno why), and they turned out a little better.

For now, here's Miri:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Another picture. Grayscale shading practice in Photoshop, now with 50% less manga, 100% less loli, and 95% less aesthetic appeal.

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76
The eyes are still mangaish :P

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

I'll get better eventually.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I'll do some cleaner drawings next time . . .

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
@Gracie - Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I've gotten into the habit of dropping art and running, since I use, like five forums on a regular basis. On the picture you commented on, yes, the eyes were still sucky. The only part I liked was the fact that I started with a background that wasn't white, like the pros do. It made me feel cool for all of a minute.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
My realism sucks:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I just realized that I very, very rarely use reference from anything other than anatomy books and real life. So, while I obviously take influence from manga (no-brainer), I think that the stuff I've posted here is genuinely my own style. I say that because a lot of people on ConceptArt post on my thread just to say that anime sucks, or something of the like. But even if anime had never existed, I think my style would have turned out something like it is now anyway, maybe with smaller eyes. Somewhat like this:

*First guy-only picture in, like, forever. Drawn in Artrage 2 with the paint roller, paint brush, and pencil. I know it sucks, but it was practice, so that's okay. Eventually, I want to be able to draw any style I want, whether it's anime, Scott Pilgrim, X-men, or complete realism. I've been doing a ton of anatomy and perspective studies recently, mainly focusing on one thing at a time (feet were the latest). I feel I'm learning a lot, but I'm not applying it like I should.

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
Matt what happened with that famas it's like you had a reference for the upper reciever but not for the entire rear of the gun?  With gun's it's really always best to have a reference picture of the whole thing.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I agree. I know I screwed half of it up, because I was using a reference from Counter Strike: Source. I looked at a Famas some guy had dropped while my brother was playing, and he didn't look at it very long. Someday I'll rip some of the models from that game and look at them in 3DS or Maya or Lightwave or something for reference.

And here's some new stuff:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/044/6/4/writing_meme_by_boriol-d39gwut.jpg

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Lately, I've been working on making things less sketchy by making less strokes to finish a picture. It ends up saving time and lead, and therefore I think I'll keep working on it. Also, I'm working on a fighting game for a final project in my game design class, and made two basic character sketches last night:

Yes, there WILL be male characters. These are just the first two I did. Probably gonna change the first girl up a bit in the pixel stage.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

RMRK's dad
Rep:
Level 86
Heh, cool. Keep it coming.

my name is Timothy what's yours
Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
Hahaha!
Mutilation is hilarious. :V
It's terrible and nobody in the world by the means of humanity and morals should be forced to live with it.
But the comic's funny and the drawings cool. Keep it up and there's a candy bar in it for you!
Your art is amazing.
it's like a metaphor or something i don't know

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Well, only the strawberry got mutilated. It did look like that was her thumb, though. I blame my subpar art skills for that.

But you're right. Mutilation can be used as a variant of slapstick in some humor, i.e. Family Guy and South Park, and can even draw laughs from more sensitive people if used right.

I'll work hard to improve to avoid such misunderstandings in the future. Until then, if you suspect mutilation in my pictures, check and see if there's blood. If there's blood, it's mutilation. If not, it's my artistic mistake.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Not fanart, but I drew it within an hour after watching 10 straight episodes of Seto no Hanayome. That's 200 minutes I coulda been drawing something.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Crappy thing done in a few minutes. Need to add some depth next time I do something like this, 'cause it looks too flat.

Lineart in Sai, because I haven't done any Sai in, like, months.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
A crappy drawing:

An ink drawing. The guy looked a lot better in the sketch stage:

Another ink drawing that turned out looking like Vocaloid:

The base colored version:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Sixth post in a row. Wow. Maybe I'll just start editing this post.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
The art to text ratio here is exactly the opposite of my ConceptArt page.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
After doing some studies on light/shadow, folds, and Japanese via Rosetta Stone (Hebrew is fun, too! Except all their symbols look the same):

Rep:
Level 97
2014 Most Unsung Member2014 Best RPG Maker User - Engine2013 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Most Mature Member2012 Best Member2012 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2012 Favorite Staff MemberSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantProject of the Month winner for July 20092011 Best Veteran2011 Favourite Staff Member2011 Best Use of Avatar and Signature Space2011 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2011 Most Mature Member2010 Best RPG Maker User (Scripting)2010 Best Use Of Avatar And Signature Space
The art to text ratio here is exactly the opposite of my ConceptArt page.

This picture is pretty wicked I have to say!

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I'd love to finish it at some point. I'm just too easily distracted. Thanks for the comment--I think I'll start working on it ASAP.

For now:

More low-quality sketchbook stuff, because I was busy reading Touhou doujins yesterday.

A cover concept for Angel Hunters.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I used to always come here and rage about how much better you are at art than I am... I am glad to say I no longer feel that way, because you are just as bad at vehicles as I am~ ^_^

You're still much better at people though...

Also, I love your scenes, like the reclining bf/gf pic, something about it is just... perfect... You should do a hard inking of it to give us a final product~!

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I've always been bad at mechanical stuff, i.e. vehicles. They're very challenging for organic artists. And I think I'll ink that picture you pointed out. I also think it's worth finishing.

Illyana, from Angel Hunters.

Chibi Naomi.

Rep:
Level 71
Entity Humanoid Interface
I've browsed through your whole topic and I see quite a lot of improvement so it's rlly good. Though you still have trouble with proportions in general (hands for example). Keep up the drawing ~

And Chibi Naomi is rly cute :D
I support \\(>O<)b

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Hands have always given me a hard time. I'll work on them.

Thanks for the comment!

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Saimoe contest entry:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
SaiMoe entry # 2:

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer

Rep:
Level 83
Look at me, runnin' and all
Project of the Month winner for August 2009
I really, really enjoy to see how you grow and how you just keep doing it. This topic represents the saying that you'll learn eventually by just doing it.
  - 

Small Bat Dev
Rep:
Level 76

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
2014 Most Missed Member2014 Best IRC Quote2014 Zero to Hero2012 Zero To HeroSecret Santa 2012 ParticipantContestant - GIAW 9For frequently finding and reporting spam and spam bots2011 Zero to Hero
That is actually bloody amazing work Matt.
Looking awesome, definitely keep it up!

Rep:
Level 72
Spell Card User
Thank you for not skimping on the hands :0 I know so many artists that force their characters into stupid and ridiculous poses just to avoid drawing them (like me, for example ><)

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
@Pacman - I'll try! I've been being so lazy recently, it's hard to even pick up my tablet pen.

@Mein Captain - Since I learned that Sai's marker tool was better for inking than the pen tool, I guess.

@Japur - You DO eventually learn over time, but progress is much faster if you go through millions of anatomy books and study it all the time, draw from life, hang around other pros, etc. I don't do a single one of those things very consistently. Anatomy studies are boring, so I don't do as many of them as I should.

@Heaven Miracle - Don't worry about the hand thing. Hands are difficult, and they come with time. I'm pretty bad at them as it is, so I did this for practice:

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I was supposed to keep working with my tablet and rival you... but I lost my pen... *sigh* and now you're doing amazing and I'm left alone... Oh well. C'est la Vie~! I love your angel and demon sketch. It looks beautiful! Did you have to use a bunch of references to get the hands just right or was it pretty much trial and error?

Rep:
Level 69
RMRK Junior
Absolutely beautiful art man. 

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
@Thanatos - Thanks.

@Sashikinaroji - The hands were all trial-and-error. They turn out a lot better when I use references, but I'm lazy. Also, don't worry about not catching up or anything. I haven't drawn in two months.

A commission for a friend: Spongebob fighting Kakashi. Didn't pay any attention to perspective at all.

My character, Naomi, as she appears at 10 years of age. Done on an Oekaki board.

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
H o l y   S h i t .

That's awesome.

Do you take requests for faces? I can pay.

Gods ain't gonna help ya son...

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
@Stark - Absolutely. Just shoot me a PM any time you want a face done.

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
Why thank you sir. Funds are a little tight right NOW, but I will message you soon. I just got a job again.

Rep:
Level 86
Great! Amazing! yey!!!! I want to start drawing again!!! And, from the sounds of it are you in school for this? and/or 3d animation? *jealous* :) keep it up!

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

OK, so what's the speed of dark?
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Since there's a duck-billed platapus, is there just a plain platapus? If so... what does that look like?

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
@Strak - I look forward to it. I just rolled my ankle and can't walk for awhile (it looks like an amateur modeling project), so I won't be able to work for some time. Drawing is a nice source of income, since I actually enjoy it. Much better than hanging up clothes.

@FruitBodyWash - I'll be a senior in high school this year. So no specialized classes yet. I'd love to do modeling, but I remember my laptop lagging last time I tried to model something more complex than a box. That and 3DS Max's start-up time can be anywhere between five and ten minutes, depending on the day.

*Scrounges around for a picture to post*

Ah, here's a sample face:

His skin looks bad, but then again, I didn't spend too long on it.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:01:50 AM by Matthew »

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
Sucks to hear. Hope your ankle gets better soon!

BTW, You're a senior this year? No way! I'm... a senior too I guess. Canada's a bit different. We just say grade 10, 11 and 12. Correct me if I'm wrong, Freshman year is Grade 10, Sophomore is grade 11, and Senior is Grade 12?

Rep:
Level 69
freshman 9 soph10 junior 11 senior 12

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
...Really? I thought Freshman was first year in high school...

EDIT: High School starts at grade 10 in Canada. Where I live.

Rep:
Level 79
Hello
You're all fools; high school starts at grade 7. It is then divided into Junior high (i.e. the whiny brats) and Senior High (the people who can go in the mezzanine).

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
Err... Junior High can be referred to as middle school in certain places. Technically it's not High school until grade 10 (In Canada).

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I think the system varies from school to school. My high school covers grades 9-12, going freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior. I started middle school in 5th grade, but just before I graduated, they changed it so that the "upper elementary" included 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. The middle school, or junior high as some call it, now has 6th, 7th, and 8th.

So, where I live:

Elementary: Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd
Upper Elementary: 3rd, 4th, 5th
Middle School/Junior High: 6th, 7th, 8th
High School: 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th

To each school its own, I suppose.

Oh, and here's some art:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 01:04:27 AM by Matthew »

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
That makes more sense to me. Thank you for clarifying that.

EDIT: By the way, that art looks great, but something about the hair feels off...

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
I think I know what it is... The hair is touching the box, which means that it should flip out entirely (showing only the front of her hair, that is, the hair that would normally touch her bacK), instead, we have a fold of hair (showing the back of the hair to the viewer), making the scene look unnatural or posed...

Rep:
Level 86
I think the hair is fine, :) The ankle is a bit off, I think maybe the foot is a little small, and at the angle that the foot would be if her leg stays as it is (may a little tweaked, pulled up a little bit) you might have a lot more of the the bottom of the foot and heel, straight on (so not seeing as much of the side and part of the top of it, usually, if you're showing the bottom of the foot, you don't want to see much of the top. :) but everything else is great :) love the angle of the shoulders. 
P.S.  I don't know what you're using for a laptop, but I've found my computer can usually handle Lightwave. (unless I clone an object 50 times, lol... I was trying to make leaves for my tree... I have to find some other way) but the modeling itself it handles quite well, and the animation part (the Layout) is in a separate program, so it might help cut down on some of the computers "work" to do the modeling separately.  :) If I could go back, I would so get into school for 3d modeling/animation :D and lol, of course, video game creation!  (instead of the math degree I now posses :P)

"Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

OK, so what's the speed of dark?
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Since there's a duck-billed platapus, is there just a plain platapus? If so... what does that look like?

Rep:
Level 69
what might help is if you sit in the same position as your planned drawings so you can see what angles and distances would make sense for it

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
Yes, sit in the same position as your art, then look at yourself and draw.

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
Cool stuff, man.  Can't say too much more that hasn't already been said as far as critique goes.

I'd love to see more from you, keep up the good work.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
@Garygill - It's getting easier to "keep up" my work as the start of my senior year gets closer. It's almost like I draw better when I have other stuff I can put off.

@Strak & Scalinger - Someone told me that a long time ago, probably when I first started drawing. No wonder I forgot it. Thanks for the reminder.

@Fruitbodywash - My new computer came, so I don't have to worry about hardware limitations anymore. I haven't gone into Layout yet, but the modeler program works well.

A quick sketch made of another quick sketch from awhile ago to see how much I've improved. My line economy is inconsistent, but I know I'm capable of drawing more smoothly than that. And, obviously, I didn't spend much time on her wings. Even less on the color portion. It seems like I'm satisfied with less whenever I use GIMP.

So, back to Sai and Photoshop.

Drawing bladed wings is not an easy task (and they don't even look bladed). Actually, it's not that hard. It just takes longer than I'd like. This is why I haven't ventured into Flash yet. I have all these ideas for short movies and such, but the thought of animating things that took hours to draw as still images is a little daunting.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 02:14:28 AM by Matthew »

I saw a squirrel...
Rep:
Level 82
...it got in my way.
Actually, I was expressing major sarcasm towards Scalinger. It might be a good idea, but the way Scalinger worded his post made me think he wanted you to draw while in the same pose as your art, which could end in disaster.

[/confusion]

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
D'oh. We really do need a sarcasm font on the Internet. A sitting pose is pretty easy to emulate, though, and I think he was referring to the picture with the girl sitting on the box. Yes, drawing a guy leaping through a window with an explosion behind him would be pretty hard to draw if I was trying to mirror it. I still have two weeks of immobility left because of a really simple injury in soccer from two weeks ago, so I don't even want to imagine the results of emulating an action scene.

That reminds me: when you're drawing a face, stop and don't move a single muscle. Then think of what kind of expression you have. Odds are it's the exact same one as the character in your picture. So, yes, when you're drawing a grouchy old goon, you might just look like a constipated goat.

Rep:
Level 69
Sorry, I didn't know I was the only one who could draw while busting through windows, guess you guys aren't as ninja :p

Last Stop
Rep:
Level 88
Everyone Off
Secret Santa 2013 ParticipantFor taking arms in the name of your breakfast.Secret Santa 2012 ParticipantSilver - GIAW 10Silver - GIAW 92011 Biggest Drama WhoreBronze - GIAW HalloweenGold - Game In A Week VII
you're so cool :V

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
My ninja days are over. Turns out that simple injury I talked about was actually a fracture and some torn ligaments and I might never be able to run again. I got laid off because of it, missed my senior year of soccer, and my ankle randomly collapses when I'm walking or even standing.

. . . So now I can draw all the time.

Started this during the summer and put it off till yesterday. Last 2 panels are October 4.

An island in the sky. A friend in school asked me to draw it for him, so I did. And yes, I know every artist and their mom has drawn this.

Some traditional line art:

Rep:
Level 83
fear me...
Hrm... your landscape art could use some work... For starters, look at some trees, you see they are much more complex than trunks and branches.

Normally, I do it so that each branch is 1/n the size of where it came from, where n= the number of branches coming from that point. So, if you have three branches coming from the trunk, each branch would be 1/3 the width of the trunk. Then, this continues until you have twigs.

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
I'll draw a few trees in art class today. For now, have another practice scene:

Varied Artist
Rep:
Level 87
So sorry to hear about the injury, man.  You took it really well, though.

Are those angels fighting?

Rep:
Level 75
Artist and Writer
Yeah, they are. Going to be, anyway. I'd like to do a follow-up pic at some point with them blasting stuff at each other or one flying through the fire blast cast by the other or something.

Commission for a friend: her character (18) in two outfits, then the same girl 10 years later.

if you try & edit my custom title i will hack you
Rep:
Level 66
Im PRO get used to it!
OMG! those are soooooooooo cool! i like the pencil drawn ones better.... not really a fan of  non hand drawn pictures. but even the non hand drawn ones are awesome!!!!shoop:

Spoiler for projects:
God of Darkness
Devils nest
Unnamed Games(2)
The CREW experience